Are you happy that you retired?

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Doc. I'm more than happy to reply to this thread. I'll define my reasons later but
1. Yes, I'm happy I retired when I did. I was getting shuffled to the rear because I was "over qualified". Turns out, the employers discovered that experience is really expensive when you factor in the failures required to gain same..... but that is after the fact.
2. What would I do differently? I'd have put more of my money in my IRA. Screw the government and "Social Security".
3. If, and I mean IF, you're not dependent on the government for your well being, go for it. If not, I think you're screwed. After we retired, my wife and I both said that we didn't know how we ever had time to work.
Finally, an answer to a question you didn't ask,
Just don't let your mind go vacant. Keep inquiring, searching for answers to questions that haven't been asked, and don't close yourself off from intellectual stimulation. The more complicated the question the better it is for you.
And you NEED personal interaction.
Trust me.
Doc, life is precious, enjoy it while you have it, share with others, and remember, it has an expiration date.
Use it while you can.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Hookedtrout

Post by Hookedtrout »

Uncle Skip wrote:Doc, life is precious, enjoy it while you have it, share with others, and remember, it has an expiration date.
Use it while you can.
U@ss
Great advice, thanks for sharing.
Cory

1962 F100 SWB Unibody, 223
1931 Ford 5 window coupe
1968 GT/California Special Mustang, 289
Complete 61 LWB Unibody parts truck with 292 Y Block
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

i fear the day that i have to hold on to my job for my self identity. i want to retire as soon as i can. i have taken steps to ensure my retirement will be as fulfilling as possible. keep in mind these are the words of a 40 something, but i really want to do what i want to do because i want to do it, not because i have to.

good luck in your decision doc.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

I'm on the "Freedom 99" plan.....so I'll probably be working untill I die.......

James
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Doc,
from my observations there are 2 ways people stop working;

1) they "retire" and sit around and wait to die because they have no other interests than work.

2) there are those who just "devote more time" to their more enjoyable pursuits

I think we already know you aren't in category #1 here.
[/b]
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Those are good questions Doc! and is good knowledge regardless of the members age!. Whats the retiring age in America?, it`s 65 down here!, I`m 57 this year and hope to work another 10 years! but wind down a bit, that should get another 6 Slick-Stocks under my belt!.
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
oldtrucks
United States of America

Post by oldtrucks »

Doc Pepper

In answer to your questions.

#1. I am very happy I retired when I did, the day I turned 62. I have SS and a small Boeing retirement. I can live on the income without doing anything but I need to be doing something so I do restorations to keep busy. I don't make a lot of money doing it but that isn't the issue. I do it because I enjoy it and it keeps me occupied and off the streets.

#2 Probably not much, I had a fulfilling work life and money has never been the issue. As long as my necessities are met and a little extra once in a while I'm happy.

#3 Look around and ask yourself this question. Is there anything going on in my life that I would rather do than go to work every day?? If the answer is yes then put in your papers and never look back.

Memorize Dr Pepper's post he has said it the best I have heard.
Mike Kincheloe
Mikes Old Trucks
I restore old trucks and cars

1962 UNI Short Box, Stock Y block, 4 speed Image
1972 F 250 4X4 429 4 speed Dana 70 rear
1977 F 350 Camper Special, Ranger, Super Cab
1950 F7 Cab and Chassis
1976 F150 4 Speed 4 X 4
1996 Taurus
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

1) Are you happy you retired when you did. Yes and no. There were parts of my job I really enjoyed, I miss a lot of the good people I worked with too, but then they are scattered to the four winds too. All in all I am glad I did because the new military is not what the old was, too much political correctness and the politicians are running it the way they think it should be run. Like forcing openly gays in the military.

2) What would you do differently today if you knew better. I would have hung around and made bird Colonel. The pays a lot better.

3) Do you have any good advice for us on the threshold. Follow you heart and your pocket book.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

What's not to like? Six Saturdays and a Sunday! :-)

Seriously, I think it depends on whether you "want" to retire or "have" to retire. Most folks who are forced to retire don't live very long. If it's your decision, you generally have a plan for your life and things that you want to accomplish. Also, I think it also depends on how "physical" your current job is which can lead to injuries as you get older.

It's been 25 years since I was actually "employed" as I have owned andoperated various businesses in that time, therefore I'm not sure I'm really retired or not. I started drawing social security at 63 and with that and from other sources, I have a decent retirement income for my day to day expenses, plus I have a younger wife owns a successful business. I continue my video production business (producing TV commercials and marketing videos) primarily for the funds to pay for my habit...SLICKS!

