fishermick
Australia

Hello guys, Newbie here..

Post by fishermick »

Hi guys,
My name is Mick
I'm from Perth in W.A.
Ive been wanting to rebuild a "slick" for many years and have been trying
to pick one up around the traps, but for one reason or another I've never bought one.
I like the looks of them, I think they look great .
I drive a 2005 F 250 4x4 diesel.
Im Canadian born and recently had to go there for family reasons and whilst visiting my uncles farm
I noticed an ariel picture on the wall of the farm in 1976....and it had a ford f100 in it.
I asked about the truck and he said...I drove it out the back pasture, and its still there now.
I couldn't wait...
So out we went and it turns out to be a 1964 Mercury long box 6 cyl , 3speed on the column.
the body has never been crashed and very little rust. the truck is complete with all the chrome strips etc. My cousin took them off years ago and was going to do it up, but never did, and they are sitting in the cab in a box along with 4 hubcaps with the mercury logo on them.
I asked my uncle how much and he said.. Take it..its yours..!! Bloody hell!! How good is that!!
So now I need to get organized to get it here, just wondering if any of you guys have brought cars over and who to see and any pitfalls to watch.
He also has a 1956(?) F350 there dual wheel truck and a 1953(?) chev half ton with a step side box, but missing the front end.
Ill try to get some pics up
I enjoy the forums and pics on this site. Keep up the good work guys..

Last edited by fishermick on June 9, 2015, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Id rather be fishing or driving an F truck!

2005 ford F250 7.3 litre diesel dual cab
mercuryv8
Canada

Re: Hello guys, Newbie here..

Post by mercuryv8 »

Cool story on your truck. Welcome to the board.

7.3L were only available here until 2003, how long did they run them in Australia?

Nic
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

yeah what a history on that ole Mercury ! and hopefully a interesting future as well..
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Wow what a find! The grill looks gone but the all important Mercury letters are still there!
How's the tailgate??

Welcome to the forums from the south eastern side of Aus!

Not too many mercs this far south (aka zero!) another aus forum member has a 'big slick' version which is just superb so you'll be 1 of 2 down this way. Youll certainlyhave a rare beast when it arrives.

I have had involvement with bringing cars over, it isn't a cheap exercise sadly but in your case it's probably worth it!

I'll write what I know ASAP, just let me put the kids to bed!! :lol:
fishermick
Australia

Post by fishermick »

Hi Guys...
Thanks for your replies..

Mercury v8 -- As far as I am aware they brought the 7.3 ltr motors here until 2005. I was told they stopped because they couldn't meet the new Australian emission standards. My truck is amongst the last to be sold in Australia. I was built in Brazil and is a factory build right hand drive dual cab.

Hi Foodstick....cool name.. hopefully I can make it all come together and end up with a great ride.

Hello Leeroy.. I think it will be worth the cost.. like you said fairly rare in these parts.
The Tailgate is straight and does need some repair. Its got the mercury logo on it as well . so well worth it.

I've looked up the vin number on the net and found a bit of info on it. but because its a Canadian truck and a mercury it doesn't match any ford records that I know of. Maybe someone could help.

fishermick
Australia

Post by fishermick »

couple more pics

Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Geez what on earth is laying in the back! Looks heavy. :lol:

I don't have experience with exporting from Canada, but I'll pass on what I know about my experiences with the U.S.
You MUST have the title before it can leave the American docks, no title, no export. I don't know if Canada has titles like the USA but it would pay to find out.
Slick must be at least a roller. I can't see as I'm responding on the phone but I didn't see a back wheel (or maybe it's just weighed down?)

I know some people who've used the shippers out of the just parts mag to Freo with success. I'll try from no the exact one. They run $3-$3500. Try to find one who is all inclusive taking care of customs etc. basically pickup from their depot and you pickup from theirs in aus after customs have done their bit. (And paid the fees)

Fees.... Arrrrgh
Customs need proof of the sale price,
They add ALL freight costs to that, internal Canada/USA and shipping costs to aus.
Then they convert all that to aus $$ and add 5% to the total amount above as a 'customs fee'
After that they add 10% GST to the grand total of sale price, freight costs AND customs fee.

Let's say a $3000 slick
Internal shipping $500
Freight to aus $3000
5% customs fee $325
10% GST $683

Any goods in the back can be hit and miss if the shipper will allow it. So if you wanted to say change a guard or door, do that before it leaves because spare parts can be turfed if you've got the wrong shipper.

That's all I got for now
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Mick: What province is your family in?
A friend of mine here in Alberta has a buddy in BC who has sent Seacans full of cars/parts over to OZ, and shipped plenty of OZ tin back. The fellow in BC has friends in OZ. I will see what else I can find out, and sadly I have forgotten if his Ozzie connection was in Perth or Adelaide:(
And as Leeroy has mentioned, I think you will be miles ahead lining up as many parts as you can before the truck ships.

James
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Mick: The fellow in Kelowna, BC is shipping to a fellow in Perth, I PM'd you some more info, if you have any trouble getting ahold of the fellow in Perth, let me know & I'll try to get you more details....

James
fishermick
Australia

Post by fishermick »

Hi James..
sent you a pm..
the truck is in central Alberta by the way, near Stettler.

fishermick
Australia

Post by fishermick »

Leeroy,

Thanks for all that info..

I've had dealings with customs etc before bringing in earthmoving equip. before.
I know they can be quiet hard on some things.

Good info Mate!! :clap: :clap:

jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Mick: Your first post says it's a '65? I don't see any Twin I Beam Emblems on the fenders?? And that grille, what I can see of it, looks like a '64?? I have a '64 M350, good job I didn't stumble on your Uncles farm before your trip over here, would have made a good parts truck:):)

Let me know how the info in the PM pans out for you once you've had time to do some recon:)

James
fishermick
Australia

Post by fishermick »

James... you could be right , maybe it is a 64..
Ill look into that..

These are also sitting there

Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:welcome: to the show Mick, this will be interesting to watch, my fingers are crossed for you mate. looks like you wont be needing new wiper arms by the looks of it :( , I have a brand new set of L/hand drive arms...don`t ask why !!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

I have a brand new set of L/hand drive arms...
Like that LHD clutch pedal? oh wait..... no it was ME who bought that. :lol: :lol:
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Leeroy wrote:
I have a brand new set of L/hand drive arms...
Like that LHD clutch pedal? oh wait..... no it was ME who bought that. :lol: :lol:

we do have things in common, we are both knuckleheads! :lol:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif