accelerator cable

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Marty in PA
United States of America

accelerator cable

Post by Marty in PA »

I recently replaced the original valve covers on the 390 with these Holley covers. They are however a little higher then the original covers so the accelerator cable has to take a hard bend where it comes out the firewall. As a result, the cable is binding up – cold weather seems to make it worse.
I like the Holley covers and would prefer not to go back to the old covers especially since they have sealed nicely on the block. Any ideas or suggestions?
Marty

1965 F100 Short Bed w/390 and 4 on the floor.

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.
William-in-St George

Re: accelerator cable

Post by William-in-St George »

Marty, You can remove the stock cable, and that odd bracket bolted to the firewall that Ford used. Inside, grind off the little ball on the accelerator pedal where he old cable connects. Drill a new hole in the firewall about 3/4 inch over and about 1/2 inch up from the original hole. Then install a new cable from 18 inch LoKar cable or the chineese knockoff on ebay. You can cover the old holes with metal tape. This will get you a smooth accelerator cable system that will not interfere with those valve covers. I do this all the time and it works like a charm and is cheap.
William-in-St. George
Marty in PA
United States of America

Post by Marty in PA »

William-in-St George wrote:Marty, You can remove the stock cable, and that odd bracket bolted to the firewall that Ford used. Inside, grind off the little ball on the accelerator pedal where he old cable connects. Drill a new hole in the firewall about 3/4 inch over and about 1/2 inch up from the original hole. Then install a new cable from 18 inch LoKar cable or the chineese knockoff on ebay. You can cover the old holes with metal tape. This will get you a smooth accelerator cable system that will not interfere with those valve covers. I do this all the time and it works like a charm and is cheap.
Thanks. That sounds easy enough. Just have to find a cable that will fit the Holley carb. It has the same ball and socket connection the pedal end has.
Marty

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Maybe you could modify your existing mount so that the bottom bolt stays the same. but you run the cable through the top bolt hole, and turn the center fitting into the second bolt mounting hole.. that might make it work without TOO much work ;)
Marty in PA
United States of America

Post by Marty in PA »

foodstick wrote:Maybe you could modify your existing mount so that the bottom bolt stays the same. but you run the cable through the top bolt hole, and turn the center fitting into the second bolt mounting hole.. that might make it work without TOO much work ;)
Thanks "Stick". Laying awake one night I thought of that. Thought that was a pretty ingenious solution. Unfortunatly the cable would have to make a sharp 90 degree angle then to connect to the pedal rod. Probably would have the same problem. Thanks anyhow.
Marty

William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

LoKar will have adapters needed to connect the Carb to their cable. You have quite a bit of leeway as to where you drill the firewall. The accelerator pedal linkage is easily heated and bent. These LoKar cables have been used on hot rods for decades and are easy to install. I have used one on my "driver" 460/C6 Edelbrock 750 cfm for more than 10 years without any issues.
William-in-St. George
SLICKCOLLECTOR
United States of America

Post by SLICKCOLLECTOR »

is it necessary to bend the throttle linkage and add an a couple of inches to the length in order connect to the bracket on the intake manifold? i couldn't locate a 18 inch lokar cable. will a 24 inch work? i am wanting to use pentroof valve covers and have the same clearance issues for throttle cable. thanks.

jim

William-in-St George wrote:LoKar will have adapters needed to connect the Carb to their cable. You have quite a bit of leeway as to where you drill the firewall. The accelerator pedal linkage is easily heated and bent. These LoKar cables have been used on hot rods for decades and are easy to install. I have used one on my "driver" 460/C6 Edelbrock 750 cfm for more than 10 years without any issues.
1966 F100 SW 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW 428 TL sold
1966 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1966 F100 LB RANGER 390 C6 sold finally
1965 F100 SW CVC 460PI C6
1965 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1972 F100 RANGER XLT SW 428 C6 SOLD
1967 F100 SW CVC 521 C6
1967 F350 390 4 SPEED
1970 F350 428 4 SPEED
1974 F350 428 4 SPEED