Saving a Patina Finish 64 Ford F100 WHAT WORKED FOR YOU?

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

61sleepercab
United States of America

Saving a Patina Finish 64 Ford F100 WHAT WORKED FOR YOU?

Post by 61sleepercab »

I am researching how to seal/save the patina finish on my 64 Ford Sleeping Beauty. She appears to be originally Turquoise Green with a coat of Safety Yellow over that with a peeling coat of dull white on top. I have some surface rust. I want to keep the under a tree (minus the leaves) barn fine look while sealing the body from further active rust. The top white paint is chalky and peeling and I plan to wet sand/buff to solid paint. QUESTION: I DO NOT WANT TO REINVENT THE WHEEL HERE WITH THE PATINA FINISH....... WHAT HAS WORKED ON YOUR TRUCK? I have heard of boiled linseed oil which is a oil base paint base being rubbed in. I have heard of using cleaning wax and then a hard coat of wax to seal. What have you used with success. Thanks for any tips and buy the way I searched patina with not much how to info. Thanks Mark.
I have slow internet right now and cannot post pictures again. I put some on the site recently but not sure how to link here. i am better with wrench than a computer mouse.
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: Saving a Patina Finish 64 Ford F100 WHAT WORKED FOR YOU?

Post by slick4x4 »

Wet sand
Turtle wax

Should give you the look your after :clap:
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
61sleepercab
United States of America

Post by 61sleepercab »

Thanks for the info. I will surf you tube when my computer speed recovers from my data limit tilt. I am in the three S's right now in the process, steering, starting and stopping.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I believe I have heard of people scuffing it, cleaning..and shooting a flat clear on top.. but I have never seen it in person to know what it looks like fresh, or down the road away.
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

I would give it a good bath using CLR(calcium lime rust) and then satin clear.

Mike
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

x2 on what Mike said CLR wash with a green abrasive scrubber.... if you dont want to clear just wax it

Danny
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

I used boiled linseed oil on mine and it worked well. Very easy to do. Wipe on, wipe off. Here's a hint though. If your doing a two tone paint with one of the tones being white, use a different rag on the white so you dont bleed the other color onto the white. Mine is red and white and if I used the same rag on the red as I did the white, the white would have a pinkish tint to it.
BlurredImages

Post by BlurredImages »

I recently learned about Penetrol. It is said to be less greasy than Linseed Oil. Here is one video of many:

https://youtu.be/IM4IcjVOsxM
Masterguns
United States of America

Post by Masterguns »

I used KBS diamond clear on mine. It is a gloss clear coat, but I had to put something on it living in the area that I do. The diamond clear was the only product that I could find that would guarantee to stick to anything, including bare metal and surface rust. There are plenty of pics in my album to see what it looks like.
Semper Fidelis

1961 f100 Unibody BBW
2002 Excursion 7.3 (the bus)
1982 Bronco
2017 F150
2017 Mustang GT/CS