Here is a story of the formation of the Slick 60's club.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

foodstick

Here is a story of the formation of the Slick 60's club.

Post by foodstick »

If you have ever wondered how it happened here it is !.. I'll warn you its not short..

First of all I do not remember life before my pops 66 F100. that is because he bought it when I was three or four years old. He had spotted it at an old gas station for sale. Apparently a farmer had a bad year and the fuel company repossessed it and sold it to my Dad.
I don't recall what he payed for it but when he bought it 50 some years ago my Moms now famous quote was
"Carl, we will NEVER get our money out of that truck."
Well as it sits now it still has the same motor in it, it runs and drives...and that truck has been used hard.

I can't even begin to tell you the history of that truck, but it has been used as a business truck to pull trailer loads of bailed paper, scrap steel, It even once pulled a 40 plus foot long mobile home

under the cover of darkness down to our lake lot at Lake Red Rock. It was our camper, our boat hauler, it did everything we ever asked it to..
I learned to drive in it at age 14, and it would have been my first car if it wasn't for the gas crunch of the late 70's

I always loved the truck, it was loud and tough.. as a kid I would sit with the JC Whitney catalog and make lists of all the garish chrome aftermarket parts I could find ! hahaha

Dad and Mom moved out to a farm after I had left home, and eventually I bought a house and then a 64 with possibilities. I learned a lot about mechanics, auto body and painting on that truck.. But I never forgot about Dads 66.

Now most of you know that we slick owners are few and far between. I don't recall knowing anyone other than my Dad that really loved them. I always felt I was the LAST guy that loved them. So imagine my surprise one day when I went to a car show (which I seldom do) and there amongst the 100,000 dollar customs is an old faded 64 long box. I mean it was right out of some alley or field, it even had a dent where a tree had grown up and bent the fender.. I decided right then and there, I gotta meet the guy that had the nerve to drive this in here. So I asked some people nearby if it belonged to them, they said
"No, but he is with us and will be right back"

So I hung around long enough to meet Kid, we hit it off right away,Next thing you know we are hanging out at his garage where he is just waiting for a small push to start working. I show him my 64 which has sort of turned into a project of insanity, I started taking it apart and couldn't quit until it was ALL apart, then I was pretty anal about it being anything other than the best I could make it on my own..

So Kid starts working on his truck, and buying more trucks, then I bought more trucks, then we had trucks stashed all over the place, We even made parts runs to Texas, everywhere it just starts exploding... we started stopping and saying hi to anyone in a Slick we would see...Anything in the paper was a must go visit, we knew all the trucks in the local junkyards.

One day I am online and I see this EXCITE site has FREE CLUBS, I sort of looked at it, and doubting it was really free I started playing with their options, next thing I know I had picked a picture, and called it (61 to 66 Ford F-series pickups). I had to make up a user name, and on all the Aquarium boards I had been using FOODSTICK ,which is a fish food I used in my tanks.. So ah, I just used it here as well.

At this time neither kid or I were very internet savvy ...we looked at stuff, but didn't really add to it much. I sent him the address to the club, and thought I would let him in on the joke. The funny thing was I had just been at his house, and I was making posts about how I was just at this ( friends house), and told him what I had just done AT HIS HOUSE! it was a way to sort of laugh at ourselves. kid joins up and plays along, after a few days we had some posts stacked up, and I sort of figured we would get tired of it. I guess it was like we had built a new tree house and eventually forget about it.
Days later however I am talking to Kid and he says
" Are you making up new names and joining, and posting on the site"

I can still recall being confused, thinking he was joking, and then nearly choking when I realized SOMEBODY THOUGHT THE CLUB WAS REAL ! I actually was scared about misleading people and thought about erasing it before people realized it was just two guys joking around. I nervously went to the site, and there are some new names, friendly people saying ..

"Can I join? "I thought I was the only person that liked these trucks"

We weren't alone! There were people just like Kid and I ... so people start trickling in, Kid and I start searching the web for Slick owners.. there couldn't have been more than 20 pictures of Slicks on the entire web, we would send emails and invites anytime we found someones email address. We kept hearing

"I thought I was alone!" and "This truck has been in my family 30-40 years" " It was my Dads, Grampas ,or Uncles"

At first a few people thought Kid was " My KID!) hahahah we soon had that straightened away, and before long we had many Son's and Fathers involved.

I was getting very touching emails from peoples parents
"Thank you for being so nice to my son about his truck, he is only 14 and he has never shown so much interest in anything before , he loves the club"

Another of our members with some difficult health issues once told us
"I had no desire and interest in much of anything anymore.. but for the first time in a long time I am up in the morning with something I WANT to work on, and I feel like I have friends out there, and I am making friends right here"

I even had one young man write me and ask me ..
"Can you please remove that cussing someone posted , My parents will not let me visit the board if they think it has profanity on it"

At times it was nothing short of humbling.

