Way off topic, chainsaw question

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

willy3486

Way off topic, chainsaw question

Post by willy3486 »

I have a poulan wild thing chainsaw I bought new I am working on. It has a really good engine and because of that I have put some money into it. I have replaced the sprocket that the chain is pulled with. I also replaced the brake that stops the sprocket. Before I did this the chain would come off quickly when I started it. Now it stays on but the chain and bar gets really hot, more than it use to. Another thing it does is that the chain while cutting a log tends to get stuck and will not spin, I have to rock it to get it loose. It will barely cut through the log. It has a new chain on it as well. I got a new bar this weekend while I was out to put on it as well but I have not tried it with that. I looked at the saw again and I found out the worm gear on the oiler is worn and does not oil the chain. I am thinking this is the reason it gets hot.

My question is since the oiler is not oiling the chain could this be why the chain is getting stuck in the wood as it cuts. I am going to get either a new oiler gear or a new oiler next week. The chain is new so it should cut better. I am thinking the friction is causing so much heat it is expanding the metal chain. Even though I have bought a lot of parts I think if I can get it to cut good that it will be worth it. It will be about 50-75 bucks cheaper to fix it than get new one like it, plus the engine runs great. I also have too much invested in fixing it to quit now. So does it sould like the oiler not working could be causing the issue of it getting too hot and also not cutting?
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Sounds like a good possibility with no oil things get hot. Bar & chain are proper for the saw?
Tom Williams
willy3486

Post by willy3486 »

The bar and chain crossed referenced to the saw. I havn't tried the bar yet , I want to get the oiler first. I did run it a little without the bar,chain,cover ir sprocket on. The shaft was only thing spinning. I let it run a minute or so and the oiler never pumped any oil out. The oiler gear teeth are worn down in one place.
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

lack of oil will do what you are descrbing. i had an old mcculluh (sp) that wouldn't oil very well and the chain would freeze on the bar if you didn't keep after it.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

lack of oil sounds like the problem... have you tried just squirting some oil on it ?
just take an oil can and try it...if it works, then theres your problem
if not ......
they make different size gauge chain... i am talking about the part that fits down in the bar....
i have seen guys get the wrong gauge because the bar had so much groove wear...
but after it ran it would start to sieze up....
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Falcon Interceptor

Post by Falcon Interceptor »

I have a few tricks I've picked up.
You should be able to run it full throttle and sling oil off the chain, point it at something. If you can't, it's not getting enough oil.
When we get a new bar, we cut a groove from the oiler up to the top of the bar to increase oil flow.
As far a sticking in the wood, that most likely happens when someone files down the depth gauges when sharpening, makes it take a bigger bite that your saw doesn't have the power for.
Also just take the chain off the bar and compare it to the new one, if the sprocket tip flops around or doesn't roll freely with your fingers, use the new one.
Also again if the bar is older, it may have flared out slightly from the chain riding on it and the bar can actually be wider than the chain.
I make a decent living with those noisy little wood chippers, Chainsaw carving for about 8yrs now. My dad taught me some things. We use the small poulan bars on our 50cc saws.
Oh and your bar shouldn't stretch more than the chain, if it is getting too hot the chain should keep getting loose, which may cause it to fall off.
Image 64 shorty, 300 big block, T-19, 3.89
1961 slickwilly

Post by 1961 slickwilly »

my stilh farm boss does that from time to time it was because i cut so much and didnt clean out the cover where the sprocket and chain are on the motor and it would stop up the oiler clean it out and go again but dont let your chain get to hot it could ruin it