Dustys 64f100

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Falcon Interceptor

Dustys 64f100

Post by Falcon Interceptor »

I just drug up the first pic ever taken of me and my truck so I thought I'd start a build page.
I know bad quality, that's 2001 and I'm working on 21 so I was 13 the day I got my truck. To be honest I wanted a hot rod to take to car shows but dad talked me into buying this thing. He liked it more than I did but she grew on me and now I wouldn't know what to do without her in my yard.
She barely made it home that day, valves were way messed up. We had to drop to first gear twice coming up hills and that AM radio with a busted speaker only picked up one station but it ran and I owned a truck!
My first purchase, notice the shiny thing under the hood :lol:
That's as I brought it home, minus the texas plates.
I got new wheels for christmas in '04. Which is around when I discovered the slickdom on msn. I got lost for quite a few years but I'll try to stay longer this time.
And as she sat about a month ago 2009
I know, how does this qualify as a build, well where else can i post this stuff?
Last edited by Falcon Interceptor on September 25, 2009, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image 64 shorty, 300 big block, T-19, 3.89
Falcon Interceptor

Oh yeah, 1100 bux at a used car lot. New paint and a new carb, the same guy that couldn't make it run.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

dusty, just keep us posted (with pics) on what your doing to/with her, what your plans are, and the little things that get done, and it qualifies as a build to me.IMHO I love the mechanic. Start 'em young and you will build a monster, I have. :lol:
Image in the beginning Image to the present.
keep the pics coming, The truck looks awesome........ Anthony
tbritt

Post by tbritt »

:welcome: Dusty, looks like a good start and someone to pass it on to....what part of S.E. Okla. I'm in Antlers??
Beer's cheaper than Gas
Drink don't drive
deviant1

Post by deviant1 »

From the pics it looks like your truck has very nice paint and a straight body. Most people are still trying to get to that point, so it looks like the hard part is behind you. I love these trucks in black, Effie's truck is a favorite of mine.
What engine and tranny?? Besides the wheels, what all have you done to it?
61 f100 shortbed unibody
Falcon Interceptor

tbritt wrote::welcome: Dusty, looks like a good start and someone to pass it on to....what part of S.E. Okla. I'm in Antlers??

I'm in Valliant right now, always have been. Me and my dad do chainsaw carvings. Probably seen dad at the deer festival.

deviant1 wrote:nice paint and a straight body. What engine and tranny?? Besides the wheels, what all have you done to it?

Paint is thin, the hood and top of the cab need redone but it's as straight as a black truck can be with a budget.

Let me see, I've rebuilt a y-block, met Dane and Truckrat at Beavers Bend, had a bad experience with the y-block. I really just didn't break it in at all, ran it hard on a fresh motor and it fell apart. I've still got the original motor, it's for sale. I patched a hole in the bed, made a gauge panel, and picked up mustang II parts.
ImageImageImage

Sorry it feels like I work on it all the time but nothing changes. I'm looking at a 300six that I can trade some things for. Anyone recomend it?

it's hard but I've got help.Image[/img]
Last edited by Falcon Interceptor on September 25, 2009, 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I recommend the inline sixes,..... but I'm kinda partial to them. I am not a big horsepower kind of guy and prefer my torque to haul things around. My 4x4 has the 300 six in it with a 4 speed granny to back it up in front of the divorced transfer case. I look for the sixes when purchasing anything to drive. Again, I'm kinda one sided.
[albumimg]5999[/albumimg]
Anthony
Falcon Interceptor

Anthony wrote:I recommend the inline sixes

Thanks, my father in law has an f250 with a 300 and 4spd(I prefer stick anyway) it runs and he offered it to me
and I have a 240 that's locked up but I'm sure I could clean up the head to use on the 300. So I'd have a decent start for no money.
I agree, it's not like I'll be racing it but as long as I keep it geared right, should be pretty fun off the line.
ImageImage
Ok, so I assume it's an '84 but it was fuel injected so it must've been swapped into something else(maybe a '94?).
I'm pulling it from a '74 for my '64. I like those 4's, lucky number. This also happens to be the 4th engine for my truck.
Last edited by Falcon Interceptor on September 25, 2009, 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

You really cant beat a 300 six. I have one in my 66, it came with a 240 but I replaced it with the 300 about six years ago. My son is building a 302 and a C4 automatic to go in the 66 along with power steering and brakes so my wife will drive it. I suspect that the 300 will in up in my old 64 that and a T5
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

If performance is what your looking, for check these out... Anthony
http://fordsix.com/ . http://www.classicinlines.com/home.asp
Falcon Interceptor

Anthony wrote:If performance is what your looking, for check these out... Anthony

Again thanks. I would love to have a big six under the hood just for people to stare at. I've yet to have an engine in my truck I was happy with. That being said, they were all bone stock. I plan on doing my next one a little better, higher compression to run the cam, lots of cam(sound=power)

My real goal for an engine is this: When I drop a gear and stomp the pedal, I expect something to happen. The main reason I don't like automatics, they lack throttle response, IMHO.
I don't need good mileage, I want torque. But I don't want too much, just enough to feel it.
Haus

Post by Haus »

I got my truck running this weekend and took it to town. When I was in 3rd and doing 55 my RPMs were showing 2850! Your post was what I was thinking today. I was not real happy with that high of an RPM, but its just for fun. Once I have a couple hundred miles on it I'll post some pics on my build thread of some smoke clouds.

