Removing cab from bed 62 unibody

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

6162f100

Removing cab from bed 62 unibody

Post by 6162f100 »

I have 62 unibody the cab is a complete rust bucket. I read some were that 61-64 cab would work .Wondering if any one has done this not sure how to sperate the cab and bed or would I be better off starting with a diffrent truck?
bruceandersson

Re: Removing cab from bed 62 unibody

Post by bruceandersson »

I think how you approach your build is up to you. If you have extensive metal working experience, you can restore anything. If you don't you'd certainly learn a lot trying this type of project. I may be getting lazy these days, but I always opt for a better start on the metal rather than patching one back together. I've driven half way across the country to pick up better parts, and have gotten my most recent trucks from out west to start with, even these can require some work but a small floor patch can be accomplished easier and faster than replacing the cab mounts and floor - or splicing a new cab to a unibody bed.
olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

My truck was a complete rust bucket too. Although, since it's been in the family since new, I decided to fix the rust. I'm having a shop do it, since the rust was so extensive, and it's turned into a major project in terms of time and money ... way more than the truck will be worth than it's done.

With regard to the cab and the bed, they are completely integrated and are not designed to be taken apart. So it seems that unless you have an emotional attachment to this truck it would make sense to get one with a relatively rust-free body.

Here are some pictures of the body. Also, I've attached a link to all the pictures I've taken so far. This has gone from very rusted body on frame to a rust repaired body almost ready to go back on the chassis.

This is the link to all the build pictures
http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks/20 ... d-at-Shop/

Extensive rust, required new floorpans, step plate section, base of A-pillar, front mounts, torque box (below bed right behind cab), bed floor and other areas

Body just coming off chassis. BTW, the body could not be removed until extensive rust repair was done, since it wasn't rigid enough

Current state, almost ready to go back on chassis

I hope this helps :)
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

holy cow.. you got your work cut o0ut for you on that one but im glad your saving it!!!

:shock:
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
6162f100

Post by 6162f100 »

Not really attached to so I thank i should start with truck. Can do a little metal work but probably over my skill level. thanks for the help.