Installed a New Windshield Today

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64f100sixcylinder

Installed a New Windshield Today

Post by 64f100sixcylinder »

I found an eBay seller with new windshields for my 1964 F100, for only $139. I bought it and it took about 10 days for it to arrive at their local warehouse for pickup. It was about a 30 minute drive to the warehouse from my house. I made a bubble wrap nest in the back seat of my F150 so I could get the glass home without damage. I put the glass in the nest and secured it with a ratchet strap over a blanket for more padding. The glass made it home safely, but the potholes didn't make the ride fun.
My original windshield was scratched badly in random areas, had a bad wiper scratch, delamination at the edges, and multiple chips. I couldn't stand it any longer, it was hard to see at night or in certain sun situations.
After I got the new windshield home, I went to Macs Antique Auto Parts and bought a new gasket. Although my other gasket (from LMC) was only a year old it was VERY hard to install so I opted to try a new one from Macs. Fitting the gasket to the windshield was not easy, but with some patience I got it on and secured it with masking tape. I put rope in the channel and prior to setting it in the opening, I lubed it with some car wash soap. I started at the top, working from the center out slowly pulling the rope, making sure the gasket went over the pinch weld. Once the windshield was in, I worked the gasket into place with my hands and a pulling tool. I took my time, and it was not very hard to do, but patience is a must.
64f100sixcylinder

Re: Installed a New Windshield Today

I used paint sticks to push the old gasket over the pinch weld, and remove the scratched windshield
The top of the windshield is free, I then just pushed it out and lifted it out of the truck
Windshield (or tire) lube
Here i am almost to the lower corners with the rope
64f100sixcylinder

Windshield installed! I spent a little time working the gasket to make sure it was seated on the pinch weld everywhere. Then cleaned my hand prints off, put the wipers back on, and cleaned up. Total time spent was about 2 1/2 hours, this is way faster than my last install with the LMC gasket that fought me for about four hours.
I forgot to mention that the new windshield is tinted at the top, which will be nice since I have no sunvisors yet
JOSHF100
United States of America

Post by JOSHF100 »

Nice job!... Did you install it alone?..
I've had the wife help me install a couple in the past. :) Glass scares the buddys away.. :?

Randall
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Nice write up and good looking truck! I've been putting off doing this on mine...

Ditto on did you do this alone?
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Looks great, and one other trick is when the windshield is out, get rid of any burs and sharp edges on the pinch weld frame, Those little edges and teeth make it much harder.

All my trucks have the chrome.. but there is something appealing about the simple black clean rubber. The chrome does add some serious frustrations to the installation process as well.
64f100sixcylinder

My truck came with the stainless windshield trim originally, I decided it would look better without it since I have very little chrome on the truck. Like you said, it is easier to install the windshield without the trim. I should probably sell the trim I have on ebay, I'll never use it.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

That Is A Great Looking Truck. I Like The The Look Of The Plain Black Rubber Also, I Had The Chrome Trim On A Few Of My Old V.W. Bug's And It Was A Major P.I.T.A.
64f100sixcylinder

I did do this alone. The gasket is the key to weather or not you'll be able to it alone. The LMC gasket is wider and VERY hard to work with, the MACS gasket (made by Precision) was narrower and seemed more pliable. Starting at the top center worked well for me, and I just took my time.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i too once used a LMC gasket mainly because i was in their store and i could avoid shipping cost
was for my wifes truck and she did help, had to use lots of tape to hold it onto the windshield until it was in place

my trucks windshield needs replacing too, i already bought the rubber actually the last few from Tom @ www.flashbackf100s.com
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton