Heat Riser Spring Problem

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ripsnorter

Heat Riser Spring Problem

Post by ripsnorter »

Today I finally figured out why my 223 has been having such a hard time warming up, starting when warm, idling etc.

Timing was screwed up, carb wasnt adjusted right, and, the heat riser spring was completely gone.

I snagged one off one of my other trucks, (the other F100 I have is rapidly turning into a parts truck) and was in such a hurry I stupidly didnt notice which way it was facing, or how much tension it had on it.

How do you set the spring? do you want it holding the valve open or closed? I thought open, but I'm not a mechanical genius by any means, I'm just barely learning all this at the moment. how much tension do I need? put it on then wind it around once and set the spring against the peg? If I just set it on there it has no tension whatsever, and just flops open and closed, so i can obviously either do half a revolution of tension, or a full turn of tension before i set it. anyone know which?
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

The thermostatic spring holds the valve closed when cold. The weight cast into the wheel will sit up high, and as the spring expands when it gets hot, the weight will lower, and open the butterfly.
One question you need to answer: is the V-8 spring the same strength as the six, to accomodate a larger butterfly? I don't know. If the V8 spring is stronger, though, it may keep the butterfly closed on the six longer. Test drive it for a while, and keep this possibility in mind.

The spring should normally have a 1/2 turn of tension on it.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

the 223 and 292 use the same one.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton