So what's simpler than a plain jane F100?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

douglloyd

Post by douglloyd »

Like I said, bugs are hard to beat for simplicity. Properly maintained, they can put up with lots of neglect, but not abuse.

I restored a '66 sunroof bug back in 1994 - still drive it on nice days. I rebuilt two 1300 cc motors at the same time so I could salt one away for future needs. If you drive these things the way VW tells you to, the trannys will outlive two or three motors. Clutches & t/o bearings are another story.

I also have two '67 vw buses waiting patiently under tarps for the day I finish my storage building. You DID know, didn't you, that a VW bus is rated to carry a full ton of cargo, more than a full size F100? Of course with a 40-50hp motor, it may take you a while to get there...<g>

Awright, awright already, I know this is off topic. But don't bash aircooled VW's until you've really mastered the care and feeding of them.

Doug
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Doug , if you ever followed a VW van up a single lane mountain road , or just against a strong wind, you would not have a single reason to wish someone would restore one. :lol:
But, if you insist on doing so, make sure it has a Porshe flat six in it at minimum, at least it will have a hope of getting up to ramp speed in a place, say like Dallas/FW. There if you aren't up to 85 by the time you hit the freeway, not only your life, but the dumpdruck that mowed you over, are all gonna flash before your eyes. :P
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

best off roading i ever did was in my vw thing.i put a bus transaxle in it and it would go just about anywhere. stuck? no problem, 2 guys can lift the rear off the ground and move it over.by yourself, a hi-lift jack and a push when its off the ground. simple, and light but with all the weight over the axle it had great traction.
a lot of good times for a small amount of cash.wish i still had it.
the busses were great too, until they became water-cooled in 85.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

i didnt realise that the sniffer police are so basd everywhere else. ive never lived in an emissions area. ive always thought that emissions were an unfair tax against the poor. if you wanted to fix the world's air go make china get rid of all the 2 stroke scooters...i almost got a 62 falcon and i kick myself for not getting it. any of the old straight six four door cars from the early sixties sound like a good bet...
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.