I have discovered one thing, whether or not you have to get up and go to a JOB, Monday's still suck! Not sure why, but it's a fact (IMHO).
Last edited by Gritsngumbo on March 13, 2011, 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Casey 65
United States of America

Post by Casey 65 »

I haven't retired yet. Most of my friend who have did one of two things in the first 18 months:
1..Died
2. Found another job.

I still enjoy what I do and the pay is good. Plus the insurance program is very good. At 69 I spend a bit of time at the Doctors office. LOL

I like to tell folks that retirement is for quitters. Do what makes you happy...
"One Test Result is Worth One Thousand Expert Opinions" - Werner von Braun
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

I am also happy i retired when i did. Has been almost seven years. I also should have put more money in a retirement account,but have been making it pretty well on ss and pension.If you have something to keep you busy you will enjoy not having to roll out of bed early every day, so find something you enjoy doing, if you hav'nt already .
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

#!1 No... I was forced into retireing at 59 for health reasons. Had a job I loved and never thought about retirement.

#2 Probably not

#3 Do what makes you happy.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

I am medically retiring from the army at the ripe old age of 34. I look forward to it.

you have a lot of mental activity in the truck world. you can turn it into action now. super gas mileage is something that will be really popular here shortly. you can work on that now.

i have time t work on all the stuff i want to now. might not have all the money in the world to do it, but time is way more important to me than money.

use it to do what you want. be doc.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

oldfordcoupe
United States of America

Post by oldfordcoupe »

iv'ed been retired now a little over 3 years and love it with my trucks,cars,an harley + work around 9.5 acres it keeps me busy. the wife an i have traveled a little an look forward to more travel when we want. like someone said i did not know when i had time to work an do everything else just to get by on the money i had then
*motor*mount*
United States of America

Post by *motor*mount* »

I was medically retired. And I got sick and damn tired of sitting at home, so I bought 2 tow trucks and I operate the controls or work in the junk yard or handel some business but I have some one hired to do that.
Jim H. Shiflet jr. my pictures are at photo bucket shifletjr is the name on the album. Click this link to see my pictures http://m815.photobucket.com/profile/shifletjr .also look at newest uploads and mobile uploads. 1964 costume cab and 2 ford f650 flat bed wreckers. and now a 2008 chrysler convertible
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

So, I'd say the consensus is that if as long as you can stay busy at something you like to do, you're OK being retired.
But the key is to stay busy at something.
:wink:
Hookedtrout

Post by Hookedtrout »

I'd say I'm headed in the right direction then, I have hundreds of unfinished projects that should keep me busy till I die, once I get retired and can start in on them all again. :lol:
Cory

1962 F100 SWB Unibody, 223
1931 Ford 5 window coupe
1968 GT/California Special Mustang, 289
Complete 61 LWB Unibody parts truck with 292 Y Block
Roger Carter
United States of America

Post by Roger Carter »

Doc,
When I turned 50 I started seriously thinking about retirement, and what it meant to me. The answer I came up with was "retirement is the point in your life you can do what you WANT to rather than what you Have to."
I was/am an IBEW construction electrician and with a couple of great Union pensions and a little forethought, I was elegible and able to retire at 55. The day I turned 55 was one of the best days in my 36 year working career. I was working because I wanted to, and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of every day. My boss jokingly said I had become a pain in his posterior. It was great!
I finally pulled the pin just shy of birthday #56, and haven't regretted it at all.
I am now 61 and am down to about three lifetimes of projects that need attention.

Am I happy I retired? You bet!

What would I do different? Really, I don't have any regrets.

Advice? As others said, "do what makes you happy." If work is enjoyable, keep working. If you hate your job, bag it.

There isn't a bad answer to your questions in this thread. Everything is based on a personal situation.

Every day you spend trying to keep up with that 25 year old is one less day you have to follow your dreams, whatever they may be.

Good Luck,

Roger Carter
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Doc.
You do sound tired.
Come on down to Texas and get a breath of fresh air. We don't have the Obama economy so much here yet, we don't have State income tax, and there are still lots of companies looking for a really smart guy to hire.
I know you weren't born in Texas, but Texas wants you anyway.
U@ss
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Plus you can pack heat!
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416