Chrome bumper question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Uncle Skip
United States of America

Chrome bumper question

Post by Uncle Skip »

Can bumpers be de-chromed enough to accept paint?
I'm wondering about the nickle finish they put on as a base for the actual chrome. Nickle is really hard and slick.
Anyone have any experience with that?
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
longcabjohn
United States of America

Re: Chrome bumper question

Post by longcabjohn »

Any place that can chrome can unchrome, they dip in chemical.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Johnny is correct, they also reverse the polarity which takes the chrome off, leaving the metal bare, as I`ve been led to believe!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Sand blasting ?
Sure will take chrome off a set of wheels driving down dirt roads
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

What about the layer of nickel that the chromers lay down as a surface for the chrome?
That stuff is hard and slick (sic).
I'm wondering how you'd scuff that hard surface and/ or if you would have to use a special primer to get the paint to stick.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I would just blast to an acceptable surface, then epoxy prime in normal manner. I have had poor luck powder coating on daily drivers due to chipping. I try to minimize coating build-up for that reason, so that requires special attention to any repairs, welded or otherwise.
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Take it to a plater's shop, they reverse the polarity and the chrome falls off as mentioned above, same for nickel and copper coats. You will get it back as bare metal. They do it before they do any straightening on bumpers so they are only working bare steel.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

LM14 wrote:Take it to a plater's shop, they reverse the polarity and the chrome falls off as mentioned above, same for nickel and copper coats. You will get it back as bare metal. They do it before they do any straightening on bumpers so they are only working bare steel.

SPark

Thanks Steve for backing me up mate, I can tell you know what you are on about!.................... :thumright:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Keep in mind that the copper acts as a "filler"; once removed you will need to correct any imperfections. Thus, if you are starting with a suitable surface, you can avoid potential hours of work, as well as a build-up of materials, by simply creating a surface for the primer to adhere to. The potential problem is "break-through" to the copper, creating adhesion issues.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Just an FYI, if you do try sandblasting And I mean the Industrial grade, not the homespun version, It may be problematic. The chrome finish tends to roll up and not come off consistently. So you may create more problems that way. Back to the chrome shop is better, IMHO.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Pretty good info here! Yep, "industrial" blasting can be problematic! Today's media selection yields a process for most any application, from walnut hull blasting to Black Beauty, for examples. IF you want to actually de-chrome, then by all means, spend the money and have it vatted. If you have what appears to be an acceptable "chrome" surface, and simply want to insure adhesion, then my course of action is going to be a simple dusting to create adhesion for a suitable primer. Obviously, just like any finishing process; if you don't achieve a suitable sub-strata, you aren't going to create a good finish.
When the "euro look" became popular in the early eighties, media blasting was the standard. Obviously a lot has changed since then. My starting point would still be media "blasting". If that process reveals problem areas, then go with the somewhat expensive, IMO, "dechroming"
:2cents:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul