Did I get scammed on my widsheld?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

River City
United States of America

Did I get scammed on my widsheld?

Post by River City »

Hello all. Just curious about something. I had a bear of a time trying to find a glass shop to install the windsheild on my '61 Uni. Every reputable shop turned me away as they said they won't do classics. I talked to a few local restoration shops and they gave me the number to a guy that they use. He was certified, insured, etc. so I went for it. He asked that I supply the rubber and I did (a new Dennis Carpenter windsheild gasket). He showed up, nice guy, and promptly went to work. Put the gasket on put the glass in and told me "That'll be $400 cash only please" (he had quoted me $360) That urked me a little but oh well, paid the man. After he left it hit me, he didn't use any adhesive. So I called him and asked him why, he said "They don't really need them, I've found you get more leaks using adhesive than using none, don't worry, it's safe". Something about this seems fishy. Just figured I'd bounce it off you guys and see what you thought, or if you've been down this road. I'm a little worried about driving my wife and kid around if it's unsafe.
'61 F100 unibody SWB (Vic swapped daily driver)
'62 F100 Unibody SWB
'66 Mustang 'vert
'31 Ford Model A
Mr. Jones

Re: Did I get scammed on my widsheld?

Post by Mr. Jones »

Mr.River,
I put one in my 66-350 with one helper,took about twenty minutes.Rubber only no sealant,that was ten years ago.No problems with it.....but the $400 that seems like a lot for what he did.
Dan
River City
United States of America

Post by River City »

That's what I thought! Thanks for the info. For what he did I could have done myself, I didn't know he wasn't going to use adhesive or check for leaks or anything. Thanks again!
'62 F100 Unibody SWB
'66 Mustang 'vert
'31 Ford Model A
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

All mine have had the 'non curing' sealant in them to prevent leaks, but I believe sealant wasn't always used. Plenty of people have used nothing as Mr Jones above has said with no problems.

Oddly enough, whenever I have had a leak from a slick windshield, it has been in the same spot at the very top where the sunvisors run across. Either driver or passenger side.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

I have never had a Slick windshield replaced but $400 seems pricy for labor only. Maybe some will chime in but I thought I had seen several had theirs replaced with new glass for less than 1/2 that. I may be mistaken though, I am old according to my kids.
Andyman

Post by Andyman »

How long did it take him to do that work? I understand overhead, driving to and from the sites and the fact that they can't have jobs to do all day, every day but 400 seems very excessive.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

$159 windshield and installation in my '64 last year. The glass was going to be a little more, but there was a minuscule 'buffed' place on the upper left corner. I had installed new windshield rubber from Dennis Carpenter the year before that without any problems or sealer. I wouldn't have paid $400 though.... :shock:
1964 F-100
River City
United States of America

Post by River City »

Yeah, that whole thing annoyed me. He originally quoted me $320, I then requested no sunshade and no green tint. He then quoted me $360 because he said he had to get that from someone else he didn't have an account with (who knows). Then once it was in it was $400. I replied "Oh, you quoted me $360." He replied "Well I can take it back out" and laughed. I should have taken him up on that. 1. For being a smart @$$ and 2. For gouging me. Lesson learned, I'll be doing it myself from now on.
'62 F100 Unibody SWB
'66 Mustang 'vert
'31 Ford Model A
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I supplied the glass and rubber on my '57. Shop charged $75 to pop it in. They said they had quit using sealant with new rubber and a good pinch weld. He even took out the old windshield, did some hammer and dolly work to make the pinch weld nice and installed the new glass.

I would say you got hosed.

JMO,
SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
oldsmiley
United States of America

Post by oldsmiley »

Wow.... I must have used a wrong guy too. I had my 64 done years ago, and the price was good, but also NO sealer, after I specifically asked for it. New rubber is soft enough to seal itself, but usually after it draws up some several months later, that's when it leaks.
I mean it leaked bad. Got him back and he tried to squirt sealer under the edge of the rubber and fix it....NOT. Today if you drive in steady rain, the water goes up the windshield on the outside, through or over the rubber, and there's so much water running down the windshield on the inside you can't see.

I'll do the next one myself. I can't do any worse.......

Oh, and don't get me on the man who rebuilds nothing but Holley carbs........ I think I draw idiots.
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

I'd hazard a guess most if not all of use here have gotten took once or twice over the years, sucks but it happens sooner or later I guess. If it doesn't leak he only got ya for a couple hundred bucks and who knows maybe you'll run into him again sometime :)
CHICOF100

Post by CHICOF100 »

Man most of you want something for nothing. Why call some one if you can do it yourself. Most of you guys will attempt this then blame it on the "P.O."
This irks me. If you can do it your self, then "DO IT"
An example:
A farmer had trouble getting his tractor started, so he called a mechanic. The mechanic showed up hit the starter with a hammer and it started. He charged the farmer $200.00 So I ask you, Are we paying for the job, or the know how?
Everything is hindsight, "Know how, is gold"
Stop crying, if your scared to do something on your own, then maybe owning a classic truck is not for you!!!!
River City
United States of America

Post by River City »

CHICOF100 wrote:Man most of you want something for nothing. Why call some one if you can do it yourself. Most of you guys will attempt this then blame it on the "P.O."
This irks me. If you can do it your self, then "DO IT"
An example:
A farmer had trouble getting his tractor started, so he called a mechanic. The mechanic showed up hit the starter with a hammer and it started. He charged the farmer $200.00 So I ask you, Are we paying for the job, or the know how?
Everything is hindsight, "Know how, is gold"
Stop crying, if your scared to do something on your own, then maybe owning a classic truck is not for you!!!!
I called him because I'm more than happy to pay someone with the knowledge and experience to do the job right. I was told it needed adhesive, and to use it while getting no leaks can be tricky, (this was really what I was paying him for, I can put a windsheild in the way he did). He shows up, slapped it in, no adhesive, no checking for leaks, and requested more than what he quoted me, then hinted (all be it jokingly) if I didn't pay up he'd take it out. After feedback from other members it's obvious I was taken for a ride.

