352FE Cyl 3,4,7,8 Lifters

Here you go guys. An Australian Chapter
**Ewie**
New Zealand

352FE Cyl 3,4,7,8 Lifters

Post by **Ewie** »

Hey gang.. my 65 has been in storage in a friends workshop for appx 10 months. Went to collect her today and have an odd issue; maybe someone can offer some insight before I start pulling things apart unnecessarily?

Long story short when she was started she ran like a hairy goat (putting it mildly). Engine started but idled VERY rough but with no obvious noises outside the usual.

After a process of elimination, first with plugs, leads etc, we discovered ZERO compression on #3 and #4 cylinders. We removed the rocker cover, started the engine again and noted very little oil arriving at the rockers. Weirdest thing was NO MOVEMENT at all on either inlet or exhaust valve/rockers.

We removed the other rocker cover and found the same thing on #7 and #8 cylinders. Needless to say we shut her down rather than risk any damage.

The oil light was OFF as the engine ran and we didn't have an oil pressure gauge to do a test but something tells me it's an oil pressure problem, and possibly the oil pump...

Anyone with a bit more experience ever come across this before?
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
bruceandersson

Re: 352FE Cyl 3,4,7,8 Lifters

Post by bruceandersson »

I have not run into this, but it sounds like you might have either some collapsed lifters or your cam could have some lobes wiped. I'd pull one of the lifters that is not moving to see if it is collapsed. Easy to do from the top with a lifter removal tool. If it is not collapsed, then you have a cam issue. If you have oil at the lifters of the working cylinders, then it is less likely you have an oil issue.
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

Sounds like cam is broke in half, rear part not turning. Just a guess.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

bruceandersson wrote:I have not run into this, but it sounds like you might have either some collapsed lifters or your cam could have some lobes wiped. I'd pull one of the lifters that is not moving to see if it is collapsed. Easy to do from the top with a lifter removal tool. If it is not collapsed, then you have a cam issue. If you have oil at the lifters of the working cylinders, then it is less likely you have an oil issue.

What would be the likelihood of 8 lifters collapsing at the same time? Def worth checking though. I found a vid on Youtube that talks about diagnosing hydraulic lifters.

longcabjohn wrote:Sounds like cam is broke in half, rear part not turning. Just a guess.
Johnny

That's what it looks like but would've though she would be making a LOT more noise if that was the case.

Thanks for the feedback guys; looks like I'll be pulling the engine down sooner than expected... and in typical fashion; right when I have zero $$$ available...
Last edited by **Ewie** on January 4, 2016, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Cam breaking is unusual but has been known to happen. Very rare. Easy enough to check , remove intake and rotate engine and watch cam or remobve pan and do it, might be easier.

Rich
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

64 f100 wrote:Cam breaking is unusual but has been known to happen. Very rare. Easy enough to check , remove intake and rotate engine and watch cam or remobve pan and do it, might be easier.

Rich

Thx Rich, found a cam+lifter kit available here for about $400 NZD... (urgh!!) Think I'll do some more inspection and decide which way to go...
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Not knowing what the exchange rate is between the US and Kiwi-land but you can get cam and lifters on Ebay for around $185 US with free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/191113303423?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I'm sure you would pay some shipping. Just an FYI.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Looks like it would be around $274 NZD give or take. Hope you find it isn't needed.
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

orangeRcode wrote:Not knowing what the exchange rate is between the US and Kiwi-land but you can get cam and lifters on Ebay for around $185 US with free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/191113303423?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I'm sure you would pay some shipping. Just an FYI.

Thanks for the FYI... Def will do some eBay searching once I'm sure of the diagnosis. :D

Did a bit more research today and still think it's got something to do with oil pressure.. could be completely wrong but won't hurt to make sure before I start pulling the engine down. Talking to an old hot rod guy locally, I'm going to pull the distributor and see if I've spun the oil pump drive shaft.. not uncommon apparently.. cost nothing to check...
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

In either case, will require and engine take down. Bound to be metal in the oil if ran very long.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

Ok, update. Went over to where the truck is currently stored and pulled the distributor. The oil pump drive shaft was in place in the bottom of the distributor mounting hole.

I manually turned the shaft with an extension drive and it appears to be working, got oil arriving at the oil filter and some resistance on the drive.

The only oddity I noticed as that I think the shaft is only "just" engaging to the distributor. The top of the rod was well below the bottom of the distributor hole and I estimate it's only engaging by about 3-4mm at best.

Plan now is to get the ol girl back home on a trailer which will make it easier to tinker about. I next plan on removing the inlet manifold and inspecting the lifters and the oil galleries...
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

Another update, and not so good news for me unfortunately. Looks like the camshaft has broken in two... cuss.gif

No idea of the cause at this stage but having already pulled the intake manifold off, looks like I gotta pull the whole motor. Hey; on the plus side it'll be a heap lighter now!!!
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I had never heard of a cam breaking before, but it sure fit your symptoms. You might have an interesting time getting the old cam out. i'd try driving the back portion out the back of the engine via the freeze type plug at the end of the cam. It might be stuck to the bearings, thus the breakage. If you had no oil to at least one rear cam bearing the heat buildup caused a sudden lock and broke the cam. The lack of oil would most likely be due to the cam bearing oil hole not lining up to the block passage. I've had that happen but caught it before running the engine much.
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

bruceandersson wrote:I had never heard of a cam breaking before, but it sure fit your symptoms. You might have an interesting time getting the old cam out. i'd try driving the back portion out the back of the engine via the freeze type plug at the end of the cam. It might be stuck to the bearings, thus the breakage. If you had no oil to at least one rear cam bearing the heat buildup caused a sudden lock and broke the cam. The lack of oil would most likely be due to the cam bearing oil hole not lining up to the block passage. I've had that happen but caught it before running the engine much.

Well, I wouldn't have believed it either had I not seen it with my own two eyes. I agree with you re the bearing... as you say it sat for too long, not enough oil pressure on startup, front wants to keep turning and it's sheared the cam.

My plan is to pull the engine, drop the sump off and have a closer look. May as well do the whole bottom end, do it once, do it right. Unfortunately I'm right at the pointy end of building a house.. you know, the part where you're not sure if the money is going to run out before the project ends. Can't see the rebuild happening for a while yet. Think I'll start collecting the parts I need as money allows and then re-build once I have all the bits. New oil pump is on the shopping list, as is a new cam+lifters, etc etc etc $$$$$$$$$$$$
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Bad luck mate, super annoying particularly right as the house is so close.
At least this way you'll have a 'known quantity' after its finished, although that doesn't help pay the damn engine bill!
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

Leeroy wrote:Bad luck mate, super annoying particularly right as the house is so close.
At least this way you'll have a 'known quantity' after its finished, although that doesn't help pay the damn engine bill!

Cheers mate... yep, bit of a bugger timing-wise but it'll be better for it in the end. :lol:
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
**Ewie**
New Zealand

Post by **Ewie** »

UPDATE.

Well after more than a year sitting, I have finally managed to find time to pull the engine and tear it down.
Can confirm that the camshaft has definitely sheared off just past the 3rd bearing journal.

ImageIMG_1662 by Ewen Cafe, on Flickr

Now to pull the pistons so I can get to the second piece of the puzzle...
65 F100 Shortbed
Auckland, New Zealand
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:oops: Buggar !
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif