Installing rear window glass

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

daleshotrodshop
United States of America

Installing rear window glass

Post by daleshotrodshop »

I have been doing a build on a 1966 F100. Today I was installing the rear window glass and decided to do a short tech article.

The truck ready for window installation

The tools I use a plastic trim pry bar and a curved pick.

I use 14 gauge multi-strand electrical wire. Nylon rope works I just prefer the wire myself. Put the weatherstrip on the glass and insert the wire into the groove of the weatherstrip leaving a few inches out at the bottom on both sides leaving about six inches with no wire inserted. I never use sealer in my forty plus years of doing glass I have never had one leak.

I work alone so I inserted the window weatherstrip over the lower window opening and taped the window in place at the top. I also laid blankets on the cab floor just to be safe.

The wire is now ready to be pulled. Do a few inches at a time alternating side to side.

The wire has now been pulled to the lower corner on both sides. As you begin to work the corners use the plastic pry bar to help pull the lip of the weatherstrip over the cab as you pull the wire. Keep the process of working a few inches at a time alternating side to side. You can also reach around inside the cab and push on the window as you work the weatherstrip into place.

Once you get the wire past the corners you have it made. Simply continue to pull the wire until you meet the center. Take your plastic pry bar and put it under the lip of the weatherstrip run it all the way around the window. You are now done.

Finished total time start to finish 32 minutes including clean up.

Finished looking from the front

My five month long build nearing completion.
If we learn from our mistakes I should be Einstein by now.
mercuryv8
Canada

Re: Installing rear window glass

Post by mercuryv8 »

Cool, thanks

Nic
slickstysix
United States of America

Post by slickstysix »

I need to replace the gasket on my 66. Did you use soap like other people have suggested to lube the gasket? Does it matter if you start from the inside or outside of the cab?
Thanx in advance!

SSS
1966 SB, 2WD, 390FE, 3x2 6V carbs and intake, 3 on-the-tree (for now).
- Power brakes
- Pertronix electronic ignition
- Ron Francis wiring throughout
- DJM drop beams
- Halibrand Sprint 17x8 wheels
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

You forgot one really important fact ....if your window has been out of the truck for years, and you don't recall taking it out. The window install from inside the cab, not from outside ...like the windshield. DON"T ASK ! hahahahahahhahahahaha

Seal on window ..check
chord in rubber ...check
window popped in smooth .. check

DOH!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

:idea: :iagree:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ROOSTER
United States of America

Post by ROOSTER »

I just installed my rear window in my 61 Uni. Went in just like Dale said. I also used wire. Easy as pie. I used window cleaner to lube the gasket and no sealer. Much easier if you have a helper. And yes like Foodstick said "From the inside".

Dave
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

And now for the Custom Cab windshields!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Well…I am a new member of the "back glass install by yourself club".
Work on removal of old seal and glass yesterday evening. not bad just used a razor blade box knife.
This morning started the install of it with cord and Dow Corning Silicone. all done, tools put away and cleaned up by noon. Lots of sweat and staring at the process, while I rested my fingers and forearms. I'm gettin' older and slower. but it's done.

Best tip I read on here BUT didn't use AND wish I had was to file or grind smooth the edges of the window frame- help pull the cord through clean without tearing something.

My local pro guy wanted 100 bucks for the job, which is worth it. But I had the time and perseverance to stay with it.

Now I have to consider the front with Custom Cab trim and if I should tackle that! He quoted 100 on that one too! Man up or pay up? :lol:
Last edited by bird55 on January 31, 2015, 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Man up if you can find a pair of helping hands.
Pay up if you trust the man and cant find an extra set of hands.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

What are you using silicone on? The gasket is what seals the glass, and in the event that after installation, the window won't pass a "Water Test", then a quick trip by the glass shop for an injection of liquid butyl under the gasket should remedy the problem, but no self respecting glass shop (or body shop) that I know of would use RTV silicone on a rubber gasket.............

bird55 wrote:Well…I am a new member of the "back glass install by yourself club".
Work on removal of old seal and glass yesterday evening. not bad just used a razor blade box knife.
This morning started the install of it with cord and Dow Corning Silicone. all done, tools put away and cleaned up by noon. Lots of sweat and staring at the process, while I rested my fingers and forearms. I'm gettin' older and slower. but it's done.

Best tip I read on here BUT didn't use AND wish I had was to file or grind smooth the edges of the window frame- help pull the cord through clean without tearing something.

My local pro guy wanted 100 bucks for the job, which is worth it. But I had the time and perseverance to stay with it.

Now I have to consider the front with Custom Cab trim and if I should tackle that! He quoted 100 on that one too! Man up or pay up? :lol:
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

jamesdfo wrote:What are you using silicone on? The gasket is what seals the glass, and in the event that after installation, the window won't pass a "Water Test", then a quick trip by the glass shop for an injection of liquid butyl under the gasket should remedy the problem, but no self respecting glass shop (or body shop) that I know of would use RTV silicone on a rubber gasket.............
[/quote]

No…I didn't use Silicone RTV. I used Dow Corning aircraft silicone lube. And yes the gasket is sealed up well as it is
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Bird55: Yup, probably slid in there like a hot damn with that silicone lube, the downside is in the event it did not pass a water test, it would be VERY difficult to get the liquid butyl to adhere to the gasket/pinchweld now that it's all covered in silicone :(

If you ever do another, try doing it dry, I've never had a problem........

Oh, and my weapon of choice for roping it in is the nylon "pull start" cord you can buy at most hardware/small engine shops by the foot:)
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I'm waiting for the Custom Cab big window unibody install tutorial!

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
61 Merc
Canada

Post by 61 Merc »

I always understood that the windows are to be mounted from the outside, there is no way to do that from the inside if it is a big back window or if you have stainless in the seal. It should be no different than installing the front windows.

Dean
61 Mercury SWB Uni - Project
62 Mercury SWB BBW - Race truck
63 Ford SWB Uni - Daily driver (Jinx)
63 Ford SWB Uni - Parts truck
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Well, to re-incarnate this post; yes, the window installs and removes from the inside, with the exception of the big back windows. A close look at the gasket will reinforce that fact.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
pete65ford
United States of America

Post by pete65ford »

To also revive the post, I also need to do this, I need to ask, where did you get the weather stripping from? Thank you!
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Dennis Carpenter
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
pete65ford
United States of America

Post by pete65ford »

unibody madness, Thank you! I see that Dennis Carpenter looks like the place to go for many things needed.