new guy from MN (MORE PICTURES!)

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dennyboy

new guy from MN (MORE PICTURES!)

Post by dennyboy »

Hello my name is Dennis Ive enjoyed searching through your forum the past couple of weeks looking at how cool these trucks are. Story about my slick is that I lost my grandpa a year ago. He has a 64 that i loved to play in as a kid. It was last driven in 91 which was when i was born. Prior to my grandpa owning it the neighbor had semi restored it. he did really good work but the truck was parked because it was starting to break down and he couldn't put anymore money in it.

Shes still in pretty good shape and very fixable. I am a full time grease monkey and love to work with metal. I have some hotrods but i plan to keep this mostly original with some small changes to make it "mine". I have some pictures I took over the winter. It is parked up north right now but I plan on going at it in the next couple of weekends.

If anyone could do some decoding that would be great.

Last edited by dennyboy on August 11, 2013, 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Master Certified Greasmonkey
rickairmedic

Re: new guy from MN

Post by rickairmedic »

Dennis welcome to the Club come on in sit down crack a cold beverage of choice open and join in :D. I cant help with your tag but give it a bit and one of the walking Slick encyclopedias will be along to help :D.

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
dennyboy

Post by dennyboy »

Thank you sir!
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

Welcome. Nice looking old Ford. Kinda neat you playing in it as a child and now having the opportunity to restore it. My grandson plays in my project slick and when he turns 16 in 9 years I'll give it to him. Old guy in Saint George.
William-in-St. George
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Welcome!
Academy Blue Short wb. born in San Jose, 223 six 8-1 comp ratio, 4 speed T-98A, 3300 lb. rear axle rating 3.70 axle ratio.
I don't have the correct book here to pinpoint manufacturing month; someone will, or I'll post it later.
Nice truck, enjoy it and the memories associated with it! And did I mention, welcome from the third coast!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Welcome from Baja Texas.
I'm down here with Toyz on the third coast.
We're all glad to have you with us.
It looks like you have a very good truck to start with.
And I like your plan..... "a few changes to make it mine". Excellent.
Again, welcome.
Uncle Skip
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

:welcome: from Phoenix
Nice looking truck. You will find all of the info that you could possibly want here.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
dennyboy

Post by dennyboy »

thank you for the warm welcome everybody and for the info. I look forward to the future!
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

:welcome: f r o m
K A N S A S
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

Welcome from sunny FL!
dennyboy

Post by dennyboy »

So my question is how tough is that 223 and the 4 speed. I'm not looking for fast i have a fast car i'm looking for reliability. or how to fix problems that will cause it to be unreliable. To be honest this is my first Ford ive all ways built big block Oldsmobile motors. The BBO have oiling problems that can be fixed with some machine work.

Are there things that I will run into that are common? This motor will stay with the truck but will be rebuilt of course.

Also I don't like points I deal with that crap at work all day and I know how to use points but Do you guys use the pertronix setups on these or would you recommend something else?
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

The 223 was often utilized in industrial applications, as well in sizable trucks, so it's a pretty durable work-horse. I can't think of any outstanding weaknesses. I maintained a large number of these for corporate customers; naturally that was several years ago :lol: . The Pertronix is a common improvement; there's plenty of info available via a site search.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Your truck was built in Aug 1963, so it's in the very first run of '64 model year trucks (started with S/N 445001).

My friend Charlie has a 223 powered truck and is very pleased with how it runs. I have a Pertronix in my V8 and it's been totally trouble free for the 10 years I've owned it.

Welcome to the insanity. :)
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Welcome from California,
I have a 223 in one of mine, and another in my sons truck. I find them to be strong, reliable, and economical.
You can gussy it up some with a clifford intake and exhaust, that will help it breath better
improve milage and power.
Mine sits for months at a time, and is just now starting to to give me problems after years of running like a top. when I am done with the turk, its next in line for some lovin.
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
dennyboy

Post by dennyboy »

looks like im gunna do some searching. Ide like to find out more about this intake and maybe some headers. I have a buddy that custom grinds cams. but i am happy about this little motors being awesome!
dynodonz
United States of America

Post by dynodonz »

Hi.

I'm also in MN...south central here

65 F-100 Custom Cab 4X4
un restored, mostly original
352 re built to 390 interceptor specs/4 speed
Dana 44/Dana60 w/ 4.56 gears (out of a 65 F-350)
12.5/37/16.5 GODDYEARS
Power Brakes (from a Toyota truck)

nice truck!
I love keeping mine as close to stock as I can. She even still has the paint she was born with!
dennyboy

Post by dennyboy »

so within the next two weekends i will be going up to get the pickup and bring her home. My grandpa did a lot with wood. His wood shop and a few sheds are full of it. there are all different kinds in big rough cut planks. I'm thinking of making a wood bed for it in the future. is there anyone that makes a kit to use metal inserts? Or has made there own?
dennyboy

Post by dennyboy »

Well Im going up on saturday to get the truck. I finally fixed my trailer brakes so im all set to go. I am super excited!
dennyboy

Re: new guy from MN (MORE PICTURES?)

Post by dennyboy »

I went up this morning to grand rapids to get my pickup. seven hours of driving and two hours to get it loaded on the trailer. Wasn't to bad with a buddy helping. I took acouple pictures, will get more tomorow when i start cleaning. looks like im gunna need some floors on the drivers side and a little on the passenger side, right cab corner and fix the lower part of the tail gate.

[IMG]http:
[URL=http://s71.photobucket.com/user/yamahacow/media/CAM00087_zpsc9a9f567.jpg.html]Image

Alan Mclennan
Australia

Re: new guy from MN (MORE PICTURES?)

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:welcome: from down here Dennis!, glad to have you aboard.. :burp:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif