Uni vs Seperate Bed

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

DKC

Uni vs Seperate Bed

Post by DKC »

Going to look a a 63 Uni for sale nearby. What are the pros and cons to this design? It seems that I recall that when these were late model trucks,( Yes, I'm that old) buyers avoided them for some reason. This 1/2 ton has a camper package with heavy springs and a 4 speed. I wonder if this package will give it an axle ratio that slow and an extra stiff ride. What do you think? --- Doug
rbeck204
United States of America

Re: Uni vs Seperate Bed

Post by rbeck204 »

The rumor was the cab sagged, causing the doors to stick or pop open when heavily loaded. I added the rear cab supports from a regular type of cab (the supports that are under the gas tank area) to my frame and supported the back of the cab that way. Simple to do. The frame mounting holes are already there. I have had no problems.
Rich
61 T Bird Convertible
1953 Ford Customline 2 door
Hookedtrout

Post by Hookedtrout »

I don't use my Uni to haul much, I have an F250 for that. However from the looks of the bed of my Uni it has been used to haul, a lot! No sag in my cab at all and I haven't done anything to reinforce anything at all. I think there was rumor that the uni would twist and flex and pop the doors open as well in rough terrain but that hasn't been my experience? I love my Uni, no issues other than the typical 50 year old stuff, suppose if I didn't want that I'd buy a new one...Nah!
Cory

1962 F100 SWB Unibody, 223
1931 Ford 5 window coupe
1968 GT/California Special Mustang, 289
Complete 61 LWB Unibody parts truck with 292 Y Block
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I've never owned a uni, but did look at one years ago that was low mileage. It had some stress cracks at the transition from the cab to the bed. This could have been from bad cab mounts, but I do not recall.