66 full crown vic frame swap

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Brianrams

66 full crown vic frame swap

Post by Brianrams »

Well figure ill start a build thread about my truck im
Startin on. Its 66 long bed all orig i traded a 91 chevy
Lumina mini van i inherited for it. I traded some labor
For a 07 crown vic police car with 84000 miles. I am gonnado a full frame swap keeping all the vic drive train
And wiring. Any thoughts or tips will be appriciated.
Attachments
20160118_192227.jpg
20160118_192227.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 7260 times
orangeRcode
United States of America

Re: 66 full crown vic frame swap

Post by orangeRcode »

Welcome!

There are several examples of the swap you are about to undertake here on the board. Dark horse is one that comes to mind. Should be easy to find. Keep us updated on your progress. :mrgreen:
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Brianrams

Post by Brianrams »

Got truck and vic stripped down today. Gotta
Figure out how to get body off vic now lol
Brianrams

Post by Brianrams »

How do i post pic. Dont know how i got the one on here
sloth71

Post by sloth71 »

The best way to post pics on here is to link through sites like photobucket.
I'm doing a chassis swap on a 66 as well.
The CV body comes off pretty easily. Just remove the gas tank straps, ground wires, gas filler tube, fenders (and everything attached), then 12 (I think) body mounts, and lift off. If you choose to use mostly the F100 body and swap the CV stuff into it you will be lifting the body completely off.
I have searched and read so many of these swaps. There are a few different methods that will differ based on the needs of the truck body and the desires of the builder. I've seen people swap the Firewall,floor and CV dash into the truck. That, to me seems to be the fastest and easiest swap. You don't have remove the CV wiring harness, a/c, brake assembly, or anything really. Just cut the pillars and roof off the CV, remove the fenders and doors of the CV, and drop the floor-less dash-less F100 cab on top, line it up, trim the CV floor to fit the cab, and weld it in.
I chose to use the F100 dash, but use the CV floor (the 66 was in need of rust repair anyway) and firewall for the A/C system, brakes, and all the wiring holes. Since I went this way I was able to drop the body down to cover the frame rails.
There was another build ( I can't remember the username right now) that cut out pieces of the CV firewall and grafted it into the F100 firewall.
I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can, as I am still in the middle of my build. My work schedule has really slowed the progress on mine quite a bit.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I had the older vic from the 80's I filleted mine off with a sawsall ;) Watch for fuel lines ! the 61-64 cabs fit down over the frame easier after mods to the step and box floor, I think the 65-66 cab might be easier to get low with the method where you use the crown vic floor.. or build an all new floor.

I got rid of all the interior, glass, and a some of the body with the curb side garbage pickup over several months ! hahahah
Its all about cutting it down small :P

Kid then got the ok to take the rest of it to the scrap yard.. just had thin body fillets and a roof and hood at that point ;)