Swapping a custom cab roof in place of standard cab

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

61ford

Swapping a custom cab roof in place of standard cab

Post by 61ford »

tomorrow imn changing out my roof from a 64 custom cab to my uni and it was just a standard cab. the 64 window posts are a tab bit narrorer for the trim to slide into i shouldnt have any problems with the windshield leaking since im using the trim and part of my posts are going to be a bit bigger than the others am i?
Ryan

61 Ford f100 Unibody short bed
351w/Aod
jecsd1

Post by jecsd1 »

I wasn't aware that there was any difference between the two
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Why?
I'm not sure I understand the question.
Is your uni cab rotted out at the top?
Where are you planning to make the cuts?
The windshield is the same for 61-66 trucks and the "small" back windows are all the same too.
Keep the doors on while you're doing this so you can adjust the new top up or down to keep the doors aligned.
Uncle Skip
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
65TremecGT
United States of America

Post by 65TremecGT »

Let us know how it comes out, my uni will prolly need a new hat also, and the later ones are more plentiful it seems, and I think we have a spare pair of cabs to choose from.
1965 Ford F-100 Short bed Custom Cab, Worn out six for now.
1966 F-250 Ranger waiting for a 79 460/C6 + Disc Brake and PS swap
61ford

Post by 61ford »

i read somewhere on here that the post were just a tid bit smaller between the custom cab and the standard so that they had the room to slide the trim in and after going out and looking at the too i could tell they were a tad bid different not much though.i know ive heard ppl say that if if yours had the trim and you didnt want to use it wouldnt be a problem so i would think my case would be the same?
Ryan

351w/Aod
jecsd1

Post by jecsd1 »

why would ford stamp two seperate cabs just for windshield trim?? That makes no sense at all. You sure you weren't seeing minor discrepancies between manufacturing facilities of some other variable. Seems like a major cost and hassle.
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

Ford did not make a different cab. They simply took a grinder to the pinchweld seam on the Custom Cab trucks so that the window rubber had extra room to compensate for the moulding. My CC truck went back together with the plain windshield rubber and it is sloppy. I am putting the windshield trim back eventually. You might consider using a butyl glass sealant on the cab side after the glass is installed to fill in the void.

Good luck with your roof replacement.
PICS!!!!!
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

My big N was originally a standard cab truck and albeit a little snug I was able to install the stainless in the rubber and get the windshield in properly. It can be done, it just takes a little more patience.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
jecsd1

Post by jecsd1 »

so the only difference is the pinch weld seam? The CC trucks were ground down a bit? interesting
61ford

Post by 61ford »

i may end up just going back with the trim i dont care much for the trim and plus its going to need to get rechromed and im going to need some of those clips anybody got em?all ill have to do is grind down the bottom pinch weld going to be cutting the posts at about the dash prolly going to end up being the best way to do it is just to use the trim. i wish i could find that old post there was a post on here a while back that detailed the diff pretty good i bought this cab back in jan and it was just after i bought it
Ryan

351w/Aod
Unibodyguy1

Post by Unibodyguy1 »

I installed Custom Cab windshield chrome on my truck with no problems just takes a little while. I've accually done it on two trucks now. It will work.

Michael
Reds Rod Shop

Post by Reds Rod Shop »

The only difference that I'm aware of between the 61-63 cab and the 64 is above the drip rail. The 64 has a higher roof line. You can see it in the photos below. I personally like the 63 lines better.
1963 Cab
1964 Cab
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Is that why the 61-64 + the 65-66 hoodlining is different? I always wondered why I couldn't fit the 4 piece hoodlining on my 62 and vice versa. Maybe thats the answer!
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

61ford wrote:i may end up just going back with the trim i dont care much for the trim and plus its going to need to get rechromed and im going to need some of those clips anybody got em?all ill have to do is grind down the bottom pinch weld going to be cutting the posts at about the dash prolly going to end up being the best way to do it is just to use the trim. i wish i could find that old post there was a post on here a while back that detailed the diff pretty good i bought this cab back in jan and it was just after i bought it
You will not have to rechrome your windshield trim, it is stainless and you can polish it to look like new. Only if it is bent or has a bunch of nicks will it not look new. The clips are not hard to find. You can probably use the connecting clips off ofther Ford with similar sized windshield trim. I had some connecting pieces lost off the stainless from the rear window of my 56 big window and ended using some clips I found in the junk yard off another year Ford.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

The windshield guy who tried to install my CC trimmed windshield in a standard hole, beat on that thing like a rented mule.
I thought for sure he was gonna break it, but he worked for the glass co. so I figured he knew what he was doing. The inside rubber is currently about 5/8 catching in the hole.. So now,I have to take it out and grind the hole out to CC size. I just don't know what that is.
I'd really appreciate it if SOMEONE in the club could measure the two up and tell me the difference. I've asked for this several times to no avail. I don't know if I have to grind 1/16 of an inch in the top corners or a 1/4" all the way around. :?
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

JC, I have the glass out of my 66 Custom Cab. I will be working on it again Thursday and will try to remember to get some mesurements for you.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
semotrucker

Post by semotrucker »

This is me...Now whats that string around my finger thats tied to a camera and windshield rubber for again??? LOL

Cam
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I'd be much obliged fellas if one of ya could measure it up :thumright:
a comparison would be even better, but you take what you can get
:lol:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

well i checked 4 cabs without windshields 2 cc and 2 regular , found no difference in the lips, they were all @ .390 and within a few thousandths of each other. i measured them with the end of my calipers not a tape.
did not have any problem when i put the windshield trim in non cc cabs before either.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I installed the stainless trim in my non C/C N truck, it was a snug fit, but I figure that was because I was using a new rubber and new glass. Then later I hear that there two different sizes one of the standard cab and one for the CC which really don't make a lot of sense to me, but I thought perhaps that was why it was snug. Putting the windshield in my CC Ranger seemed to me to be about the same as putting the windshield in the N. I am glad you measured them Brian, that puts things into more perspective. It just never made sense to me that Ford would make two different sizes of windshield openings just because of the stainless.
Michelle