And things were going so well...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Gritsngumbo
United States of America

And things were going so well...

Post by Gritsngumbo »

I finally got beyond the "fixin' to" stage and got into the actually doing stage of my Uni project: removing the front clip so I can remove the engine/tranny and paint and clean up both the engine and firewall and install a T-5 behind my Y-Block as well as front disc brakes and mono-leaf springs.
Since Monday I've removed the hood, grill and radiator, and removed all the bolts holding the front clip to the truck and firewall, except for those monsters holding the core support to the frame. Boy are they a "biatch" to remove. They will come out eventually, but is taking a lot of PB Blaster and many turns of a socket on a long extension. Wish I had a large 1/2" ratchet.
After removing the battery box to get access to one of the fender to firewall bolts without a J-Bolt episode, I decided to tackle the hood hinges. The drivers said went very smoothly, with the bolts coming out easily. Then over to the passenger side, and not so lucky. THOSE DARNED J-NUTS! Looks like all three have broken loose and just turn. So I seem to have two choices. 1) Reinstall the drivers side hinge and just mask around the hinges to paint the firewall and the mask off the firewall to paint the hinges or 2) Get the sawzall out and cut the bolts off and use a sort of "toggle bolt" contraption I found when I had a similar problem on Little Red. I know, I know, it is possible to snake your arm and hand up through the vent and hold with a vise grip, but I just don't think my arm/hand will make the trip :-).
Don't expect a solution, but wanted to give an update and rant a little.
Also, I know my progress pales in comparison to other's projects but it's good progress for me, an old man working by myself.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

You can do it. I also work slow and I don't think I'm old. I have problems staying on task.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

glad to see you got it goin on. Im fixin to get busy on mine.
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

ah, the fun we have with these old trucks...
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
low6t4

Post by low6t4 »

Good luck with the hood hinge... any progress is good progress
"Go Fast or Go Home"
zip
Canada

Post by zip »

Good luck with the hood hinge.

I look at my project as an adventure. It's supposed to take some time.
Yes it's a Merc..........
Now I have two.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

You may want to remove that hinge in the future, so rather than just tightening it back up I suggest fixing it now. What happens when you get it all painted and then have to remove the hinge? Since you are using hand tools, I think you don't have an air compresser, and most likely don't have a wire welder. both of which would be of use to you. There is a slight possibility , that you can reach the nuts from the inside of the cab. You have to go thru the hole for the vent and put a vice grip on the nuts. Once off, I suggest you weld all of these nuts in place, on both sides. I also recommend running a tap thru all holes before reassembly, and a die over the bolts. Originally, there was a caulk of some kind to preven moisture from coming thru to the body cavity and for sound deadening. Be sure to replace this when you put things back. It will not stop the bolts from rusting on thinside of the cavity, but will help.

Hope this helps,
Rich
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Grits,
I know the feeling, I had a loose hinge nut on one of my trucks a few years back ,but was lucky enough to fit through the vent hole with a vise grip, and my nineteen year old sons' arm. sure is nice to have the right tools.
I also applaud your posting,knowing that you did it as much to vent,and motivate yourself, as let us know your progress. I am headed out to work on turk in part because of you
john
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!