Hand throttle and bezel

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

bunchoftrucks

Hand throttle and bezel

Post by bunchoftrucks »

Has anybody seen a hand throttle mounted in the dash of a slick? I talked to the owner of a 64 4x4 and noticed a knob in the spot that always has the chrome cover over it on the right side of the steering column. So now I want one for my truck and I can't find it listed in any of the catalogs I have so I'm looking, any ideas?
64 F-250 4x4 391 FT
66 F-100 4x4 352 FE
64 shortie 302/AOD
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Are you sure its not just a manual choke cable? In any event, you can make a throttle out of the choke by attaching it to the carburetor butterfly. But I can't imagine why you'd want one unless you're going to tell everybody you have an OEM cruise control.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

check ebay they come up occasionally. bought mine(with cable) a while back but haven't mounted it yet. don't know if the "throttle" knob is factory correct for my year vehicle but i think it will look good and fill up the hole where the chrome cover is.

uncle skip, if i were to guess i'd say they pbly had several uses but being a farmer/part time farmer you would need a throttle cable to run the pto shaft. kinda handy for running corn elevetors etc.
bunchoftrucks

Post by bunchoftrucks »

I didn't mention that the truck had a koenig PTO winch so I would assume that in addition to powering farm equipment it could also be used for the winch, pulling a trailer while loading hay etc. The trick (to me) thing was that there was the throttle bezel as well. The cable mounted to the carb on the same side as the choke on a seperate bracket.

sgettin, I find myself getting in "trouble" on ebay LOL but I'll look for sure.

Uncle, it'd be just one more option that makes the truck a bit different.
64 F-250 4x4 391 FT
66 F-100 4x4 352 FE
64 shortie 302/AOD
mrgoob

Post by mrgoob »

Something like this?

Big black knob on right

Other end at carb with bracket and connection
Paul Merrell

Post by Paul Merrell »

I saw one on a 61 F 600 with a pto.
"Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life - For better...or for worse." 1965 F250 4wheeldrive 390/4speed/dana 60 rear 3.73/dana 44/PB
kjvforme
United States of America

Post by kjvforme »

If your looking for an exact one good luck, if your looking for a functional one look in a marine catalog under vernier throttle cable.
1962 Ford F100 Unibody Custom Cab
1944 Ford GPW
flareside64

Post by flareside64 »

You can always just get another choke cable and hook it up to be used as a throttle. Then go to o-reillys or another cheap auto parts store and get some of that thin chrome tape. Then cut and trim a piece to cover up the "choke" on the bezel. The end result is a "blank" bezel. Only YOU know what the knob does.

I did this to manually operate my electric fan. I used an extra light or wiper bezel I had and installed a nice push/pull switch and installed a stock knob to the switch. The chrome tape works amazingly well, you cant even tell it was done even when looking right at in person. It matches perfectly.

Travis
1949 F-4 226/4 speed
1964 F100 223/3 speed
1965 F100 4x4 445/4 speed
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Look in farm trucks or anything with a dump bed. I have one in my 64 1 ton, and may have another someplace, if I can remmember where.

Rich
tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

Here's the bezel that goes in the slot the round chrome piece covers. The tail piece is attached to the bezel. A choke type cable runs through it so you can rev your engine to run a dump or pto like the others said. Probably most common on F350 and up. You can use the choke cable type dash knob (black knob with the white insert).
Pat
tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

double post
Last edited by tomsrod on November 27, 2011, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bunchoftrucks

Post by bunchoftrucks »

mrgoob, no sir the one I saw was a stock item with the correct knob and bezel.

flareside64, if I can't find one I will definetely give that a shot as I have collected a few bezels thru the years. Thats the kind of' Fix' I like good, imaginative and inexpensive. All I'd have to do is cut the end off an old choke cable to get it thru the bezel insert.

tomsrod, thats the bugger I'm looking for !! Any chance you'd make a deal to send it to a new home ?
64 F-250 4x4 391 FT
66 F-100 4x4 352 FE
64 shortie 302/AOD
tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

Sorry, I'm going to be using it. I did see one in a F600 at a local u-pull-it last week. I'll be going there again soon and will advise.

Pat
bunchoftrucks

Post by bunchoftrucks »

That would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
64 F-250 4x4 391 FT
66 F-100 4x4 352 FE
64 shortie 302/AOD
fire truck
United States of America

Post by fire truck »

My f600 has one....
So good lookin' that I've attracted an international stalker.

Rest in Peace Bumpstick....I miss ya man.
kjvforme
United States of America

Post by kjvforme »

Here is what I was talking about...

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-55204-Push ... B002ET2O2W
1962 Ford F100 Unibody Custom Cab
1944 Ford GPW
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

For what it's worth - back in the day (my first slick, a '63 F100, that I bought back in '74) had a THROTTLE control in the dash, with a bezel just like Pat pictured. I assumed it was factory-installed.

It did not have a PTO, but I did use the throttle control when I used the truck to load hay bales out of the field. I would use a short piece of rope to tie off the steering wheel to the vent window in order to keep the truck steering straight ahead. Then with the truck in "Granny Gear" and the throttle control pulled out a bit, the truck would travel slow enough across the field that I could walk along side of the truck and toss hay bales to a helper who stacked them on the back. Once we were at the end of the hay field, with a quick pull on the slip knot, the rope would release the steering wheel & I could then open the door and turn the truck around and head it back across the field again. -- It worked for me!

BarnieTrk 8)
bunchoftrucks

Post by bunchoftrucks »

kjvforme, I thought about that type as well as some locking 'T' handled knob/cables I've seen.

Fie truck, thanks sounds like I need to find some yards that have some bigger trucks in them and do some scouting around.

Barnie Trk, thats exactly what I was picturing as well. The rope trick might be why I've had to stick pennies inbetween the vent window frame and the handle on so many ranch trucks to keep them sealed LOL
64 F-250 4x4 391 FT
66 F-100 4x4 352 FE
64 shortie 302/AOD
bunchoftrucks

Post by bunchoftrucks »

Thanks everybody I have found one, it's NOS in the box and being shipped today. I was fortunate enough to be given the phone # of Soeby Ford in Walhalla ND. I spoke to the parts guy, gave him the part number which he looked up and said he'd have to check in the basement and call me back. 20 minutes later he called back ( when did that happen last ?) said he had it, told me a very fair price and we made the deal.

He was super helpful and said that ANY time I needed something to give him a call as they have lots of stuff that they have no idea what it fits. If you have a part number he'll look it up and if he doesn't have it he can find other dealers who do.

As far as my experience goes this was way above and beyond.

Soeby Ford701-549-3711
64 F-250 4x4 391 FT
66 F-100 4x4 352 FE
64 shortie 302/AOD
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

Sounds like the folks out in ND at Soeby Ford still work for a living....good to hear about it! woohoo.gif

Thanks for sharing your sucessful hunt, bunchoftrucks! hunting.gif :thumright:

BarnieTrk :peepwall: