changing the speed gear in transmission

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

changing the speed gear in transmission

Post by shipwrecked »

The three speed ford manual transmission I have has a bad speedometer gear.

Make sure you do this where you can find the small ball bearing, and get your hands in the vicinity so you can use the good set of snap ring pliers.
Inside that little hole, is where the speedometer cable to the dash is connected. Small splined gear is attached in the cable.

Remove the 5 bolts holding the extension housing on. There is an dust/oil seal inside there as well you will need to replace.

Get a good set of snap ring pliers. Be careful you don't shoot your eye out.
Remove the snap ring, and the old gear. There will be a small ball bearing sitting in a hole there. Don't recommend doing this on the grass.

Check out the new gear going on. Has a recess for the ball bearing.Image

Then put the snap ring back on.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
Michelle
United States of America

Re: changing the speed gear in transmission

Post by Michelle »

The drive gear and the driven gear. I have had to replace a drive gear a few times over the years when changing rear end ratios. I have found if your ratio change is not to drastic that you can do the job by just changing the driven gear. However if it is a bigger change in ratio you will have to end up changing the drive gear and more than likely the driven gear too.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.