Bench Seat Upholstery

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

William-in-St George

Bench Seat Upholstery

Post by William-in-St George »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-69-70-71- ... 9b&vxp=mtr Anyone used this or similar to re-upholster a bench seat? I also thought I'd buy some high density foam and carve it up to fit. I still have the old biscuit but it stinks and is hard and crumbly. I could still use it as a pattern. Any experience or better ideas? Truck is Rangoon red. Thanks!
William-in-St. George
rbeck204
United States of America

Re: Bench Seat Upholstery

Post by rbeck204 »

I have used seat covers from Distinctive Industries (they are sold through a large network of dealers). They are precut and fit exceptionally well. They are a FORD licensed manufacturer. The covers also INCLUDE the Ford embossed logo in the upper center of the seat. I believe they are about $240 retail. I replaced the foam from local sources.

I have a new in the box, embossed seat cover in Dove Gray that is left over from a project because I changed the color of the interior.

It is 4 weeks old and I will sell it for $200 plus shipping.

If interested let me know,
Rich
61 T Bird Convertible
1953 Ford Customline 2 door
tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

Look up SMS Upholstery in Oregon. They can send you original style fabric with the gear and lightning bolt embossed.

Pat
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

The foam is readily available also.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
William-in-St George

Thanks Guy's. I need of red/red cover. I see Sumit sells this stuff. I want a simple install it yourself and drive on. This truck is a DD. Thanks for the assist.
William-in-St. George
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

tomsrod wrote:Look up SMS Upholstery in Oregon. They can send you original style fabric with the gear and lightning bolt embossed.

Pat
Did the V8 trucks get the lighting bolt also?
Chris
tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

Mine is s a V8 and has one, but it is also a Custom Cab. I don't know if the embossed gear and lightning bolt was specific to Custom Cabs.
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

I think the only one to not have any logo was the black commercial seat. :2cents:
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
1green66
United States of America

Post by 1green66 »

I have a standard cab '66 short bed six cylinder that has the green interior. The seat cover is original with no embossing on the back. It is original and still had a clear seat cover on it when I got the truck. The only other one that I have seen with the same pattern was a black seat in a 4x4 '66 junkyard truck. It is a basket weave pattern on the entire seat bottom and about 2/3 of the back. The top 1/3 of the back is a regular grain pattern.
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

rbeck204 do you have a link to an image of those Distinctive Industries covers? Or a good source?
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

1green66 wrote:I have a standard cab '66 short bed six cylinder that has the green interior. The seat cover is original with no embossing on the back. It is original and still had a clear seat cover on it when I got the truck. The only other one that I have seen with the same pattern was a black seat in a 4x4 '66 junkyard truck. It is a basket weave pattern on the entire seat bottom and about 2/3 of the back. The top 1/3 of the back is a regular grain pattern.
See F7BIGJOB's post on seat. If that is correct our trucks may have been ordered with a cloth commercial seat. My F250 seat is same as yours.
Chris
rbeck204
United States of America

Post by rbeck204 »

Go to distinctive industries web site and they have a list of dealers.
I have purchased 6 from them and they are a great product.
Rich
61 T Bird Convertible
1953 Ford Customline 2 door
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

chris401 wrote:
1green66 wrote:I have a standard cab '66 short bed six cylinder that has the green interior. The seat cover is original with no embossing on the back. It is original and still had a clear seat cover on it when I got the truck. The only other one that I have seen with the same pattern was a black seat in a 4x4 '66 junkyard truck. It is a basket weave pattern on the entire seat bottom and about 2/3 of the back. The top 1/3 of the back is a regular grain pattern.
See F7BIGJOB's post on seat. If that is correct our trucks may have been ordered with a cloth commercial seat. My F250 seat is same as yours.

Commercial BLACK = vinyl :2cents:
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
William-in-St George

I checked out Distinctive Industries and the info I found talked about"original fabric". I Just want a new red seat upholstery cover that I can install myself out of the box. Distinctive didn't show that on their web site unless I am missing something. MAC's has seat covers listed but no pictures. SMS is similar to Distinctive in that they sell fabric and you hire someone to put it all together. The cover I removed was not the original Ford cover but a nice aftermarket cover that was worn out and not the correct color. That cover did not use hog rings rather plastic sleeves that clipped over the seat frame. There were a total of two hog rings in the entire install. I don't have hog ring pliers so doing two the hard way would not be an issue. At 250 or so bucks I'd hate to buy something that will require an upholstery shop to install. Thanks!
William-in-St. George
1green66
United States of America

Post by 1green66 »

Mine is all vinyl and green. I was a little off on the back design...two inset basketweave inserts. I haven't ever seen another seat like this other than black ones.

chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

F7BIGJOB wrote:
chris401 wrote:

Commercial BLACK = vinyl :2cents:
Saw that the first time. Could be more than one style.
Chris
William-in-St George

Thanks everyone. I ordered a red upholstery cover from NPD. Fits 73-79 Ranger XLT PN# F USRX-73VV-B cost 250.00 or so. I'll post back when I get it.
William-in-St. George
William-in-St George

Got the upholstery from NPD today. Very nice and will be more than adequate for my DD. I ordered some weldwood glue and a piece of 1/2 inch thick high density foam. I plan to add this bit of extra foam because I will not pay nearly $300.00 for an original replacement. Two of the back supports were broken so I welded in a couple of 1 inch strips. The lower spring wire was broken so I got some 9 gauge galvanized wire and replaced that. I also added two extra springs outboard. Likely didn't need these but I'm always trying to improve on stuff. I'll post back when I finish. The NPD cover looks really nice, all vinyl. I wish the seat area was fabric. Gets hot as hell here in the desert.
William-in-St. George
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I used to see a upholstery guy glue foam into damaged seat cushions, and then carve them to shape with an electric carving knife.
And I THINK there is supposed to be a layer of burlap? over the foam..
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

foodstick wrote:I used to see a upholstery guy glue foam into damaged seat cushions, and then carve them to shape with an electric carving knife.
And I THINK there is supposed to be a layer of burlap? over the foam..
Thanks for that tip.
Chris