A new walk thru for door part installation.

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

foodstick

A new walk thru for door part installation.

Post by foodstick »

Well I haven't retested this since I wrote it, but I tried to take notes ..and I THINK it will help people that haven't had much luck at this MAJOR job before.

Before starting make sure all the areas something bolts to, or pops into is straight and square like it should be.

Also there is a small bolt hole in the bottom back section of the vent rubber I opened up with a leather punch..this needs to be done in my opinion...the same for the vent shaft if it isn't open, I had some grease that doesn't harm plastic or rubber,
( from my slot car supplies) I put some on the vent post before final assembly of the vent.

1. Install rear striker latch in the back of the jamb area..

2. Install door handle, and plastic gasket that goes between door and handle.

3. Install lock in door, and attach the lock arm to the small bar that attaches the lock to the striker latch.

4. put the separator bar in the door, put the top up and inside near the top hinge area,the bottom of the bar back to the back lower corner of door opening...and use a slow rolling movement to get it in the door, sort of turn it like a rolling pin until it works in.. I might add I have cut a short piece off of the bar before to make it easier, its not necessary though.

5.set glass in door back against the outer skin, make sure you have the correct one, channel open towards you.

6. once separator bar is up and through the window slot in the top of the door slowly work the separator bar back towards
the rear of the door. It doesn't have to be all the way.

7. Put the vent window with new rubber installed in to place,, i used a LITTLE armor all on it to keep it a little slippery.. use the chord in the vent rubber channel like carpenter suggests ... and just lightly tighten the two screws thru the front door jamb. There is a hole thru the bottom of the vent rubber that I used a leather cutting punch to open all the way thru.. otherwise it will be tough to get the bolt started, and it can be tricky..

8. Install the window regulator with the arm in the rolled up position, Whenever something seems to bind... gently rolling the window up or down usually helps. it is good to watch inside the door while rolling it , to see any conflicts..

9. Now work the separator bar forward and the vertical part will need to be behind the regulator arm, you want the regulator arm to end up inside the U shaped attachment area.
Once again sometimes you need to roll the window up and down a bit to work things out.

10. Install 2 screws loosely on the top of the separator bar in the door.

11. Straighten the tab at the bottom of the lower back channel. Next put in the lower back channel with 3 screws thru the back of the door. This is the piece that holds the bottom of the
flexi glass run.

12. Slide the new flexi glass run down through the window opening, making sure to catch the flange on the lower 1/3 in the slot of the lower channel. practice how the flexi and the rear channel interlock before installing.. so it is easy to understand.

13 Work in the glass run making sure the plugs line up with the holes in the door channels, I had to remove some of the length from both ends to get a good fit. A Dremel with a cutting wheel is PRICELESS here.. Dremels will save you grief all the time !

14. bend the tong up to hold the flexi channel in the lower rear steal channel.

15. When everything looks lined up, start popping in the plastic buttons, using a piece of wood like carpenter suggests.

16. tighten the vent down in, pull the chord around the seal to get it out on the edge of the door. There is the one annoying little screw that goes down thru the bottom of the vent, and into the separation bar I left this until almost last, but it could probably be done here...

17. lift the glass into place, put the arm in the wheel that goes in the channel, make sure the snap ring is working and holding the glass.
and position the separator bar back to hold the glass, then tighten.

18. start tightening everything down, looking for any problems or conflicts.

19. Now install the fuzzie pieces at the spot , where the glass comes thru the door.

20. Next install the inside handle opening mechanism. Once you get the back bar locked onto the latch , roll the window up and down to allow room for the front of the mechanism , and so the shaft can come up and through the door.
mrgoob

Re: A new walk thru for door part installation.

Post by mrgoob »

getting ready to do this myself so thank you for the write up.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I really think this order worked better than anytime before.

After i realized it was working so well i started to take notes, and then double checked them again on the second door.. prepare to have a nice work stool, a light and some patience.

It was also the easiest way to do it alone that I have found, and there was never really a point where I felt I was risking harm to the paint job..
Another huge advantage is if you have some spare door innards laying around to look at and say, thats how that bar goes over the part, etc. there are a couple places you need to KNOW what you are doing exactly with your fingertips, because you just can't get your head and arms in at the same time.

I will be glad to hear if anyone tries this and has good luck, I have definitely heard people with horror stories,
and I personally have had to stop and back track myself before on this job !
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

thanks for the post. I have the parts for this job in box since I ordered them a looong time ago. I been dreadeding this job since then. This will help.
Rusted64
United States of America

Post by Rusted64 »

Great instructions.

I am doing this process right now and this is proving helpful.

Thanks,

J
1964 F100, 292ci

1963 Buick Wildcat, 401ci

They just don't make them like they used to.
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

I just put a door together using your fine instructions. Much easier than I thought it would be. Thanks

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Hey I missed this post somehow, I am glad it worked well for you.

Just re-read my instructions, wow it still seems confusing ! ;) Its a tough job to do (with a fresh paint job on the truck) if you haven't done it lately.
JeffinMooresville
United States of America

Post by JeffinMooresville »

Almost 11 years later, still good post. Getting ready to tackle this on the Green Truck.
Jeff in Mooresville
63 Flareside and 65 Styleside projects underway