Origin of the nicknames

FL, GA, AL, SC, MS, TN, NC

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

kite1268

Origin of the nicknames

Post by kite1268 »

I know this has been posted somewhere on here, but I am new to here and can't locate it. I have recently learned that more than just the 50's models have nicknames. So far I've seen Effie for of course the 50's and Slick for 61 - 66 and Dent for 67 - 72 and Bump for 73 - 79? How did these names get assigned and when? Lets get an updated history lesson. For prying minds want to know.
foodstick

Re: Origin of the nicknames

Post by foodstick »

Well I think the dent, and bump nicknames are sort of our own.. and possibly the bump name? It would be fun if someone recalls just when they first started...
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

I saw dent and bump names in Hotrod magazine a few years ago. They had a bumpside build off.

I think they mention Slick starting with this club in that story about club formation.

Nic
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I guess I am not sure ... when and where those others got started from...
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

The terms bump and dent seem to have been around for quite a while, especially the "bumpside" reference. I don't know if it may have been a just a common term around the various old southside wrecking yards, or more widespread than that! I do remember the ol' "One-Eyed Sailor" from a bar on Telephone Road, made somewhat infamous by Mr. Crowell, answering the phone, "Cosson Motors, yeah, bumpside or Flareside?" in the mid -seventies!
I do believe Ya'll can correctly take credit for the "Slick" term, and man, how it has spread!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i know i was using the terms bump and dent long before slick 60s
not sure where i first heard it but it made sense.
slick started here
57-60 someone started calling fridge because of the square bed and that stuck too.
unibody came from the attached bed , ford called them integral cab. uni sounds better IMO.

i have always called the 80s and up flexi-flyers due to the front axle style on the 4x4s.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
kite1268

Post by kite1268 »

I wonder if each generation has its own nickname. I have seen the mid to late 90's being called the feminine years. I have since discovered the 48 -52 being the bonus built then the 53 - 57 being the effie. The 58 - 60 being the refrigerator.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

"the feminine years" ???? Not sure that's going to catch on. My Bronco may be somewhat gutless, but I would not describe it as effeminate.

Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
kite1268

Post by kite1268 »

Broncos are always strong looking. Even if they are low on power. I had a 73 with a 302 and auto and then got a full size 90 with a 351 auto. The 90 felt very weak compared to the 73. Loved how capable they both were.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Man, I was just trying to recall the last big 70's Bronco I saw go down the road...
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Not hard to remember in my neighborhood! "Big Yella" puts in regular appearances! 460/ C6/ Air Lockers. I'll try to get some pics.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul