Steering wheel horn ring vs. horn center cap ??

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ClanCassidy

Steering wheel horn ring vs. horn center cap ??

Post by ClanCassidy »

Hi all,

My 65 currently has a stock 3-spoke steering wheel with the horn being activated by a chrome center cap about 3" in diameter. I've been thinking about upgrading to a horn ring which has 3 spokes and a rim that aligns with the outside rim of the steering wheel.

While the horn ring looks nicer (in my opinion), I'm a bit concerned it might be a hassle while driving. Specifically, I don't want to constantly be honking the horn by mistake as I drive.

Any feedback for or against horn rings would be appreciated.

Thanks.

John.
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

You shouldn't have any problems. It's a little easier to honk the horn with the horn ring since it's closer to the wheel rim. But it's not so close you will be smacking it everytime you turn the wheel.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i like the ring better myself. only issue is if the spring behind it is not holding enough tension it could rattle a bit on bumpy roads.

ford made some steering wheels that had the horn in the outer rim of the wheel.if you squeezed to hard on the wheel it would beep.dont remember what car i had that it was in.possibly early 70s torino or cougar.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
61ford

Post by 61ford »

are they repop those?
Ryan

61 Ford f100 Unibody short bed
351w/Aod
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

You are correct Iceman!
I had 71 Torino with the "rim-blow horn"
I believe they were options on Mustangs and others. No re-pops and VERY pricey to get.

Tim
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.