Removing rib-its...

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

robertrpeak

Removing rib-its...

Post by robertrpeak »

Getting ready to do some work on the drivetrain in my 63, going to move the whole thing forward two inchs, which will clear up several problems I have. Need to know what tool/tools would be best for removing the rivets that hold the spring hangars to the frame.
Robert
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: Removing rib-its...

Post by jamesdfo »

Well, last Oct, I helped a friend while he was removing all the brackets off of a ~1950 Ford Truck frame (the brackets appeared to be forged?).
His method was to heat the head of the rivets with oxy/acetylene torch until they were a dull red, then hit them with an air chisel with a bit like the one on the left in the picture below. Then use another bit (similar to a pin punch to drive the shank out of the hole....worked pretty well with the two of us, one heating, one on the air chisel....

longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

Use a small cut off disc, 3 or 4 inch, and cut an x in the head then hit with air chisel. Cut deep enough that it knocks off in 4 pieces. The truck show on powernation did this on the show that I saw yesterday morning and I have done it this way. Watch for flying object when it knocks off. Then punch out the rest.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
robertrpeak

Post by robertrpeak »

OK. The cutoff disc is what I had in mind, but I was thinking maybe not knocking out the rivet but maybe welding it in place to hold the crossmember after I remove the brackets. Sound good??

Robert
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

I would knock them out
Then use a high quality bolt & nut in thier place
That way, down the road a few years...
If you ever need to remove it
WAY easier to unbolt.... Than deal with a weld :cussing:
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I just used my air hammer without the heat. Make sure you wear hearing protection if the hammer comes out.
robertrpeak

Post by robertrpeak »

Thanks...