Forum etiquette across the internet

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ripsnorter

Forum etiquette across the internet

Post by ripsnorter »

Not trying to offend anybody on here at all, nor am I trying to single anyone out, just more thinking out loud of things I've learned and seen over the years on the internet.

Posting in all Caps.
    A lot of people don't seem to realize it especially if they're not online all that much, but if you post, email, or even chat in ALL CAPS it is considered very rude, as well as considered yelling. The difference between this paragraph, and one say, that looks like this:

HEY! I REALLY WANT TO BE HEARD! CAN YOU GUYS SEE ME! I'M TRYING TO TALK HERE! SERIOUSLY! PAY ATTENTION TO ME!! CMON GUYS LOOK AT ME!

is a big one. People will read what you post without having to have it all in caps, and there is no need to type in caps simply to make sure you're seen.
Posting in run-on sentences or paragraphs
    This one is another problem, much like typing all in caps. It makes for very hard to read posts, to the point where a lot of people will just give up trying to read, and move on to the next post.

An example:

I'm trying to explain my point here and I'm really excitedabout it and I really really want you guys to know about this really cool thing I heard the other day about this guy that talked REALLY freakin fast and he had so much to say but no one could actually understand himbecause he was talking so fast that we finally had to holdhim down and yell at him to slow downcus he was talkingsofasthisheadfinallyexploded!!

Now if you take an entire POST all in one sentence, with no punctuation, no breaks, it really does make your head explode trying to keep up after a while :lol:
Try to use proper grammar, spelling and punctuation
    This ties in with the other two, but have you ever noticed how hard it is to read someones post that doesnt take the time to check their spelling or grammar or even proofread it? You get something like this:

IMREALLYEXCITED!!!!!!!!11!LAST TIME i talked to THiS guyhe saidhehd a 66f100 4 sel nd it wus onlee #100 bucxs!!Heevensed hewud delivver it tome 2!

Ok my head just exploded yet again just trying to type that one out. :shock:

I know we can't all have perfect spelling or grammar, and learning to read through typos is a necessary skill required to be on the internet for any length of time, (I know I make more than my fair share :D ) but taking a moment to proofread your posts before clicking submit will make a big difference.
Don't get impatient.
    This one's important.

A few days ago, I had to rebuild my carburetor before I made a trip up to get an engine. I couldnt figure out what model it was however, the stores were closing soon, I had no time, I had plans for the next 5 days and only a few hours to do this in. I needed to find out ASAP which model my carb was so I could get a rebuild kit for it. Yeah I was in a hurry, yeah I was impatient. But I still had to force myself to be patient, and look up as much info myself as possible.

People on here, or any other forum, aren't usually sitting at their computers just waiting for someone to post a question like some 24 hour customer help service. We all have lives, and it usually takes several hours to get a reply. Getting impatient or angry if someone doesnt reply right away won't help anything, and will usually just make you look silly for getting mad.

If you need the info right away, my advice is to post the question, then go googling and searching as much as you can to try and find it yourself. Check back ocasionally to see if anyone's replied, but realize that just because its an emergency to you, doesnt mean it is to anyone else.

I really want to make it clear I'm not pointing anyone out that's on this site. You folks have been very kind and welcoming to me, something I very much appreciate. I really just thought maybe a general informative post about the general "netiquette" out there, might help anyone, new or old, that wasnt aware of it. Heck I made some spelling and grammar errors myself in there, so I know no one's perfect.
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

O yeah sure, I just know your talking about me! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: excuseme.gif :rotflmao:
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
ras4434

Post by ras4434 »

WOW...........not shouting but wanting to show I'm impressed. I dont think I have ever written that much on any topic since leaving college. Well written and well said.............
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Could be someone just forgot his caps lock was on. :oops:

Rich
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Good writeup, that hit the majority of the problems. :thumright: :D
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
wyatt

Post by wyatt »

DANG!!!!!!!!! I'M GLAD I AIN'T PERFECT. worship.gif
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

thanks, glad I didnt offend anyone :)

I've found that on a variety of forums over the years, most people are pretty understanding of the occasional goofup, but some people honestly have never heard of some of the different rules of etiquette out there. So, here I am, regular ole Emily Post of the 'net :D

You guys best be sitting with your pinkies raised, back straight and shoulders back at the keyboard too. whip.gif
mcarlson11

Post by mcarlson11 »

I THINKED I kNows Whert He is TAALKEDING aboTs.
65 F250 Custom cab, camper special. 352,4spd floor shift, dana 60 posi lock, power disc brakes in front, power steering, and fun to drive.
ABA

Post by ABA »

And don't refer to people as "Peeps".
That slang word ticks me off for some reason, and it's only one letter shorter than the word people, so why can't they just type the correct word?
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Port uv whad GIVz The INNErnidt IDZ churM IZ thE USE uv COllOquaLIZMZ AND local SAYIinz
So PAINT mah EARS wiv HUNNY and Tie me TO a AntHIll
I find THIS stuFF INNErestin'
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
jeepbut
United States of America

Post by jeepbut »

Never type the word FART in all caps. This means it was a loud one. Thanks, Lyman.