baffled

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

pikupmn
United States of America

baffled

Post by pikupmn »

I've been putting this thing together for 8 mos now and I've got a serious hold-up......i set the truck up for a 302 and a c-6, then decided to go aod. every time i put a tranny in it won't go,as in no fluid pumping so the tires won't turn. tried to rebuild my tranny , no go, bought another tranny, no go, had my original aod looked over by a retired ford mechanic and he resealed it and said everything worked at the bench test, put it in and guess what...NO GO!!!!!! :cussing: I'm to the point that I'm under the assumption that the Slick Gods just don't want me to drive a Slick to Slickstock, and I'm REALLY pissed. anybody have any clue whats going on? I'm using the flexplate that was with my motor and had a c-6 before and the tranny mount was set up for a c6 and we never moved it because the aod slipped into the holes ,tightly. does an aod take a different flexplate or could i be pulling (or pushing) the tranny with the mount. any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated. Jeff
it's never too late to have a happy childhood

1966 Long Box 5/8 ton wha.gif
2012 F150 XLT Super Crew 3.5 TWIN TURBO ......yee haw
2000 Road King
Toyz
United States of America

Re: baffled

Post by Toyz »

Do you have your cooler lines routed and hooked up?
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Sounds like a fluid issue to me. You could either be low on fluid or your torque converter is not seated properly and not driving the fluid pump.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

I'm not trying to be a smart azz ... But..
After two times , are you sure it's the tranny ?
Is the driveshaft spinning , but not the wheels ?
Bad rearend ?
I know this probably isn't the case.... But...
Just wanted to point out the obvious
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Like Pat said, did you bolt the torque converter to the flywheel/ flexplate?
Really easy to forget to do that. Just sayin'.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i had a truck that overheated all the time, even blew up the radiator once.
new rad,new tstat,new water pump and it barely stayed below H
one day out plowing snow the trans caught fire
after i got it home and removed the trans i discovered the torque converter was junk.
i rebuilt the trans and bought a new converter and never had a cooling problem again.

you need to find a way (carefully) to have the rear end off the ground and see as Pat said if the driveshaft is turning with the trans in gear.

its possible the torque converter is not turning the pump because even though the bolts lined up, the tabs may not be turning the pump.

its doubtful the mount itself has any effect as it cant really pull or push anything, the connection is the bell housing bolts.

you do not mention the trucks previous powertrain and if you drove it so bad rear end is possible.

if you are sure that no fluid is being pumped and thats easy to see by undoing the line from the cooler than the issue is the torque converter not turning the pump.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
pikupmn
United States of America

Post by pikupmn »

thanks for getting back guys...
brand new convertor.rebuilt tranny. all 4 wheels are off the ground. yes, the wheels did turn(sometimes) but if i fill it up i get nothing. everything is tight and hooked up. we've had a trans in and out at least 5 times and sad to say we're gittin purdy dam good at it.i built new lines, had the rad flushed and i even blow thru the lines every time we put it back in. i drove the truck home but changed the rear end with my parts truck but i did drive it for 2/10 mi before everything started acting stupid on me.when we just finger tighten the bell housing bolts you can get alittle play on the covertor but as soon as they are tghtened there is no play and YES the convertor is in all the way, got the 3 definite clunks when you slide it in. i'm thinking that the flex plate is the wrong one cause it was for the c-6 i had hooked to this motor b4. is there a difference in flex plates? we put a staight edge on the c6 and measured to the convertor and did the same with another aod i have and there was at least 1/4" of difference. now i'm afraid i'm gonna have to buy another new pump.this tranny is gonna have to save alot in gas to pay for itself. Jeff

2000 Road King
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

My guess, and I have no working knowledge of AOD's as I told you the other night:

When you put the converter in the tranny you get it seated in the pump. You bolt the tranny to the block. You bolt the converter to the flex plate and it pulls the converter back out of the pump.

I would put the pump in the tranny, bolt the tranny to the block with the converter holes lined up. Now look at the relationship between the ends of the converter bolts and the flex plate and slowly move the converter to the flex plate and see how far the converter moves. You may be able to shim the converter to flex plate bolts with some machine washers and keep the converter in the pump.

My guess is the C6 and AOD are different flex plates.

I think the C4 and AOD use the same flex plates and there is an offset difference from what I was told when I looked into doing this on my '57.
Good luck,
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
pikupmn
United States of America

Post by pikupmn »

Steve, the convertor is fully seated when the trans goes in and when i tighten the bell housing bolts completely there is NO wiggling the convertor, it's like it's sandwiched between the pump and the flex plate, tightly. but after some more research i think the flex plate is the culprit. Pat has one he brought over tonite and i'm gonna pull the trans .....again.....and compare it with the c6 plate, also gonna pull the pump out and do an autopsy, i think i know what's going on in the pump , just want to be sure b4 buying another new one. oh and by the way Jim, the guy that redid my trans, said i did a pretty good job for not knowing what i was doing :o Jeff

2000 Road King
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Sounds like you answered your own question. That is not an unusual occurrence. A too- long driveshaft can cause the same problem.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Another addendum; make certain you set the kickdown linkage in the prescribed manner! Otherwise, you will be putting your new-found r&r knowledge to use again shortly :cry:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Random thoughts again! You are probably already aware of this, but it is worth noting. Make certain your replacement flywheel is a match for your engine. Early 302s require
a 28 oz external balance weight at the flywheel, later 5.0's require a 50 oz. weight.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

All I offer is good vibes, but I'm sending 'em!

No matter what, keep trying!
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

From a little reading I did last night, a C6 flex plate will push the converter back too far into the pump and cause a bind, killing the pump in short order. A C4 and an AOD uses the same flex plate. A C6 plate may bolt up but it has the wrong offset for the mounting flange for the converter, not by much but enough to push the converter back. Another "tell" is that on some C6 plates, the drain plug for the converter will not be accessible and be smashed tight against the flex plate, on the correct plate you should be able to drain the converter without unbolting the flex plate....so I read.

Good luck, Jeff!
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

that makes a lot of sense.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
pikupmn
United States of America

Post by pikupmn »

thanks for all the input. that's kinda what i was thinking, just like to have someone agree with me. pulled the trans again tonight 45 mins. flat pulled the pump out and had the same problem i had to start with....the gears are pushed in too far and the little gear eats into the stator support.pulled the flex plate and just like Steve said , the offset is different, not much but enough to see. Toyz, thanks for the info on the weights for the flex plates. this has been a real learning experience and a costly one too but one would hope to not have to go thru THAT again. now just get new pump(s) and get this thing to move. i may have another aod for sale soon. think i'm gonna keep the c-6 and the flex plate for it and maybe use them later if i want to hot rod it. thanks again for all the input, this site rocks. Jeff

2000 Road King
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

pikupmn wrote:...this site rocks. Jeff
Amen to that! :D
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...