NASCAR[-crap]

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

FORDBOYpete

NASCAR[-crap]

Post by FORDBOYpete »

The COT as the BigWhigs at NASCAR affectionately call the Car Of Tomorrow is a unification or averaging of cars
of last year + all the years before. :hm: The COT adheres to a unified set of "specs" so all cars are "equal" as possible. A great deal of engineering has been put into structure, viability & safety in the "COT". :boohoo:

NASCAR rearranged chassis tubular design against frontal / side impact loading & impact related stress factors. Also flexation & handling characteristics have been " homoginized" or averaged across all models. All vehicles have been more or less averaged out which IMHO makes every race left up to fate & chance as opposed to team or drivers skill, intelligence, and the "best" car/ driver winning any given race. :dontknow:

To me it appears to be an exercise in Mediocrity if you were to ask. Small wonder "BP" and Bobby HAMILTON cashed on their chips B4 the 2007 running of the Daytona 500 this year. :cry:

Instead of a spoiler COTs use a wing, but unlike other modern features also used on Champ, IRL and Formula vehicles, NASCAR still prohibits the Driver from trimming for conditions. As a side note the only reason F-14, F-15, F-16, F-18 and now the JSF & Raptor pilots have control over their craft is the ability to "trim for conditions.

NASCAR [should that be CASHCAR? ] has the grip on turning a Buck as in $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, but has lost sight of its' original mission if bringing Quality Championship Racing to the Public arena where I feel it belongs anyway. . . . . :thumright:

Maybe I'm not Main Stream enough, or maybe I'm just another Old FA *T, but I feel NASCAR has lost sight of Bill France Sr's Mission in the blizzards of Dollar bills they collect nowadays. I may not be wrong though. . . . it's late and they have lots of Daytona 500 Tickets availablle, that is unusual For sure :hm: :oops:

FBp :cheers: :sleepy2: :hello: :2cents:
Change is the Only Constant
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

FBP, you are right. The COT is pure rice. And just as in years past, the cars wont be equal. Just let Ford show any dominance and watch how fast the aero penalities are slapped on. NASCAR used to pass out a rule book and say "gentlemen, go build your cars". Now days we almost have a different book for every track and every manufacturer. When everybody worked out of one book, Fords were dominant. I wish the would go back to running showroom bodies. That would slow'em down and still have a good show. That was the idea behind stock car racing, win on Sunday, sell on Monday.
Jim
F-Zilla

Post by F-Zilla »

It's not really the Car Of Tomorrow, it's really the Camary Of Tomorrow! Think it's a quincedence that the COT and the Camary join Nascar in the same year? It was just announce that Toyota racing is building a plant near Salisbury NC just up the road from Charlotte. Now why does Toyota Racing need a plant? Toyota is going to change the sport from Teams and drivers racing each other to a corporation racing against teams and drivers. Toyota does not want to compete, they want to conquer. Are the Toyota team owners really owners or are they just employees? Are all the Toyota motors and chassis going to come out of this plant to be issued to the teams?
BUY FORD, SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MOTOR COMPANY!

65 F100
66 F100
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Well even though we had this discussion a week ago, you are preaching to the choir here.. I agree with every word said so far.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

A week ago I had only seen photos of the COT.
But right now, well not really right this minute since it's raining here, they're driving COTs around Daytona in final testing sessions prior to the 500 in a couple weeks from now. :woohoo: :dontknow:

COTs are slightly larger than traditional "cup cars". They do resemble a Camry though. . . . . "Hah an' all these years I thought a camry was fer takin pixtures with ? ? ?" :hm:

FBp :peepwall:
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Well thats lucky for ya Pete!, Other than Cascar (now defunct) cars from the Player's challenge, and one Dale Earnhart backup car I saw in the NASCAR Cafe in Las Vegas, I have ONLY seen those cars in pictures, ever. Winston/Nextel cup cars I mean. :cry:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ABA

Post by ABA »

If they want everything so equal why don't they just run 36 IROC races?

TV ratings are dropping so lets see how they respond to empty seats in the stands.

RIP BP and Bobby :(
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
61ford

Post by 61ford »

far as im concerned since there putting that rice burner wing on it might as well drop civic 4 bangers in them and some weed eater exhaust and just top it off
Ryan

61 Ford f100 Unibody short bed
351w/Aod
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Before the "Cup" series started, that division was called "Grand National". Real stock cars that had the showroom appearance. Naturally the engine, trans, rear end suspension were modified for racing. But Fords looked like Fords, Chevys like Chevys, etc. When they brought the English wheel into the shops, that was the beginning of the end..................
Jim
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

JC
This Ain't Nuttin' Yet. . . . .Once Speed weeks starts every PoDunk Mom & Pop grocery store and strip mall gets a "show car" from one venue or another all week long, and the population in Daytona Bch nearly tripples. :?

Then it's Bike Weeks, where population quadruples & has a low throbbing pulse to it for 2 weeks, They scrape wannabes off the pavement @ every 20th intersection. Don't know what makes traffic worse, Bikes in Hoards, Or EMT Vehicles picking 'em up off the pavement? If y'are interested you can rent a Hoggly Didleson, 2 wheeler, for the duration if ya like. Try getting stuck behind those suckers, HAH! Can't Ride & don't know where they are or where they're going either. I'm looking for a bumpersticker that says "NOT ALL OF US ARE ON VACATION, you know?" :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:

Then Spring Break. . . . I'm a tad beyond the "spring break thing" it's just a Pita with younguns wandering into traffic chasing BiKiNi Clad Vixens. . . . Some sort of a Mating ritual or something I think :roll: :woohoo: :cheers: :burp: :peepwall:

FBp 8)
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Sounds like someone needs to call up one o' them firefightin' P3's and hit the place with a few passes of the red stuff!
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
didgeytrucker

Post by didgeytrucker »

jakdad wrote:Before the "Cup" series started, that division was called "Grand National". Real stock cars that had the showroom appearance. Naturally the engine, trans, rear end suspension were modified for racing. But Fords looked like Fords, Chevys like Chevys, etc. When they brought the English wheel into the shops, that was the beginning of the end..................

Take a look at Junior Johnson's "Yellow Banana" 1966 Galaxie. Half the bottom headlights are behind the bumper and the rear deck slopes up instead of down.

But I agree, this season NASCAR is getting so close to being a huge IROC series. If the cars don't have brand stickers, I can't tell the Fords from the GM's (and now Toyota's). I hope the Wood Brothers Ford is still running #21 cause that's who I root for (when I remember there's a race on).

Tracy
1956 F-100 Panel w/429 (3.50 9")
1966 F-100 SWB w/351C (3.25 9" - 3.70 posi for Saturday nights)
Music City F-100's,
1965 GT-350 S/C (2.78 1st & 3.70 TracLok 9")
Music City Mustang Club
1969 Schwinn StingRay
Don't focus on the destination....make the JOURNEY the adventure
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

didgeytrucker wrote:
jakdad wrote:Before the "Cup" series started, that division was called "Grand National". Real stock cars that had the showroom appearance. Naturally the engine, trans, rear end suspension were modified for racing. But Fords looked like Fords, Chevys like Chevys, etc. When they brought the English wheel into the shops, that was the beginning of the end..................

Take a look at Junior Johnson's "Yellow Banana" 1966 Galaxie. Half the bottom headlights are behind the bumper and the rear deck slopes up instead of down.

But I agree, this season NASCAR is getting so close to being a huge IROC series. If the cars don't have brand stickers, I can't tell the Fords from the GM's (and now Toyota's). I hope the Wood Brothers Ford is still running #21 cause that's who I root for (when I remember there's a race on).

Tracy

Boy that was an old hump back car, but it worked. Very fast. It was so dominant that I don't think NASCAR wanted Junior to bring it back. Freddie gave it a good ride in the 400 and was leading when he wrecked.
Jim
kid2

Post by kid2 »

Nascar is on the downhill slide I think. Like i said before I am a fan of run-what-ya-brung and if you can make it fast and win by many laps then that is good. All Nascar is going to do by implementing that everything is the same in Engines, body, and everything else is what happened to the ASA Series. They all had the same engine and eveything else to save money ( that was their Story ) and the Series was defunk in just a few Years, same thing is on the horizon for Nascar. I seen Today they are advertising there are still seats for Daytona. I think it is funny that you can watch a race and see the empty seats as the camera scans but it doesnt focus on the empty ones. Nascar trying to go Global and competing with Formula 1 oversees will never succeed. O Well that is my Opinion anyway...............Kid
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

Hey Yeah kid you're so right! :thumright: :roll:
FWIW, Local TV ads for Seats at NASCARs Dayt.500 are a real PITA. Time was they sold out 90 days ahead BUT "Not No More", I see.. . . . :cheers:

Not sure if it's the homogenous "IROC" profile of the '07 COTs, or the 3 digit price tag for the cheap seats. Either anyhow for my :2cents: both reasons are a disincentive to pay attention anymore. It all seems like :bs:

Call me "Ol' Fashioned, but I always thought "racin" was about winning the race, not laying back thru most of it, then pouncing out in last several laps, and with team help sometimes too, to take the win away from the guy who raced the whole race . . . WUWT? (What's Up With That) :dontknow:
Hey ain't that sandbagging? :hm:

FBp :peepwall: :boohoo: :sleepy2:
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

At nearby Chicagoland Speedway, the only way to get tickets is to buy a season pass. I can go to the Indy races for free anytime I want. The ticket owners only want to see the Busch and Nextel races. Indy car races don't have the following because all the cars are the same. Hopefully, Nascar gets the idea.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Last time we bought tickets @ Charlotte was many years ago,, When we were buying 4 tickets years ago we would get the same seats for spring & fall races for same price like 30.00 each, then went to 45.00 each then to 65.00 each & finally 97.00 each we stiil got them until they wanted us to pay for spring & fall @ the same time in which got a lot of money so we diod not get anymore, Last time I went My son was working for Caterpillar & got 3 free tickets for the fall race @ Charlotte with being Ward Burton's guest @ breakfast,, guest of the Lt. Governor so we can get in garages & pits with the drivers & toasted the winner with champaign Dale # 3 was still alive met him & several others & that is the last time going to a race Bill Francis :lol: :lol: HEY THOSE GUYS IN DAYTONA,, BRING WHAT YOU CAN & RACE IT Don't be wussies :!: :!: :!:
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Satinblack

Post by Satinblack »

Nascar a joke, now chase is changed because Tony Stewart didnt make it last year so we add two positions to chase...........wah
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

I used to enjoy fender racin' but NASCAR has ruined it for me with their "micro managing".
Jim