Non-mustang Ford muscle cars?

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ripsnorter

Non-mustang Ford muscle cars?

Post by ripsnorter »

I gotta admit I never even paid attention to them. I have no idea what muscle cars ford even MADE aside from the mustang. (which to be honest I dont really consider a muscle-car)

I've been more of a Chrysler and GM muscle car person. However aside from one or two, (67 GTO and anything with a 426 hemi springs to mind) I've never really cared for muscle cars.

So, in the interest of furthering my knowledge, what were some of the best muscle-cars made by FoMoCo? I'm also speaking of any Ford owned brands as well.

I grew up around 69 Lincoln Mk IIIs, but I dont consider them muscle cars. much more luxury in my book. Same with any T-birds I can think of.

The Torinos that Heavy loves are about the only thing I know of besides Cougars. Cyclones spring to mind as well. What were some of the best years and examples? Even Torinos, Cougars and Cyclones I know very little about.

So... enlighten me :)
Macon ACE

Post by Macon ACE »

hmm... Maybe V8 Falcons and Comets?

I always liked the full sized versions. Not sure if they're true muscle cars, though.

My favorite is the XL. Originally a Galaxie trim level, it was spun off into it's own model in the mid-late '60s. And ended in 1970. I had a '69 w/ a 429. And now have a '68 w/ a 390. My brother has a '64 w/ a 352.

Nice, comfortable, powerful cars.
:)
64 Ford F100 Flareside
68 Ford XL Convertible
87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
94 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
02 Ford Mustang GT
18 Ford F150 XLT
DocDave

Post by DocDave »

Shelby AC Cobra insane little car with a 426 option, british body, Ford running gear.
Shelby Daytona coupe more insane little European type coupe looks a bit like a jag.
Both are pretty rare but the Daytona is rediculous priced now, extreme rare.
Dave
From a guy without his Ford that he left on a rock in the North Atlantic.
Red62Uni

Post by Red62Uni »

Fairlanes too. Torinos, comets, cyclones, v8 falcon, cougars. and the world famous slicks (just kidding)
1962 F-100 Unibody All Original minus repaint
65 Mustang Fastback
68 Mustang Coupe (my baby)
79 Trans Am
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

butbut.gif wha.gif excuseme.gif :hm:

Below are what I consider to be Muscle Car that were available to the "Gen Pub" off a dealers show room floor without a NHRA or NASCAR License. These do not include any of the one offs from places like Tasca Ford in Rhode Island or Rolling Hills, Michigan, or BOB Ford out of Dearborn, or the Southern Mercury Dealers out of Atlanta, GA Dyno Don's sponsor with his Cyclone Mercury & Eliminator Mercury & all those Other GREAT CARS of the period that brought Drag RAcing to the masses. . . :shock:

57 Fairlane 300 with a Paxton Blown 312 "Y" Block
57 FAirlane with a 270 hp (2/4v) 312 "Y" Block
58 GAlaxie 300 coupe with a 352FE PI
60 Galaxie w/ 360 HP 352 FE Solid Lifter PI engine
61 Galaxie w 401 FE
61 Galaxie 406 FE
62 Galaxie 407 FE
63-1/2 Galaxie with 427 FE
64 Galaxie & Galaxie 500 w/ 427FE
64 Fairlane Thunderbolt 427
65 Galaxie & 500 w/ 427
66 Galaxie & Country Sedan w/ 7.0L
67 Fairlane GT 335 HP- 390FE
66-7 Fairlane & Cyclone 427 FE

After that there was no real "Muscle Campaign" as far as Big Cars with huge power, or mid sized with Big power. It all went to pony cars & so forth. And this is a watch pocket overview, not a complete accounting.

FBp Bolt.gif
Change is the Only Constant
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

always considered my stangs to be pony cars, some folks wil lclaim my 69 is muscle because its a smaller car with big block from factory, butbut.gif thats not what I believe them to be. the cars listed by Pete are true factory muscle from ford. my favorites are 66-67 fairlanes R codes or S codes. as well T bolts and ol tri powered galaxies gotta love a 406 FE
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

The 64 Thunderbolts and the 66-7 Fairlanes, with the 427s, as well as the 427 Cobras are insanely fast cars.
There are also , not mentioned, the GT40's and the Sunbeam Tigers. Any of those cars would be more fun than you should be able to have with your pants on. And , of course, the one and only F-100 XL.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
dwbr

Post by dwbr »

what about the MAVERICK ?.. cant forget about them!

my mom actually had one before she bought the torino that was handed down to me
________
Jeep XJ specifications
Last edited by dwbr on February 6, 2011, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Ford Muscle seems to me to start with the 63 Galaxys getting FE power and 4 speeds

7 liter Gals in 65-66

Torino/Fairlane Cobras from 66-71 (ie 427 cars into 68's 428 SCJ to 70/71 SCJ/Dragpack cars)

Merc had the Cyclones, Maurauder Cougar (Eliminators and the GTE).

