Installing 2 speed wipers

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

MattsIASlickShop

Installing 2 speed wipers

Post by MattsIASlickShop »

This was written by Johnny Canuck:

I used a motor,switch and harness from a '78 I parted
out 2 years ago. I saved the whole wiring harness from
that truck, so it was easy to take the motor, switch
and harness for the wiper motor off the '78 harness
all in one piece.
To start, remove (carefully so you don't lose it) the clip and washer off the motor that holds the 2 wiper arms on the inside of the cowl.
Then, I just took the old wiper motor and bracket that holds it to the firewall off,(3 bolts) switched the newer motors onto the bracket (3 bolts) , and changed the arm on the end of the motor. They interchange, no problem, the '63 was
shorter.Make sure you put it in the same postition the old one was on the motor you are using. (1 bolt)

Wired the orange wire on the new harness from the switch to hot accessory, the same one that used to go to the old
switch, and put everything back. the '78 switch works
great, people told me you had to cut them off or
something, but I didn't need to.

If I had a windshield washer setup on the '63 (it
doesn't even have washer squirters installed) I would
now have the switch to run them too (same switch)because it has 2 wires that run to the windshield squiter motor. On mine i just taped them off, in case I get a setup I can used a later.

The whole thing took me about 2 hours, and I spent some time perusing over old parts and wiper motors to figure things out. If you have the newer motor and switch all in one piece, it will take you less. The hardest part is trying to get the inside arms back on the arm on the motor after it is in.
Reinstall the clip and washer on the insider wiper arms after you get that done.

And this from Banjopicker:

To remove the switch:
1. Remove the knob. Push the retaining clip inside the knob towards the end of the shaft, to release the clip's grip on the shaft, and it will slide off. Use a small flat tipped screwdriver for this.
2. Remove the bezel nut by unscrewing it.
3. There will be a bracket or two (depending on year) holding the switch and delay module in place to the dash; remove them too.
4. Remove the wiper motor bracket from the firewall by unscrewing 3 1/2 inch bolts.
5. Remove the wiper radial arms by first removing the retaining clip (keep it, they come in handy!). Next, slip the arms off the pivot post, up, towards the front of the truck.
Keep the wiring harness between the switch, wiper motor and delay module together; don't separate them out.
Tease the other wires out of the harness. There will be one power wire going to the key switch (yellow or red), one power wire going to the pump, and one ground wire coming from the pump.

You will find it easier to remove the wiper motor and work with the wiring harness if the dash, comfort conrols, radio and their supports are out of the dash.