Y-block dizzy info questions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Shiny

Y-block dizzy info questions

Post by Shiny »

So I am looking at putting a dizzy together with a Pertronix. Is there a "good" stock dizzy to look for? 57and up is what I heard to get when do they change?
Thanks guys!

-Shiny
every movie I've seen the bad guy in the Camaro outruns the cop in the Crown Vic everytime!

'66 Merc "Crewlcab", SWB, clipped, c-notched etc
'65 Merc extra-cab,soon to be 3/4ton 4x4 SWBSOLD
'66 Merc J-Lo and Redford movie truck, from the movie "an unfinished life"
'66 Merc Crew Cab project 4x4 Cummins!
'65 Chevy crew cab
slickmainer
United States of America

Re: Y-block dizzy info questions

Post by slickmainer »

I know nothing about yblocks, but I do see that the 54-56yblock pertronix still is specifically dated. when I called them to ask about my 61-292 they said (if I recall correctly)I need to look at my points. if they curve around the cam then I need to basic v8 kit, if they were straight, then id go with the yblock specific. it sounds like you are on the right path with a 57- dizzy.

this is confirmed with this ebay listing for a 54-56
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pertronix-1282- ... 40&vxp=mtr
TOO MAKE SURE THIS WILL WORK FOR YOUR DISTRIBUTOR,THE ADVANCE ROD AND POINTS IN THE 54-56 DISTRIBUTOR WILL BE STRAIGHT.IF THEY ARE CURVED,YOU HAVE THE 57 AND UP DISTRIBUTOR WHICH YOU WILL NEED MODEL # 1281
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

Go to your favorite auto parts store and get a remanufactured distributor for your '61. It will very likely be a Motorcraft in which case the points, condenser, advance mechanism are the exact same as a small block, and I think even big block. This will make it much easier to tune the curve - you do want to do this. And I may be mistaken, but I think all '57 on mechanical and vacuum advance V8 distributors use the same points, condenser, cap and rotor though everything else is different - the stuff that is not typically replaced. It is also relatively easy to upgrade the Motorcraft with duraspark internals, which combined with a good aftermarket box will eat Pertronix for lunch. And while the fit is tight, a duraspark cap does fit.

Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

You can use a standard cap with the duraspark setup.
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
Shiny

Post by Shiny »

Thanks guys!
My customer doesnt want a duraspark, he wants a Pertronix.

-Shiny
every movie I've seen the bad guy in the Camaro outruns the cop in the Crown Vic everytime!

'66 Merc "Crewlcab", SWB, clipped, c-notched etc
'65 Merc extra-cab,soon to be 3/4ton 4x4 SWBSOLD
'66 Merc J-Lo and Redford movie truck, from the movie "an unfinished life"
'66 Merc Crew Cab project 4x4 Cummins!
'65 Chevy crew cab
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

check with greg in the parts for sale, he said he had a 292 disassembled that had a dizzy with pertronix already in it.
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Actually, the distributer body is also interchangeable with the later ones. I've bought rebuilts that have the later body. One thing to remmember is that the later body has a different type seal on the lead coming out of the distributer. Yblocks I believe had a round rubber seal and the later ones had a u-shaped seal that slid inot a slot, if I remmember right. So get the distributer first, and then order the petronix to fit. As to which is better, I've never had a melt down with the petronix. I've seen some nasty messes with the Ford box. Unless you remove the cap you don't know if it has original points or petronix. Application also has a lot to do with choice, but I have ot had a failure with the petronix as of yet. If , he wants more fire to the plugs then get the matching coil.

Rich
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

Yep. The distributor I'm using actually has a Duraspark body.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
64crew4x4

Post by 64crew4x4 »

Shiny..

I went into AutoZone here local and Ordered a Lifetime reman Disty.....98.00 then Bought my Pertronix on Ebay....Bolted right in.....Works very well in my 312 in the 61....Definate improvement over the poor tired original 57 T-Bird Disty........

I am sure Whichever PArts store you have local should be able to get the same Reman unit....

John.
Stable of Trucks.....
61 3/4 ton 4x4..312v8,4speed Daily driver.
64 1/2ton C.C. 292v8,3sp,...???? 82k orig.miles
65 1/2ton flareside parts truck
64 1/2ton Flareside currently 4x4.going to be 472 powered Gasser
65 SuperCab/Crewcab Cummins 1 ton Duelly Hi-Boy Project