64 Tweety Bird

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

unibody madness
United States of America

Re: 64 Tweety Bird

Post by unibody madness »

post 100 beautiful!
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Still picking nits, but here is a shot of Daryl making sure the seat belts and steering column actually fit the way they were intended to. Yep, everything lines up.
The light switch and ignition switch checked out too. More wiring in the next few weeks so probably won't be many pictures. Wires are wires.
Merry Christmas everybody.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Daryl got some more work done this weekend but proved once again that things do not always go as planned.
He mounted the carburetor so I can start fabricating the linkage, but the master power booster is in the way of the air cleaner. Anybody need a new air cleaner while we shop for a replacement that will fit?

Meanwhile, we finished up the Purple Flying Monkey electric window project with new motors from EvilBay. By the time we pulled the used motors at the junk yard, paid for parts, environmental fees and core charges, the new motors were almost exactly half price from EBay. Not to mention that one of the motors was a replacement unit and would not fit. If anybody is going to do this dead easy upgrade, be sure to ask me about the difference in the motors before you go try to get them from a salvage yard. Save you a bunch of trouble.

This last picture shows the little V notch you have to cut to clear the motor case.

The assemblies were trial fitted and the motors checked. All is well in Tweetybird land.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

More progress.
Besides almost finishing the radio/ stereo wiring and installation, we stabbed the distributor and then opened up the new box of goodies. A billet arm rest with built in door handles and electric window switches.
This thing is awesome. Daryl is cutting out a panel to insert where the old original one went which will be covered with the tan naugahyde and the door arm rest will mount to this and then the door. The tan shows thru the slots in the billet and there is a courtesy light on the bottom of the arm rest too.
The arm rest will have the snake skin material that matches the seat.
We pre-mounted the electric window mechanism to make sure we don't run into clearance problems when it comes to actually finish putting the door together.
Tweety is getting better and better.
I think we're going to hang the front sheet metal next weekend, just because.
I love it when a plan starts to come together.

Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Finished the door preassembly today. The arm rest and custom latch are in and the PFM electric window is done.
The panels, including the kick panel where the speakers will go are ready to be covered and once that's done, we will finish final assembly of the doors, install the weatherstripping and window parts and put them back on the truck.
Here is the finished product waiting for covering.

**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

That billet door handle is brilliant!!! Where did you find those?
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

**Ewie** wrote:That billet door handle is brilliant!!! Where did you find those?

http://www.bigalscarponents.com/page4.html

Look's like a Big AL'S

Danny

ps. they can be bought for less on ebay
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Ok update on the dang power window conversion. Drivers door works great with motor in and all is good. On the passenger side, well damn. Burnt the 1st motor out somehow. Ordered a second motor, recieved said motor, tested said motor everything great. Mounted it to the window reg. Tested it, went great in one direction and then locked up. Would not go in the other direction. Took motor off, tested motor again and it is DEAD.
Skipper thinks something is wrong with register, I think the motor ran the reg all the way in one direction and had a hair ball when it hit the end of the teeth on the register.
Well any thoughts folks?

I voted today in Texas and I voted the right way :D :)

Daryl
Thanks in advance
DADwood
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I think your theory is pretty "solid" :twisted:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Just a little up to date information on the electric motor problem we were having.
The window register was bottoming out and jamming the motor which then quit working.
But apparently, when the motor jammed it shorted out the little leads we were using to jump the motors from the battery.
Daryl got new motors in and hooked them up and they didn't work. Doh.
So he changed the jumper and they worked. Duh.
Then he checked the "burned out" motors and they worked. Huh?

Seems that these little guys have a thermocouple that disables the motor when they jam up.... for safety. They reset themselves when they cool down.
We now have spare motors and I may bring some of them to Pate if anyone is interested.
Also, to ease things up on that old window register we used Never-seize (more is better) on the tension spring, the gear and all the sliding parts that contact each other. It made an incredible difference in the effort required to move the arm up and down. Do this even if you're only using the original hand crank.
Raining in Baja today so it looks like no paint, all wiring today.
Film later if there's anything to see.
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

After a couple of years saying I was going to do it, I finally did. I put an under dash rear brake bias adjuster in Tweety. Wish I'd thought about it when I was plumbing Nadine. Maybe some day I'll do a retro-fit.
I am going to flip that bolt and nut over by the way.

HawaiiKid

Post by HawaiiKid »

Those door panels look great!
2003 F150 SVT Lightning-"Bonnie"-Mid 12s Daily Driver

1963 F100 SWB Project-"Lacy"-Crown Vic frame swap in the process!
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28059
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

The door panels have been taken to the upholstery shop. Now, as soon as Mario gets back from vacation......................
Project66

Post by Project66 »

Can you tell me where the other bolts are that you placed in the firewall for mounting the evaporator?
Thanks
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Project66 wrote:Can you tell me where the other bolts are that you placed in the firewall for mounting the evaporator?
Thanks

I don't know if I understand the question here. I welded a bolt under the dash to hang it from and sure hopes it holds. I'll look to see if I have pictures of that. Maybe Skipper can explain.

Daryl
Thanks in advance
DADwood