There are so many stories of really interesting owners and trucks, and there have been some really stressful times when people have misunderstood what we were trying to do, and decided they wanted to blow off steam at someone. At times people have gotten mad over censored posts, or Brand X conflicts. We have always tried to make it friendly, Kid and I figure there are a BILLION places on the net to fight ,troll, and yell. Why not keep this a place to chat with friends about trucks.

Its real easy to go from teasing among friends to mistaking sarcasm or a joke with an intended insult. I suppose that will always be a problem. The emoticon smileys do help if used to show humor...

Back to the story, the momentum just builds and builds, at one point on Excite or Yahoo clubs we ranked number one for active posts in the club section ! People would accidentally check the ... EMAIL ME ALL POSTS option...when they signed up, they would get hundreds of emails in a couple days !!! I think we were near half a million page views by the second year, Everyone on the board joked ..

"Half of them are mine !"

Now Kid is really into the car club thing, and he would mention to me how much he always wanted to be in a real club that was like our online club. I was hesitant, I mean we really had gathered a big active crowd, I wasn't sure what was going to happen. From the start we had kept the money out of the club, no dues, just contribute your time and enthusiasm. I was afraid money could mess it all up, and Kid agreed.

I was in the t-shirt business,and the day came when I said to Kid

"Do you want to make this more REAL, and sell some T-shirts to the guys that are interested?"

Well as I have described it before, Kid was like a dog let off a leash, I mean he was off and there was no turning back. it wasn't long and we were handing out homemade club cards, we really started trying to find people, and we were finding them nearly as fast as they were finding us.

The t-shirts idea took off on the board, guys out of state said

"Can it be National ? I want one!",

So we ran the first batch as a National club, it was sort of a inside joke to all of us. Suddenly guys from Canada say what about us? Could it be INTERNATIONAL? We sort of figured sure that was even funnier than it being a NATIONAL club. So from there on the shirts said we were an INTERNATIONAL Truck Club ! people have joined from Australia, Europe and Egypt ...

Which brings us to the key event, after a couple years Kid and I sat down and said do you think if we had a National Club meeting ANYBODY would show up? We were not really sure, But amazingly it happened, we all met and knew each other from so much chatter on the site. People brought nicer trucks than I have ever seen before, stock trucks, unibodies. People were offering to share gifts as awards for the next Slickstock before the first one was over ! I will always be glad my Dad and Mom made it to that first show to see it happen. It has just kept pulling in new guys with tons of energy and ideas, and us older guys sit back and smile wondering how did it happen..

The Slick Name finally came about this way.

... I got SO TIRED of telling people what kind of truck we were into..

After awhile saying " 61-66 Ford F-series trucks" got OLD. And try it with a person..they get this blank stare like they are going into a coma ! :)
So, after hearing some older trucks being called EFFIES, and FAT FENDERS .. I just decided..Like it or not..we will come up with our own nickname...

So I posted the idea to badge our trucks with a nickname on the board , and as I worked in the garage I thought the older 60 style was so big and block shaped, and the 67 on were much sharper edged ,our trucks were slicker, a more melted flowing design than the ones before, or after them.. So, I posted on the board, what if we call the truck club Slick 60's to cover our body style..I couldn't decide whether to spell out the Sixty, or use the numbers 60.. another member said "Use the number for sure !" so that is how we went that way.
At the time the product SLICK 50 was advertising a lot so it sounded similar,I had used that product with good results in my old van. So that made it sound OK to me.. that is how it happened..

Also around that time we had some members with 57-60 models and they were complaining " Hey ! what about us?" "We need a name for our trucks" Someone came up with FRIDGES around that time,
I have NO IDEA who,or if they were a member of our club.. but you want to talk about a PERFECT name for them ! It reminds me so much of those big broad fridges.. perfect...
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Re: Here is a story of the formation of the Slick 60's club.

Post by F7BIGJOB »

Great story, and I thought I was the only one :mrgreen:
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

When I arrived, right after you guys had switched from Excite to Yahoo, you didn't need to switch ON the email replies thing, you needed to switch it OFF. The first day I joined i think i had 100 emails from replies to my first post!! What a welcome. Of course i saw and was part of some of our darker days as you mention.. and i ain't here much, lately, working 4 1/2 hours north of my truck and stealing wifi when I am there. But it's been great.. the only car club I ever thought to be a member of!! Been to every Slickstock so far, just me and Lyman can say we've been to them all, and never brought a truck!! :mrgreen: Hope to see everyone at the next one.. cross my fingers!! :steering: :hello:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

I must chime in also. Who would have thought.....the first thing I remember (also right after the switch to Yahoo) was who in their right mind would call themselves "Foodstick"?
But I kept coming back,Everyday, to see what others were talking about.
Soon found out that there were a few "local" guys and it was decided to have a BIG gathering !!! Myself, Garbz, Dwight, Chuck and Chad! We met up in some backwoods hicktown at Garbz place and he cooked up a hell of a breakfast. Of course I think we were still there at dark.LOL
A friendship between us happened quickly and soon others starting joining us for gatherings. Pretty soon, it was every couple of months. Then Kid thought that we easterners (now called the MAC-Mid Atlantic Chapter)should host the 2nd Slickstock.
What a GREAT time that was and who were these CRAZY guys that would drive these old trucks over a thousand miles just to sit and shoot the breeze for 3-4 days.
I have seen alot and sit back and watch alot anymore, but come to the sight everyday.
The most wonderful thing I see is the friendships that have developed. No matter where you go, there is a member nearby that will offer a hand or just some company.