PS, my posi off ebay ended up being a spool. Makes tight turns interesting, but its fine on straight aways and gentle turns. When I light them up they should sing together.
DCarr

Post by DCarr »

Sweet truck, Dusty. Looks like a build to me. :lol:
Tune For Maximum Smoke ___________________________________ 64 F100 Longsmoothie 65 Mustang Fastback
Truckrat
United States of America

Dusty

Post by Truckrat »

Hi Dusty, I wondered what had happened to you. Haven't heard from Dane in a while either. Good to see you still have your 64. I have some pics of it here somewhere that I took in 05 when we were at Beavers Bend. Is that your little helper in those pics? Good to see you back on here again. I think you would like a 300 under your hood, too. Lots of potential to make good power from those. A 5 speed behind it would be a good way to get some fuel mileage on the I road. By the way, Slick Stock is a year away and we need more Okies in attendance. I was the only one last year in Kansas City and there were 7 Texans there. What do ya say, buddy. TR
Falcon Interceptor

Before anyone asks why I didn't paint it, thought about it and decided I didn't want paint on everything and didn't want to take off all the accessories.
Image Image
The date was wrong on these two pictures but if you check most of the others it will give you a timeline.
Thanks to everyone who recommended this. I like it much better than the last motor. Much more issues and a way harder install than the last two engines I swapped in there. :lol:
I get bored easily and look for cheap projects. It was really hard mainly because it wont stand up like a V block and wanted to fall over.
Oh you may have noticed I painted my fenders, any comments on the red?
That is a DS1 box the fender and the fuel filter is an air filter, it is a project after all. So many details. Also that's the original radiator in case you wondered.
I see an 84 date? I was told this motor had efi on it and the guy even offered the efi setup but my father-in-law didn't want to mess with it. I see a E1 block with D2 heads and 84 on the valve cover so that's an early 80's carbed 300 am I wrong?
Image Image ImageImage
The motor mount is not permanent, I just wanted to decide on a game plan before I bought anything. I can still move it around my shop and it drives decent. And the third picture is before I bolted the motor in so it sits higher that that. No comments on the shop? It's portable and my truck's always in it. If I spill enough things, I don't have to mow that spot.
Anyone have any info on the T-18, what years have reverse up and down? Mine is down towards the seat and my dad has the same trans that is up towards the dash. And yes it's a Borg-Warner. Also why do these creatures want to live here?
That's all my motor shots so new post.
Falcon Interceptor

Since I haven't shown them yet,
Image Image
These are from I'm guessing 97-01 or so extended cab. When you pull up on the handle they slide and lean forward so you can put a passenger where the gas tank goes :wink: Power lumber if I ever care to hook that up. I could use a drivers - side cover (plastic piece) if anyone has something.
Since I didn't mention it before, the transmission cover is from the 74 parts truck. No it doesn't fit but it's a good start. The way I have it, I can look under it and see the transmission so it doesn't fit the floor curve. It's also slightly too wide.
If you look in the seat picture you can almost make out my attempt at a 5 gauge panel. I didn't like the way it looked (too plain) so I'm working on molding in a 58 gauge panel. I just started on it today but thought I'd get some pics in. You'd think I had a paint scheme but sadly no.
I'm attempting to fill my filler. I'm almost finished with this just don't have any newer pics. I made a dish shape with a hammer before I installed it. If you're trying this you can actually flip it over and check it on the truck. I don't know how to explain that. You would be looking at a dent and make the sides smooth, than when you flip it over you have a dome that is the right shape.
I used the old rubber grommet as a template to make my circle. I then straightened out the hole a bit and used these headless bolts to hold it together. I'm a bad welder.
Oh and now I guess I have to say I'm painting my truck. But since it doesn't need much bodywork, it shouldn't be too hard and I can fix a few mistakes that have been bothering me.
I also found out when working the filler neck that the back of my cab had big dents like the whole bed tried to go through it. But my bed is dent free and that's obvious so I'm guessing they replaced it when the truck was fairly new. So sad, its not all original cry.gif Oh well, nothing else is original anyway.

That's all I have for tonight but just ask if you want too see pictures of anything.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I loke the dash idea.... same dash as my 63 econo-truck I had... keep us posted with pics on it....
The welding looks great as far as I can see and the filler cover looks awesome.... I didn't want to try and match the curve when I did my GMC so I cupped it and installed my antenna there... :lol:
Your coming along nicely dusty so just keep on it and keep us updated every now and then....
Anthony