63 unibody Suspension

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

appel400

63 unibody Suspension

Post by appel400 »

Great site, I am starting on my 63 unibody and would like to change the front and rear suspension. I have been on this site for 2 days reading up on everything
And came across the 03 and newer crown Vic IFS. A couple questions I have are will it work on my 63 , up to what year of crown Vic can I use and what can I use for my rear end. If any one did this or can help me I would appreciate it.
Thank you and keep up the good work
Also I see a frame swap with a crown Vic . Do you have to cut the box floor on that swap or is there a way around that

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Rusty 63
United States of America

Re: 63 unibody Suspension

Post by Rusty 63 »

I'm in process with my 63 - so yes the front end can be done. For the rear I plan to use the rear from the same 2004 donor so I can have 4 wheel antilock disc brakes. The rear is- strictly speaking- too wide for our trucks but I plan to widen my flareside bed to accommodate it.

I've seen truckirs.com has kits to install a tbird/similar independant rear suspension. Also, he's rumored to have come up with brackets to mount the rear of the front lower control arms (that's where i'm stalled at the moment - but more because of the baby taking my spare time).

If you did a frame swap, I think you could lop off the big hump in the rear frame rails & bring the rails down closer to the rear. When you look at the design of the rear suspension, the frame under the car would hit the ground before the rear end contacted the frame - what you'd need that extra clearance for is beyond me - and it's that hump of extra clearance that forces guys to chop up their bed floor...

Good luck!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
appel400

Post by appel400 »

Thanks rusty63 for the info, my truck is not a flareside so is there any thing I can do to use that rear end like different rims or is there another rear end to try
Also did that FIS out of the crown vic fit good and was there any major mods.

Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

Read thru my buildup - there are photos with the cop car rims/tires on it with the sheetmetal in place looks good to me. From what I understand, there are narrower rear ends in the early 90's crown vics that will give you the same bolt pattern & tuck the rear wheels nicely.

appel400

Post by appel400 »

WOW that's looking good , why not a frame swap over what you are doing
I am confused between your way or complete fame swap can you give me some positives and the negatives
I just want to get this project started
Thanks a lot for you help

merc uni

Post by merc uni »

Check 'Hints and tricks' for Matt's Jag XJ6 front end how-to. Recently did it myself on my 62 . Easy, cheap and the end result is amazing.Good luck!
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

If I had it to start over, I'd go with the jag...

Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

http://m.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506739

Had this one bookmarked... hate to send you to the other site (b/c one of the mods is a complete tool!)

Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Rusty 63 wrote:The rear is- strictly speaking- too wide for our trucks but I plan to widen my flareside bed to accommodate it.

Rather than widen the bed itself;
there are 3" wider than stock flareside fenders out there you can get.
They are technically for 53-56 trucks but the bed is VERY similar through 1979.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1953-56-f ... ,1510.html
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
appel400

Post by appel400 »

Thanks for all the help you guys
I think I am going to take on the frame swap. Now I am wondering what year and make of car ( crown Vic or grand marquis ) would be the best to use and what not too use.
I do have a 92 grand marquis I know there has been a few swaps on the site and just wondering what years will not work
Thanks again