Dennis Carpenter Unibody Tailgates

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dmsmith6

Dennis Carpenter Unibody Tailgates

Post by dmsmith6 »

Anybody had any recent experience with Unibody Tailgates from Dennis Carpenter? Just wondering what the quality is like now.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Re: Dennis Carpenter Unibody Tailgates

Post by Uncle Skip »

I don't personally know anybody who's used a uni tailgate from Dennis, but if its like the rest of his products its going to be pretty good.
All of his Ford products are made under license from Ford Motor Company and as a rule, he does not sell junk.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
62bigwindow
United States of America

Post by 62bigwindow »

I would definately call and ask alot of questions.I bought an aftermarket tailgate from a private individual and was dissapointed to say the least.Real thin(22 gauge) and poor fit and finish.Also the FORD stamping was so shallow that it was hard to see straight on with the light grey primer.Took it to a local body shop and had it worked over and still not happy.I ended up finding a rebuildable original.
Every day above ground is a good one
totten
United States of America

Post by totten »

I was happy with 66 styleside tailgate i bought from DC :2cents: Tony
1966 f-100 ranger,red and white,240,cruiseomatic,3.00 gear,a/c.
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Uni gates are made in China. The later bump gates are made by Carpenter in NC. It's really your only choice when wanting new. Unless you plan on hauling stuff, a thinner gate is better than a bent, rusty one.
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I disagree... a thin uni repop is only better than no tailgate.
I have had one fold in half with 170 lbs on it before I learned how to make the second gate hanger rod. Fit and finish is really poor and in my opinion not worth the price! A fixable original gate is well worth the effort if you have any choice

I have no personal knowledge if DC sells a better product than the poor example I ran across. Looking at the online catalog,the uni gate is not marked as imported, Shows it as ford licensed and the pic shows it in raw steel not the import black. a quick call to ask about metal thickness might help. I am not sure what the 19/32 stands for,66 is the body style

http://dennis-carpenter.com/unibody-tai ... 6640702-c/
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
mercman64
United States of America

Post by mercman64 »

I bought a uni gate from DC and sent it back. DC has lots of good products but those gates are not one of them. Thin and many areas are not formed like the original, but pieces are lapped and welded....not pretty...you have to keep looking, I bought one off of e bay for $400 as soon as I saw it and it is in great shape....keep looking and good luck !....dave
1964 Mercury Monterey Convertible
1962 F100 unibody LWB BBW "Show Truck"
1966 F100 short box "daily driver"
1963 F100 unibody "project truck"
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
dmsmith6

Post by dmsmith6 »

Called them and they say that the new gates are the same guage as the original (find it hard to believe but we'll see). They also say that they have almost no returns on them and that the quality has been improved since the first gates came out. They are made in Argentina (don't know if thats any better than China), but suppossedly with the original Ford dies. Shipping was only $15. Went ahead and ordered one. If its junk I'll be out the shipping to get it back to them. When it gets here I will let all of you know if they are feeding me a line or not.
ken_b

Post by ken_b »

I am not sure what the 19/32 stands for,66 is the body style

I wonder if that's (the 66-19/32) not the width of the gate.

I measured mine and its 66-9/16 wide with paint on it.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

If its from Argentina it might be all right, they kept making split unis from Fords molds into the late 70's or even 80's !!!
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

The tailgates always came from Argentina,, cause that where in raw steel,,,, if its in raw steel IT DOES NOT COme from China or Tawain if it did it would be rusted before it got here,, last uni gate I got Dennis told me himself to sell it for what they had in it since it was a piece of xxxx bad welding at the bottom thickness way toooooooo thin
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
JOSHF100
United States of America

Post by JOSHF100 »

Please report back when you get to look it over....I may be in the market also
Thanks
Randall
dmsmith6 wrote:Called them and they say that the new gates are the same guage as the original (find it hard to believe but we'll see). They also say that they have almost no returns on them and that the quality has been improved since the first gates came out. They are made in Argentina (don't know if thats any better than China), but suppossedly with the original Ford dies. Shipping was only $15. Went ahead and ordered one. If its junk I'll be out the shipping to get it back to them. When it gets here I will let all of you know if they are feeding me a line or not.
dmsmith6

Post by dmsmith6 »

I should have it in the next couple of days. I will definetely let you guys know what the quality is like. Thanks for all the replies! As always you guys come through!!!
dmsmith6

Post by dmsmith6 »

Tailgate arrived today. Overall I am pleased. It is not perfect but for a total investment of $415 I'm happy. It is not as thick as the originals that I have, but it is not paper thin. The Ford lettering is not as deep as the original but looks good and is very crisp. There are some grind marks where the side panels were welded to the top and then ground down, but nothing that a skim coat of filler wont fix. Overall looks very good and the lines are very close to the original. It is not a perfect show quality piece out of the box, but its not junk. I'm going to fit the gate tomorrow, but just holding it up to the body it looks good.
dmsmith6

Post by dmsmith6 »

I have the gate on the truck and it fits well. It took some minor (metal file and dremel) grinding to get the latches to work properly, but nothing major.
JOSHF100
United States of America

Post by JOSHF100 »

Thanks for the follow up. I was thinking about picking one up this fall at Moultrie swap but for 15.00 shipping I may not wait. :)
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

Pics man, post some pics of the tailgate please!!
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

they are advertised as needing body work to complete. i had one and didn't really like it, but the originals weren't all that great either.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
dmsmith6

Post by dmsmith6 »

Sorry guys I don't even own a digital camera, and all I have is a dumb phone so no pics. ezernut9mm hit the nail on the head, these gates will need some work to be perfect but the originals fit and looked rough too. My opinion is: if you don't have one or yours is too far gone these are a fair deal but will need a little work.
claybreaker 144

Post by claybreaker 144 »

Old thread but on topic...I'm not impressed with the tailgate but I am with DC service. I ordered the tailgate during a promotion and it sat for in the box for a couple of months and when I opened it had a dent in the top. I called customer service and they said it was on the shipper but they sent a replacement out without much discussion. I purchased the hinges to go with the tailgate and when I finally got around to mounting, it binds on then rear cross-member. I've had both quarters off my truck so there could be other issues with alignment. I assume I can elongate some holes to move the hinges up to fix this. Looks like it will take much work to make a nice fit. Should have jumped on the NOS one that was linked to on this site to Craigslist a couple of months ago.
62 Unibody Short Bed Soon To Have CV Swap
62 T Bird
66 Elcamino