Tire size Question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

William-in-St George

Tire size Question

Post by William-in-St George »

Is anyone running 255-60/R 15 on the front of a twin I Beam suspension? I currently have 255-70's on the rear and 225-70's on the front. This system works fine but I am thinking that the 60's would lower things just a tad. My concern is that the 255-60's would rub the radius arm. I would also like to have the same size tires all around including the spare. Opinions and actual experience would be appreciated. Thanks!
William-in-St. George
Greg D
United States of America

Re: Tire size Question

Post by Greg D »

I had my 225 - 60s on the front of my 79 for awhile - it's VERY similar under there.
They didn't rub but didn't have a lot of clearance.
There are adjustable steering stops on the I beams, you could just adjust them to not rub if they do. This will reduce your turning radius a little too though.
255 - 60s are going to be alot harder to steer if you don't have PS - I wouldn't go any wider than the 225's I have now after driving a non PS truck with them. I also have a pair of 225's on a 66 I had - they were about as hard to turn as I am willing to deal with.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Just a tad is about what it would be- just over a quarter inch less, tread depth being equal. Key factors in potential rub is wheel width and offset. I'm running 31x 10.50/15 on 8" bronco wheels on one of mine but it also has '77 suspension which allows a little more clearance.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

I have 225/60s on the front and it rides nice and don't rub but IMO it looks better with taller tires. Tom

1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

Here's my old girl... she had a very tired set of smoothies and whitewalls that I recently replaced with new. Fronts are 225/75/15 on 8" rims, rears are 295/45/15 on 10" rims.. I had the whitewalls cut locally.
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
William-in-St George

Beautiful truck! Thanks for sharing.
William-in-St. George
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Alright **Ewie** have to ask the obvious burning question..... What did you do to get it sitting that low? :lol:

Looks GREAT btw.

And welcome from another close neighbour.
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Ewie

That is a nice looking truck!
Is it 65/66? And did you modify the rear inner wheel wells to get the 10" ers to fit? What offset are they (front and rear)?

thanks
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

William-in-St George wrote:Beautiful truck! Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome :)
Leeroy wrote:Alright **Ewie** have to ask the obvious burning question..... What did you do to get it sitting that low? :lol:

Looks GREAT btw.

And welcome from another close neighbour.
It's done using DJM drop beams on the front, and shackles on the rear. This was a temporary fit since local authorities wouldn't certify the US-sourced beams due to their construction. If only they'd told me that before I imported them!! Not a total loss though as I'm now working with a local company to design and manufacture a bespoke set of beams using P20(?) billet. Will post more images when the process get's underway.

The higher profile tyres on the front give the illusion that it's lower than it really is since the top of the tyre goes up into the guard. I can still shimmy under her without the need of a jack ;)

Because I use the truck often she's back at "normal" ride height for now until I can get the lowering kit sorted and certified :(
slixtyfive wrote:Ewie

That is a nice looking truck!
Is it 65/66? And did you modify the rear inner wheel wells to get the 10" ers to fit? What offset are they (front and rear)?

thanks
Yep it's a 65. The wheels are Cragar Chrome smoothies which give you no choice whatsoever for offset selection. One size fits (hopefully) all. I discovered when I put these on and tried the lowering kit that the bed is slightly off centre by about 15mm. One side cleared, the other "just touched" so I had the guards rolled. There's plenty of clearance on the inside; no other mods required on the bodywork. I did slightly adjust the parking brake cable to avoid rubbing on the inside of the tyre.
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Hmph....! My 65 has been torn apart now for quite awhile but I sure was thinking that 8" wheels/tires were a tight fit in the back....

Guess I'll have to re-evaluate when I get it put back together.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

**Ewie** wrote:Here's my old girl... she had a very tired set of smoothies and whitewalls that I recently replaced with new. Fronts are 225/75/15 on 8" rims, rears are 295/45/15 on 10" rims.. I had the whitewalls cut locally.
Good looking "old school" truck.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
randyr

Post by randyr »

**Ewie** wrote:Here's my old girl... she had a very tired set of smoothies and whitewalls that I recently replaced with new. Fronts are 225/75/15 on 8" rims, rears are 295/45/15 on 10" rims.. I had the whitewalls cut locally.
The tires are an interesting optical illusion.....according to this http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/ The fronts - 225/75/15 are 28.3" tall and the rears 295/45/15 are only 25.5" tall. Sure the rears are way wider but you don't often see the "bigs&littles" go front to rear.... :)
William-in-St George

After much research and using the tire size conversion provided by randyr (Thank You). I have decided to go with 235/70's General Altimax RT all the way around on Ford/Bronco 8.5 inch rims and will also buy a spare, same size. I like the idea of having all 4 and a spare the same size. Hopefully I'll never need it but I do plan to drive this truck to some local shows. Called the powder coat Guy today and he said the rims will be available tomorrow. Should have this all finished up by this week end.
William-in-St. George
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

Ok, here's a few more images; the first couple taken shortly after I bought her and before I fitted the new wheels and tyres. Note the difference? Fronts waaaay too small IMO (205/75/15 on 7" rims) and rears (235/70/15 on 8" rims) leaving lots of room for expansion :) Only other difference (here) is the replaced springs in the front, note the little flash of red below the bumper. Sitting at "standard" height in both images.
In the "after" shot, the side you can see is where the rears did rub slightly before I rolled the guards. The tray is not centred for some reason; still trying to work that one out.

First night in her new home with my "other" toy :)

After a bit of a cleanup

Current stance; desperately waiting to sort out a "legal" set of front beams.
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Double post
Last edited by Leeroy on January 30, 2014, 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Whilst it does look better with the dream beams, it still looks great regardless! Did you end up putting the stock beams on?

What's so wrong with the dream beam construction compared to the ones you're having made?
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

Leeroy wrote:Whilst it does look better with the dream beams, it still looks great regardless! Did you end up putting the stock beams on?

What's so wrong with the dream beam construction compared to the ones you're having made?
Thanks Leeroy.. :D

The stock beams are back on as are the rear shackles. The problem with the DJM dream beams is that while they might be OK for the USA, here in NZ there are stricter rules as to what you can and can't do when modifying a vehicle. The dream beams are constructed from several pieces of RHS welded together with the spindle ends being 3-4 plates of steel welded, inserted into the RHS and then welded again. In other words many parts welded together which, as I've learnt, is a big no-no here. The stock beams are forged as a single piece. The rear shackles are no problem at all.

Not sure what the rules are like in Oz nowadays; I've been in NZ for almost 15 years now and it must 25+ years since I built my last car in QLD. I can't sell the beams for use (on the road) here so if they're permitted over there I'd be happy to do you a deal :)
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand