Slick Stock, what are you thinking...

NY, NJ, PA, DE, DC, MD

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jwh f-100
United States of America

Slick Stock, what are you thinking...

Post by jwh f-100 »

I know it is still early but I am thinking I would like to make reservations for Thursday through Saturday night..

Mapquest says 17.5 hrs, 1,062 from from the big city of Equinunk. With fuel and restroom breaks probably more like 20 +. Leave here early Wednesday and make it a nice & easy two day trip, hopefully squeeze in about 700 miles the first day. When I get tired of driving I'll find a real fancy rest stop and pull over. I may even put a bed in the trailer..

SO I wonder if this will work out with the "Iowa Invasion" - "RT 80 Run" - "Mac Convoy" ????? What did you guys do last time?? Get a room half way????

I'm pretty sure I will not be flying solo.... ss_pokes2.gif :D
Jason

Beer will change the world.

I don't know how but it will.
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Yep, we stopped somewhere halfway-ish. Sinc could probably tell you where. I certainly don't remember anymore. It's not a bad drive, really. The worst was around the edge of Chicago, the traffic got a bit silly and I think we hit construction too. After that it's pretty smooth sailing.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
Sinc

Post by Sinc »

Hey Jason,

Dwight is correct - it's not a bad drive. Once you get out of Pennsylvania, it's pretty flat and smooth sailing.

As I recall, when the MAC boys went to Iowa in 2004 we actually made it a two and a half day trip. It can be done in a lot less time, but none of us felt like killing ourselves and being bone tired when we arrived. So, we left Wyatt's place mid-morning and drove to Maumee, Ohio, got a good meal, and a good night's sleep in a motel. The next day we drove to Greg Masters' (TruckFarmer) place in Illinois (I think, I forget the name of the town). Anyway, along the way we stopped at another members place for lunch. That killed a couple of hours. Then, before we got to Greg's place, we stopped and toured the J. C. Whitney retail store (LaSalle, Illinois). That killed some more time. Then, we checked into a motel near Greg's place and had a GREAT cookout at Greg's place. The next day, we headed out and reached SlickStock (Ankeny, Iowa) around lunch time.

On the return trip, we drove non-stop (except of gas and food) back to Maumee, Ohio and stayed in the same motel. The next day, we stopped at the Summit Racing store in Ohio for an hour or so. Then, we headed home and were back at Wyatt's that evening.

I must say that it was one of the best, most interesting, fun-filled road trips of my life. Hopefully, a bunch of us can do it again in 2010!

Later...Sinc
wyatt

Post by wyatt »

We should start planning this soon. We need to make reservations out there but not along the way. The trip isn't really that bad. Like Dwight said, the worst part was around Chicago.
After all, we're driving old trucks. Don't really want to push them too hard.
Gotta have radios for communication. We had them the last trip. Everyone kept in touch.
Chuck
Truckfarmer2

Post by Truckfarmer2 »

The door is open if you want to repeat 2004 again. I am about 5 hours from Des Moines.
If you continue to buy imports, where will your children work?
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Yeah, I still need to get those bedside 'boards' from you. :wink:
Sinc

Post by Sinc »

Hey Greg,

Thanks for the offer! That sure sounds good to me!

Later...Sinc
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

:popcorn:

We should "chat" about it some night.....
Jason

imstobu

Post by imstobu »

reservation made for thurs thru sat. looking to hook up with the mac convoy. excited about finally making one of the slick stocks.

Phil
wyatt

Post by wyatt »

I made my reservations while I was out there.
You guys are gonna love this place. I had a good time while I was there with my wife a couple weeks ago. I thought we were in the wrong place. I called Kid and asked him if I was in the right place. Just something about a knight in armor sitting on a horse in front of the motel makes you think, This place is way over my head. The people working there were great to talk to. They are looking forward to having us there next year.

We drove her car out. We left home @ 6:00a.m. and stopped at Ottawa Illinois @ 6:00 p.m. Now you have to remember that we were cruizing around 70-75 mph. We won't be doing that with our trucks.
Chuck
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

wyatt wrote:Now you have to remember that we were cruizing around 70-75 mph. We won't be doing that with our trucks.

Speak for yourself. :lol:
thrush544

Post by thrush544 »

Hello Everyone,
Ok, being the new guy here I'll sound a bit dumb (have to find a new excuse after I an no longer a new guy) but this all sounds like a great time to me. Will have to do a little work on my truck over winter but would love to join you all. Do your wives come along also? I hopefully can convince mine, she's not a big car girl. (Now if we stoped at an air show or museum she would wanting to help plan it.) So if there are other wives she may consider it.
Can anyone of you give me an idea of the hotel costs? I'll need to work that into our budget now and make reservations soon.

Thanks,
God Bless,
Ed
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

Ed. yes Wives do attend. Many show up and have as good a time as the men do.

If you look in the SlickStock forum we have all the hotel info posted with price and numbers to call for Reservations. We will be looking forward to seeing you here in Iowa next Year.........Kid
thrush544

Post by thrush544 »

I hope to be making reservations this weekend. Would be awesome to be part of the "MAC convoy".
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

Made my reservations.. Thursday, Friday, & Saturday night...
Jason

thrush544

Post by thrush544 »

Ok MAC members, are any of your wives going with you to Slick Stock? I am trying to talk my wife into going. Have you guys set up a time to all head out together? I am hoping to have my Uni ready by then and it sure would be great going as part of a group.
quietwyatt

Post by quietwyatt »

My wife will be going with me. We haven't set a time for leaving yet. That will probably be discussed at Spring Splash in May. I'm not sure if my truck will be making the trip just yet. If not, I'll be taking the Suzuki.
We'll see.
Chuck
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

come on guys we are really looking forward to seeing everyone again. You know you want to come to Iowa and you KNOW you will not regret the trip. Make reservations soon as we are down to 11 rooms at the host Hotel as of today
thrush544

Post by thrush544 »

I am working on it, would love to go.