Radiator Interchangeability

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

DanSanDiego2000

Radiator Interchangeability

Post by DanSanDiego2000 »

In looking for a new radiator for my 1965 F100, I came across a couple different suppliers. Local parts stores don't seem to list 6 cylinder radiators, and even eBay suppliers have limited listings.
One listing showed availability of 1966-1979, but they say 1966 is different from 1965. If it fits a 66, shouldn't it fit a 65? I know F100 F250 F350 makes a difference in 240 or 300 engine availability, but water pump and thermostat locations on the L6 engines don't change, just the engine stroke.
Because the 6 cylinder radiators were not available 6 years ago or so, my dad and I installed the V8 radiator (with just a little custom radiator hose work.... otherwise bolted-in the same). That radiator has since corroded away, and I need to replace it. Re-cored radiators are EX$PENSIVE in SoCal, so I'd like to buy one over-the-counter..... just have to make sure it fits.
I am going to call the eBay store again Monday for more details, but I did confirm the core size, outlet locations, bolt spacing, etc., of the item they list for $140 (lifetime warranty, 3-row)
Are they over-complicating this?? Am I?? If their 1966-1979 listing is supposed to include 1965, then I'll luck out, and so will they. Help??

Thanks.

Dan
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Dan.
I used a late model ('75-79) 4 core out of an E-150 van and it fit pretty damn good.
Got it new at a swap meet for $50.00 because the guy didn't know what it fit.
My truck is a '63 and I had to build a fan shroud because it didn't fit up close to the fan, and make a few minor modifications (for the shroud) to the core support, but it bolted right in and works very well.
Pictures if you want them.
I'm guessing that any of the radiators for F and E series trucks and vans up thru 79 would bolt in.
As far as I can remember, the mounting spacers might be the thing that's different.
Get a BFH and make it fit :wink:
The only thing I'd be really concerned about is the spacing between the fan and the radiator (close is good) and the outlet locations.
Lower one is on the drivers side, upper one is on the passenger side.
Also, even if you don't have one now, make sure it has the lower cooling tank for an automatic transmission. That way if you ever decide to upgrade to an automatic, you don't have to change the radiator again.
Good luck.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

65 and 66 have different core supports, thats why the rad. is different.
the flanges are different .other than that they are the same .
to use that you would have to have the flanges unsoldered,swap sides,
or get the correct flanges from a junk 65 radiator and resolder them on
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Iceman is right,,,, On my wrecker I used the side straps off the original radiator & had them soldered to the 66 Radiator,
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

I have inserted pictures from my gallery here. The first 2 are of my '66 radiator, and the second 2 are of my '65 parts truck - soon to go away.
[albumimg]1538[/albumimg]

[albumimg]1537[/albumimg]

[albumimg]1536[/albumimg]

[albumimg]1535[/albumimg]
DanSanDiego2000

Replies are great

Post by DanSanDiego2000 »

Thanks for the replies, guys. You all made good points. I can clearly see from the Picks from BanjoPicker66, that the brackets are reversed from one year to the next. So....... my thought is this:

If I use the '66 radiator, with my '65 radiator support, the radiator (provided the holes are right), will bolt up but sit back a couple inches. My L6 240 fan has a 2" spacer (or so), that could be eliminated. My hope is that the '66 radiator, no fan spacer, would move everything back (with clearance??) and allow room up front for an A/C condensor and/or an intercooler (one of my other goals). If eliminating the fan spacer alone was not enough clearance, maybe replacing the mechanical fan altogether with an electric pusher would help all-around.

Your thoughts??

Dan
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

That is exactly what I did when I put a '76 390 A/C system on my '66 352 and the factory fan spacer.
I put spacers between the radiatro and the core support (it doesn't have the '65 core support extensions there), and put a condensor between the radiator and the core support.
It didn't fit too well, as I tried to adapt a condensor from a '76 LTD, but it did the job.
I took it all out when I went with a 460, and used the serpentine belts. That setup includes a Sanden compressor already, so I will be able to easily add A/C later.