Re-lettering an instrument cluster

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

69supercj

Re-lettering an instrument cluster

Post by 69supercj »

I've got the sweep style cluster and I need to repaint the letters. Any ideas? I've tried it with a really small brush and it just doesn't look good enough.
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Re-lettering an instrument cluster

Post by Toyz »

Purchase a replacement bezel and lens. Check with Tom at Flashback F100's
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
samdog1966

Post by samdog1966 »

I repainted the white lines for the cluster with a white paint pen a couple of years ago. It is like a sharpie marker with paint in it.( I bought it at a hobby shop) It took some practice but came out looking good. I used plastic headlight cleaner/polish on the clear plastic.
truckster

Post by truckster »

find a pinstriper...if you find a good one they can do very small work. they can probably even change the font of the numbers if you were inclined to do so
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Believe it or not, your vision is the biggest drawback. Get an Opti-Visor at a hobby store and the aforementioned paint pen. You'll be amazed at what you can do once you see in detail. Paint markers can also be found in ultra fine point. Look at Hobby Lobby or a campus bookstore at a college.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

I'm needing to paint the actual gauge faces, not the plastic lens but I guess the same tips would apply. My plastic lens is in good shape with good lettering and I polished it up and it looks really good. Just need to detail the gauges themselves.
theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

Jason at Greenback Decal can make overlays to restore your gauge faces. He already makes them for 60-66 Chevy C10's and Bronco's, and can custom make overlays if you send him something to work with. He custom built a 10K tach that looks just like an original 5K tach for my '66 C10.

Here's a link to his site:

http://parklane410.wix.com/home

Stock 5k:

Jason's custom 10K tach. Looks identical, same color/style/font. Just doubled the resolution.