New build

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jammck66

New build

Post by jammck66 »

Hey guys. on my way to pick up my 66 f-100 towards the end of the month. already have an LMC truck catalog ordered. wondering about the frame? are there any weak links that should be addressed while the cab and box are off? I will be stripping it (blasting) and repainting it. also would like info on changing out front ends to the IFS. is it really worth all the extra costs? or is the twin beam good?
thanks
1966 F-100. Family heirloom. (the bale hauler)
2007 can-am outlander 800XT
2007 2500 dodge c/c s/b hemi. (JUNK!!!!)
2003 F-350 8" BDS lift. 6.0L-- BIG & FAST!-- looking for an automatic trans.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Welcome to the club from West Virginia... wave.gif ... I enjoyed the drum/drum, twin I set up on my '67 when I had it. but it was not a hot rod or tow rig, just a simple good looking every day ride with a small 240 Inline 6 in it. Your in the right place for opinions and you'll probably be swimming in what to do's... :lol: :lol: :lol: a very knowledgeable group here to help you up grade.... again, Welcome aboard,
Anthony
jammck66

Post by jammck66 »

agreed, this will DEFINATLEY NOT be a hot rod. I do plan on upgrading the straight six with a large CID V-8. but thats about it. all I want out of this is a CLEAN straight build that represents what the truck has been, is and will be. straight enough to be a daily driver (summer only!) but still clean enough to be a show piece. this will NOT be a trailer queen, but will still be a frame up resto.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

With the v-8 comes speed , although my Straight 6 did do 70 on the highway for 4 hour stretches I didn't consider front discs for stopping. I think most will agree that you should look into the disk brake swap for the front. I like the straight 6's and probably wouldn't put discs on one of mine. I do drive mine everyday but mostly as a commuter for work and weekend cruise-ins. I think that you should consider the discs...Just my :2cents: .
Anthony
jammck66

Post by jammck66 »

yea, I'll probably just look at getting the front disc conversion kits. and leaving well enough alone for the IFS. I think this is only for hardcore builders. as well as pushing the $4000 mark. its got a decent twin beam set-up on it now. im going to blast the frame and repaint, then start on the basics. rad supprt, inner fenders, outers, and redoing the interior.
(a big one)
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

im with Anthony on keeping my drums but that all depends on how your using the truck.

whatever you do so long as you keep up the maintenance should be fine.
here we change tires 2x a year winter and summer so all the shoes get looked at when i do that.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton