61-64 common questions and modifications

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

MattsIASlickShop

61-64 common questions and modifications

Post by MattsIASlickShop »

we will add content to this thread as it pertains to the popular changes we have done to these trucks
MattsIASlickShop

Don't have your hood fly up on you

Post by MattsIASlickShop »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Don't have your hood fly up on you.
Drill a hole in your emergency latch (Falcon shown but a slick is very similar).
use a hitch pin or padlock through the hole, and save expensive hood, windshield, and underwear repair :wink:
[albumimg]1117[/albumimg]
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

I used the cable and lock from a late 70s GMC(same as Chebby) to get rid of the outside hood latch on my 62 pickup. The ring that is on the hood on our pickups matches the GM lock just right. Had to make a mount so it would fit in the place of our stock lock, and mounted the pull handle right next to the park brake handle. Has worked out real well. I don't have a digital camera to put pictures up (wouldn't know how to do that anyway). I hope to bring it to SS08, so maybe someone can take pics and post.
Fred
motormount1

Post by motormount1 »

i installd a one wire alt. on my 64 and eletronic ignition.
motormount1

Post by motormount1 »

i installd a one wire alt. on my 64 and eletronic ignition.
sully5

Re: 61-64 common questions and modifications

Post by sully5 »

On a lowered truck, getting shocks that are right for your particular stance can be a challenge. There were two options for mine with stock mounts: too long, and too short. The problem is made worse by the double stem shocks that come on these trucks. I decided to change the equation by changing the type of mounts at the bottom to a more common type. This requires decent welding skills and enough welder to get good penetration on 1/4" steel. The tabs are common shock mount taps from most any racing fabrication supplier and 1/4 flat stock and a bolt of the appropriat size (1/2 or 5/8 if memory serves).

If thou bleedest not, thou workest not. - Hezekiah 2:12
sully5

Post by sully5 »

No Limit has a pretty nice R&P setup for the 61-64 Slick. After playing around with the Toyota conversion and then trying to engineer/source my own R&P steering (epic fail) I broke down and ordered the No Limit Engineering kit. Other than blowing out the seals with my Ford PS pump (Saginaw/Delco makes less pressure) it was a straight forward install. Well-engineered and good customer support. After blowing out the seals, to save time, they gave me a part number to source a replacement rack locally and reimbursed me for the purchase. The replacement needed surgery to make it work, but nothing too daunting.

FYI, it will NOT WORK with dropped axles. They state that on their website and after looking over the kit, it is obvious why.

Here's what it looks like installed.

If thou bleedest not, thou workest not. - Hezekiah 2:12
azjake
United States of America

Post by azjake »

motormount1 wrote:i installd a one wire alt. on my 64 and eletronic ignition.

What alternator and mounting brackets did you use? Do you have a 292 V-8 engine? Please post photos of your installation.

Thanks,
Jake
I think I'll go to the "Spousal Avoidance Center" (workshop) for a while...
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

I put a 300 in my 63, complete with a home rolled bell crank linkage for the throttle.

For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

azjake
United States of America

Post by azjake »

Has anyone installed a one wire alternator on a 223 six? If so, what alternator and mounting brackets did you use?

Jake
I think I'll go to the "Spousal Avoidance Center" (workshop) for a while...
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I used a 63 amp Delco Remy 10 S1 alternator rebuild, from Napa for one 223, and auto zone for both my 292 motors. Gm used this alternator in mid seventies
I do not have pictures of the 223 bracket I made up but could ask my son to take one.
I can post the conversion bracket I made for the 292 Y-block.
Search:
http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob ... ator1.html

use the three wire 'remote' method shown, your idiot light will work, and the alt will excite properly
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Jake, there is some really good info at John's link above, especially for a daily driver! With your wiring circuits in place, i see no justification for a "one-wire"! Again, JMO,
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
oldred
United States of America

Post by oldred »

i always liked to use an off the shelf if i used a gm alt... because if you have a gen or alt light the white wire in the connector will connect and tell you if it quits before you run down your batt.but if you have gauges it does not apply.
4.6/dohc
8ba flattie
351w