Transmission swap from 3 speed to t5

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Jrpierce90

Transmission swap from 3 speed to t5

Post by Jrpierce90 »

Hey guys I'm new here. I have a 65 f100. The truck now has a 302 in it and the original 3 speed on the column. I'm seriously debating installing a t5 transmission. What are the pro and con of this and what all will I need to do to truck to make it work
bruceandersson

Re: Transmission swap from 3 speed to t5

Post by bruceandersson »

There's a lot of benefits to having an overdrive transmission. I've never put in a T5 and have no idea what changes were made to get your 302 installed, thus making me an expert.... I swapped a 3 spd for a 4 spd (4th o/d) out of a mid-80's truck. It was an easy unbolt and bolt in swap for the tranny once I cut out the floor section for the shifter. I may have had to move the tranny mount a little and adjusted the drive shaft. T5s are much larger, both in length and diameter. The shifter is also mounted farther back. I am sure someone here has done your swap and can give more insight.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Jrpierce90 wrote:Hey guys I'm new here. I have a 65 f100. The truck now has a 302 in it and the original 3 speed on the column. I'm seriously debating installing a t5 transmission. What are the pro and con of this and what all will I need to do to truck to make it work
Lots of good info out there about this swap. I've contemplated it as well for my 3 speed. One of the things I gathered from a little bit of research is you will want the s-10 tail housing as it puts the shifter further forward and eliminates the interference with the seat (especially a bench seat). The small block may be an easier mating to the t-5. I believe I have to get an adaptor for my FE.
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

The only con I can think of, if you want to call it that, is perhaps the price, and effort to install. Since a 302 is already in place, price will be lower and effort will be decreased.

Pros, overdrive for the highway, an extra street gear, 1st gear makes it like you went up a ratio or two in the rear, better shifting, loads of aftermarket shifter options, better general aftermarket support, approximately the same weight as the 3 speed, shorter driveshaft which equals higher safe driveline speeds.
It will make the truck more fun to drive in every aspect.

Since you have a 302, installation should be about as straight forward as it gets. Since T5s came behind 302s, a bellhousing should be easy to find. Or the current bellhousing may work with an adapter plate. You might need to modify the existing transmission mount. The driveshaft will have to be shortened.
You may or may not need an S10 tailhousing. A T5 absolutely will fit in my '61 without changing the tailhousing, with a properly shaped shift handle. Get the transmission in place so you can see where the shifter will end up. Use some existing body line or other reference that is visible from the top and bottom of the floor pan for a measurement to see how everything lines up.
you might need a different clutch, to match the input shaft spline.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
Jrpierce90

Post by Jrpierce90 »

Thanks guys for all the input .. I need all the help and advice I can get
jhorst14

Post by jhorst14 »

Doing the same thing to my 64. Currently have a 302, with a C4 auto, but still have the pedals from the original 3 on the tree. Found a T5 on craigslist that a guy pulled from a mustang...included flywheel, clutch, clutch fork, bellhousing, and shifter. I jumped on the deal, but then realized the long tailhousing and bench seat may be a problem...after measuring it will be close, but I also am putting in a CV front end, so not sure how (if at all) that may impact the location of the engine. Measuring back from current location puts my shifter back from where the current floor shifter is, but it might work. Like he said above might just have to get creative with the shifter bends.

I read a bit on the S10 tailhousing and watched some videos, but I just don't know how to confirm I would get the right one from the pick and pull. Just makes me a little nervous trying to do that swap, but haven't decided yet...

Also need to work out the clutch linkage and if I should swap out to hydraulic instead of cable. Anyway, good luck with your swap, and keep posting progress/questions...I am subscribing to this one.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

I'm no authority on it but I do know the t-5 tailshaft on a mustang will have the shifter mounting bucket towards the back and the s-10 will be towards the front. Just do a quick google image search and you can see differences easily. I'm sure there are part numbers you can identify as well. Good luck. This is something I considering in the future as well.