And to think ----------two guys from IOWA caused all of this !

Thanx Guys!
Tim
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Tim live from Reno,, anyway before we left I noticed :lol: :lol: that my battery went dead in clock again from slickstock 2 No Warranty :lol: :lol: and just wondering,, been on a secret mission
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I heard this story for the first time sting in Kid's living room after a little gathering last fall. They were talking about all the funny things that had happened on the site since day 1.

Foodstick started to tell about a chat board they had. He remembered they were talking about hastas (flowers) and some guy said he came just onto the truck board from a gardening board and everyone on the gardening board was talking about old trucks. I about fell out of my chair. It was me. Dianne started laughing and remembered me reading their responses to my statement all those years ago. I don't think I was even a member at the time of that chat session. It was not too long after we bought our first home computer.

Thanks for your insanity guys, you've helped fuel mine with less guilt!

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Macon ACE

Post by Macon ACE »

Awesome story! Awesome site! Awesome club! Awesome trucks!
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Great story and great site! I was glad to find out my great uncle and I weren't the only guys stubbornly still driving slicks around :D
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Thank You Lance and Darrell.
For putting all it it together in one post
and for starting the "joke" in the first place.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
65ford1

Post by 65ford1 »

And I thought I was the only one who liked these trucks, thanks.
bmcgc
United States of America

Post by bmcgc »

I came from a family that bought a station wagon and kept it.

When I left home at 18 my dad was on his third car since I had been born and that car was only 3 years old.

Im the first in my family to own multiple vehicles in the same year and the first to own more than one of the same vehicle.
Over the hill and picking up speed!

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
2012 Dodge Caliber (Hers-under protest)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Ask Elvis WTH he has been
Spend the summer as Meatloafs Roadie
Be a member of the "Five Timers" club
bit

Post by bit »

hey stick and kid its been a while cense my last visit but I too remember the excite days met a lot of really good people here and have really enjoyed the site

bit
100 Years from now it will matter
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Good to hear from you again Bit
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

Hey Guys,
Are the threads form the old Excite board archived here somewhere or are they forever lost outthere in Cyberspace?

BarnieTrk
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I am afraid they are gone, we were definitely better at old trucks than computer stuff.. I sure wish sometimes we had payed someone to save everything we had, there was SO MUCH....
Moose
United States of America

Post by Moose »

I've been hanging around here since the end of the Excite days, stayed through the yahoo era, MSN groups era and now to our own space. Hard to believe 12 years has gone by since I started hanging around.

Moose
American born, German blood, Texan attitude..... And people wonder why they call me "Moose."

66 F-100 Too much to list
05 F250 The Tank
Truckfarmer2

Post by Truckfarmer2 »

I have always liked the style of all old Ford trucks. My favorites being the 53-56 and 61-66 models. I have had a 66 before as my daily driver. About the time we started looking at vehicle projects for a father/son project for my teenager, we found the Excite page. Eric wanted a Mustang but being thrifty (cheap, lol) he knew dad had a barn full of truck parts. Because of the friendships made and interest generated by our daily visits to Slick 60's page, we found Eric a 63 shortbed. That truck became his daily driver for 3 years including high school. I caught the Slick fever again and found my 66. We made lots of friends through that keyboard. When Slickstock I came about, we had to go meet all these friends. My family still talk fondly of driving both Slicks to Iowa for that inaugural event. I am proud to say I have met some of the best friends from this club.
BTW, Eric and I both still have our Slicks! He finally got some Mustangs but kept his truck all these years.
If you continue to buy imports, where will your children work?
Harper
United States of America

Post by Harper »

dang you wert kidding...do you have the magazine version that was a BOOK version lol
awesome! enjoyed the parts I read. I do have A.D.D. sorry! :lol:

1965 SWB 460 C6 AUTO "Red Barron Red"
1965 SWB Going 302 w/C4 Auto (Matthew's)
1969 Dodge Charger "replica General Lee" 440 w/727 (Mine)

If you sent your Truck out to a restoration shop, you did NOT build it, jus sayin!
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

Good read. Its funny, I was actually going to ask how it all started! Have not been an active member for some time, but I think thats going to change this spring/summer as I start working on my 65 again! :D
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )
therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

ok i remember lance messaging me on yahoo chat. this was back when he started the excite club.. i think he found my old website on yahoo geocities.. who remembers that? lol i got to know kid too. We used to photoshop all kinds of goofy pics and see whos was the funniest... scooterboy will forever be in my heart... (lance you know) and we used to get a chime in from mercurygirl66 and her big ole pet frog lance gave her.. anyway just had to reminisce a little .lol :D
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image