The;
Daytonas
Shelbys
sunbeams
GT40s
All were built up post production or just Ford powered.

The Tbolts were Factory spec'd flyers built by Dearborn steel tubing and not exactly dealer sold cars.

Even though the stang is a pony car its tough to think of a Boss429 as anything but Muscle.
Someday I'll get another slick :(
bigtrip460

Post by bigtrip460 »

tasca ford sold Tbolts didnt they?

dont forget most late 60's and early 70's rancheros had big power. ooh and the mercury marauder too. there are probably too many to list. ford had alot of engines and some of those had different power levels in certain cars. almost anything they made could be optioned to be muscle and most of those looked the part.
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

I can't really consider any special small production or post-production cars Muscle Cars.

probably one of the cars I adore the most is a GT40, but they are so out of sight on price, and so rare that its hard to think of them as a real production muscle car.

I really only think of Muscle Cars as a fairly well produced car that your average joe could go into a dealership and plunk down cash for a normal car that was a high powered go fast machine with a big engine.

By the way Pete, when I was about 16 or so my dad found a 63 1/2 427 car with 2 fours, red leather interior and black exterior. absolutely gorgeous car. The guy has been hemming and hawing for the past 12 years or more about "might sell it, no really dont want to, well maybe someday..." etc.

Those XLs are pretty cool. A few of the Torinos and Cyclones I quite like as well.
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

There were a few dealerships authorized to sell & deliver DST Prepped cars like T-Bolts and the white letter cars. :thumright:

But Tasca also custom built a lot of 427 SOHC & DOHC powered "One Offs" and a few 64-5 A/FC Falcon Funny Cars like Hubert Platt , Phil Bonner & Tom McNeeley ran. Others like Joe Johnson & Jimmy Cagle ran Falcons built with Std OEM 105" Wheelbases.

Obviously Pony Cars, Funny Cars & 1 offs were faster, and far more squirley to watch. I loved the Comets, Falcons, GT40s, Griffiths, Tigers, some Econoline based drag cars, 66 335 hp 390 FE F-100s I prepped for FoMoCo Corporate staffers & Big Wigs et al, yet they weren't really true Muscle Cars in my book. But to see a sedan sized family car catching mid 13's was something to see. It was wild times for sure. :dancing:

The ones like I listed were all family sedan type cars that were known to eat pavement, cut fast times & they always drew crowds at the drive ins, in the street & at the drags. I think the term Muscle Cars was about large cars with huge engines that Got it Done.

FBp Bolt.gif
Change is the Only Constant
MrEvil

Post by MrEvil »

My dad had a '64 galaxie 500XL with a 390. He loved that car, he's still got it, but it hasn't been driven in a long time. A guy he went to high school with had the "R" code 427 in it and there wasn't anything in the Texas Panhandle that was street-legal that could outrun him.
Vehicles:

2000 F250 Superduty Crew cab
1998 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor(work beater)
1961 F100 Uni (my baby)
1966 Thunderbird: someday.
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

Mr Evil check out my club clash race team, we have a 64 Galaxie 500 on there thats just georgeous, these are all street cars that are driven to the track and ran, the 64 fairlane with a mild built 306 runs 13.50s all day long. finally after ten years hes tearing it down for a 347 to get into the heavy hitters with a 347, he will be the only 4 door car in king street lol, but the galaxie is one of my favorites
http://www.roadkillracing.com/
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Took Rose's son to buy him another Stang vert today. The lot owner knows a guy in town who has 3 Boss 429 Stangs! Kinda tough to fathom owning 3 of those rare monsters.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:wink: The Ford Falcon XY GT/HO Phase 111,1971
Cleveland power at its best

www.fl.net.au/~warrior/karl/ford.htm
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

4-doors just dont seem proper to be muscle cars. Actually theres very few 4 doors of any year or body type that I like. (sorry alan)

You've given me a few cars to look at and dredged up a few memories though.

I remember a little black Falcon convertible at a swap meet once, pretty little car that I really liked. I'd forgotten about it until recently.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

:) Rip, Thats OK I understand,you`d have to of grown up here to understand,FORD finally came up with a car to beat holden( home grown chebbies) in Bathurst 500,a race of production saloons with a minium production numbers to qualify and this car did it driven by a canuck by the name of Alan Moffat our blue oval hero! worship.gif cheerleader.gif . Plus the four doors came in handy to get all the sheila`s in :rotflmao:

Alan :D
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif