Truck Jacks

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Model_T_46804

Truck Jacks

Post by Model_T_46804 »

Can anybody help me out with identifying some jacks? I've got a bunch of Ford jacks from the teens through the 70's, a lot of them are from trucks but I don't know what years used what jacks. Does anybody have any ideas on where I can find this kind of information?
Thanks,
Jim
Model_T_46804

Truck Jacks

Post by Model_T_46804 »

I guess I could have been more clear.
What I really want to know is what jack the various years and models of slicks used. I've never owned one that came with the factory jack.
I always figured either the jack was either no good and they junked it or really handy for something else and they kept it.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

I haven't personally seen one of the original jacks for these trucks, but I imagine it's the standard looking 4-piece (jack, foot, claw & handle) bumper jack.
I've seen another thread where most said the jacks were stored under or behind the seat, but didn't state whether they were original or not.

Sorry I'm not posting useful info, but with 80 page views & no answers, I'm betting most here haven't seen one either. :P
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

jacks are not even shown until 1965 in the operators manual.
only the type (ford screw type jack)is shown on p16 of the 65 operators manual, not the stowage location.

this is the only info i could find so far.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
shakespearesdad

Post by shakespearesdad »

My '65 F100 came with a bottle jack that was crammed under the seat.
If I were you, I'd do a little research on those jacks you have. i sold the original jack from my '72 Olds Cutlass on evilbay for $324.00! It had never been used, not even once, but still $324.00 OMG!!
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Every truck I ever owned , (if it came with a jack at all) came with a crappy screw jack just like this one

Guaranteed to fall over in the mud before you get the tire off the ground, and the handle to break when you need it most. :evil:
I'd get a decent hydraulic bottle jack and forget those crapola things if I were you. Better yet, get a Jack-all
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

J.C.
Been chewing on this problem for a while.
I'm going to build a small aluminum box that I can seal weather tight and put one of those little cheap-o floor jacks from Auto Zone in.
Probably bolt it to the inside floor of the bed. I'll let you know when and how.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Model_T_46804

Jack

Post by Model_T_46804 »

I'm with Skip, the cheap floor jacks work great for the money. I Would still like to have the right jack for my truck just for looks though. I probably have it and don't know what it looks like. I've got a couple of scizzor jacks with Ford part numbers. Could they be for the early slicks?
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Jim, did you see the one I had in that thread, by clicking on the blue "this one" ?
I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I am 98% sure thats what it came with. Thats what my dad's 66 Dodge came with, my '72 F250 had one of those, my 78 and 79 F100 and F150 had one, my '78, '81 and '83 Chev pickups all had those too, or some minor variation of them.

I've only seen scissor jacks come with cars, and that only after the late seventies when they finally got rid of those equally crappy bumper jacks.

Skip, here's a common way for 4x4 guys to mount a jack-all Image
-handy for use as a winch in a pinch too.
But I like the floor jack idea, that would be best of all, I think. :thumright:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Model_T_46804

Jack

Post by Model_T_46804 »

JC,
I did see the jack in the link you posted. I didn't think that style of jack was used in the early 60's, but maybe it was, I thought it came out in 65. Like I said my knowlege of 60's Ford truck jacks is very limited since every time I buy a truck the jack is long gone. The first Ford Truck I ever bought with a jack in it was a 1978 and I had to buy it new just to make sure I got a jack!
Ford sure got their money's worth out of that jack design, they used it for years and years! It really wasn't worth much though. Every time I had to use one it either sank into the ground or fell over when you tried to crank it with that awkward, folding, 5 foot long crank that came with it..
Maybe that's why the trucks are always missing their jacks. After getting completely disgusted with trying to use it, they just drove off and left it beside the road.
Jim
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Yep. Or tossed it as far as they could throw it. :?
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Jack

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Model_T_46804 wrote:JC,
I did see the jack in the link you posted. I didn't think that style of jack was used in the early 60's, but maybe it was, I thought it came out in 65. Like I said my knowlege of 60's Ford truck jacks is very limited since every time I buy a truck the jack is long gone. The first Ford Truck I ever bought with a jack in it was a 1978 and I had to buy it new just to make sure I got a jack!
Ford sure got their money's worth out of that jack design, they used it for years and years! It really wasn't worth much though. Every time I had to use one it either sank into the ground or fell over when you tried to crank it with that awkward, folding, 5 foot long crank that came with it..
Maybe that's why the trucks are always missing their jacks. After getting completely disgusted with trying to use it, they just drove off and left it beside the road.
Jim

its the one shown in the 65 manual so it must be the 1st year.
those other jacks that JC posted in the back of the truck we call Handyman jacks.they go down in the soft ground just like the ford screw jack unless you have a bigger foot under it.a piece of 2x12 or plate of 1/2 inch steel works good.
both work ok on hard ground but i prefer my 3 ton hydraulic jack or a stout bottle jack.
ford had one, shown on the accessories page, a Rotunda part 17080
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

i wasnt around when slicks came out. i have a big scissor jack that i filed out the weird-folding-bar hole to fit a 1/2 " square drive (ratchet, breaker bar ext...)
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

66camperspecial
United States of America

Post by 66camperspecial »

For my 66 I found a factory ford scissors jack in a local junkyard that is very heavy duty,it came out of a 73 to 79 4X4. I have not found a place to store it so its sitting on the pass side floor for now,I will modify a battery box and mount it on the drivers side inner fender when I get around to it. Jeff