power steering gear box and pittman arm questions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dotcentral

power steering gear box and pittman arm questions

Post by dotcentral »

Is there any real difference in steering components between a 66 F100 and a 71 F100? I would like to take the power steering off my 71 and replace with manual steering from a 66 parts truck a friend has.

As far as I know there is no real difference between the years. Just a difference in pittman arms. Steering column would move 2" farther away from the seat, and would need to get the steering column mount for a non power steering set up.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Re: power steering gear box and pittman arm questions

Post by MadMaxetc »

No real difference. The arms are slightly different I think, but not enough to keep you from swapping.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
bmcgc
United States of America

Post by bmcgc »

It is my understanding that you have to swap everything from the pitman to the spindle.

Since you are not swapping spindles Im not sure if that would apply or not.

Does the 71 have disc or drum?

Its not very often that someone goes from power to manual steering around here.
Over the hill and picking up speed!

1966 F100 (Mine)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
1965 Mustang (Hers)
2012 Dodge Caliber (Hers-under protest)
1998 1100 Aero (Hers)
2001 1100 Aero (Mine)

Wish List:

Win Indy 500
Ask Elvis WTH he has been
Spend the summer as Meatloafs Roadie
Be a member of the "Five Timers" club
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

71 has disc brakes, spindles from a 78 or 79 F100.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

The only issue you'll run into is that the PS box uses a short steering column. You can shorten yours or use the one from the donor.
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Spindles ('73 - '79, some earlier - use an online autoparts website to compare) will be an issue with the '66 tie rods/drag link. The earlier tie rods are shorter, and the later ones are longer, because Ford used thicker steel for the arm that the tie rod slips up into. You can either grind away the metal, or purchase the later tie rods. I personally prefer to not make alterations, but others don't mind.
You can use '66 - '79 king pins, provided it isn't an early '66 that MAY have '65 I-beams. The hole in the I-beam and the slot in the king pins for the locking bolt was relocated for '66.
Make sure you have the pitman arm for the correct power steering box.
You may need the brake line supports for the flexible brake lines from a '73 - '79.
Get the proportioning valve and all the lines too.
Not to mention the master cylinder with the pushrod (and/or the booster, if any.)
Note that '67 -'72 trucks came with dual master cylinders, but they were for drum brakes, not for disc brakes. It may be advisable to make sure the master cylinder on the '71 is for discs.
If you decide on changing the steering column, you can use '68 - '72 very nicely. You may need to rewire the column connectors, or maybe just put in a new turn signal switch while you are at it.
To use the '66 steering wheel on the later column, cut the nub off the top off the inner rod.
The support bracket does not NEED to be changed, but it looks nicer if you do.
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Haven't heard from my friend with the 66 parts truck, so I'll just look for 67-71 parts truck to pull from.

I did the disc swap the right way first time, so all the correct parts, such as prop valve, master cylinder, brake lines, etc. are correct and good. Bronze bushings were taken to a machine shop to be reamed to fit the 78/79 spindles into 71 I beams. Difference in diameter was only 0.0001" anyway, that has to be within manuf. tolerances anyway.

I may stick with the p/s column and see how I like it for the time being. I know it will be 2" or so closer to the dash. If I decide to swap to a manual column, probably go to a larger steering wheel at that time.

From what I have researched, manual steering box from 66-72 should be a direct swap. I will look for a 67-71 donor. 72 the pittman arm changed, might be only for p/s applications, but less things to have to think about that way.