You can stand up for him if you want, not sure why, but if I knew that was all he was going to do then I'd have done it myself, and will from now on. Also, your advice to "Stop Crying"? You are on a internet forum coming down on us about things that "irk" you.....so there's that.
Last edited by River City on March 16, 2017, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
'62 F100 Unibody SWB
'66 Mustang 'vert
'31 Ford Model A
CHICOF100

Post by CHICOF100 »

It's not that!!! if your in front of someone who is doing a job for you, how can you be "taken advantage of"?
If you have someone doing a job for you, and say "I want it done this way", how can you loose? You have to be in charge!!
I'm paying for what I want, and that's that. You need to be in charge.
As a general contractor, you have sub contractors, they do as you say or you fire them. It's not that hard.
You need to have huevos or you'll be taken advantage of for everything.
Call his bluff, but really have it done the way you want it done!
Cry, yes you can. If you don't speak up, then you get what you get.
You can tell me what ever you want, but if I pay someone to do a job for me, they will do it as I say. So grow huevos or don't contract anything out. Remember, your the boss, do as I say "Period!!!!"
River City
United States of America

Post by River City »

CHICOF100 wrote:It's not that!!! if your in front of someone who is doing a job for you, how can you be "taken advantage of"?
If you have someone doing a job for you, and say "I want it done this way", how can you loose? You have to be in charge!!
As a general contractor, you have sub contractors, they do as you say or you fire them. It's not that hard.
You can tell me what ever you want, but if I pay someone to do a job for me, they will do it as I say. So grow huevos or don't contract anything out. Remember, your the boss, do as I say "Period!!!!"
Good point. I admit I should have done research on it all before he showed up. Me having the mindset of "Well he must know what hes doing" didn't do me any favors and never will. Some folks see that, zero in, and take advantage. If he was smart he would have seen the 2 other classic cars I'm restoring and seen the opportunity for repeat business.
'62 F100 Unibody SWB
'66 Mustang 'vert
'31 Ford Model A
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

LETS Talk windshields,, lot of glass places will charge one price for a installation if the truck has no chrome and then another price if putting chrome back in the truck and now remember this is way before a lot of members came here that I asked about cabs and that trucks with no chrome is a different cab FROM FORD Than a cab that has the stainless in it and it is true on that and any glass man that has been around these trucks will no that,, as far as seal, every truck here that I have had a windshield installed has sealer automatic put in and I don't listen to the glass guy on that subject,, tried once in my Mercury and the windshield leaked when just going to the gas station and cleaning the windshield with that thing in the buckets at the pump
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Andyman

Post by Andyman »

Yeah, I would say you definitely got taken. After his sneer comment about the extra 40 bucks I would have told him to take it out right now and when he was done I would say gtfo with that attitude. What an ass.
CHICOF100 wrote:It's not that!!! if your in front of someone who is doing a job for you, how can you be "taken advantage of"?
Yeah, okay bud. Btw,*you're
SLICKCOLLECTOR
United States of America

Post by SLICKCOLLECTOR »

the last one i had installed costs $200 and he provided a new windshield. i provided the rubber and this windshield installation the chrome. he drives to my shop and installs it in probably 30 minutes. you got robbed. it really is a 2 man job and directed me what to do to help him. hold the dumb end and where to push etc.

jim
1966 F100 SW 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW 428 TL sold
1966 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1966 F100 LB RANGER 390 C6 sold finally
1965 F100 SW CVC 460PI C6
1965 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1972 F100 RANGER XLT SW 428 C6 SOLD
1967 F100 SW CVC 521 C6
1967 F350 390 4 SPEED
1970 F350 428 4 SPEED
1974 F350 428 4 SPEED
1966 F100 523 STROKER C6 GEARVENDORS OVERDRIVE finished
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I install my own windshields and with practice it gets easier. For 400$, you should have gotten a windshield from Ford and installed at 400$. Original replacement glass is listed for something like 330$. The original type glass sealant is available but not from Ford. 3M makes it and is sold for about 13$ a tube which will do front and back glass if careful. As to prepping the cab for glass , you can do a lot of work around the opening to improve sealing and ease of installation. Workers at Ford were not all that careful abut the fit and the spot welds. Dressing up the spot welds and hammer and dolly will greatly relieve the problems of installation and leakage, but use the sealant in both grooves of the rubber, both where it fits the glass and where it fits over the lip on the cab. It is messy, and a pain to clean up. Use gloves you can throw away, and clean up with paper towels and carb cleaner. Be careful with the carb cleaner, as it can remove paint. Last time I had one installed fee was 25$. It take two people to do the job and it is even easier with three if they know what to do. One man/woman inside and two outside. One thing to remember is that dish soap thinned with water makes the job go easier. Also, new glass is easier to install as it is more forgiving old glass is brittle and tends to break more easily. I mention this as the technic for moving the glass to make it fit right involves thumping the glass hard with the palm of your hand. Watching someone install a glass the first time is kind of spooky, as you wonder if it is going to break before it is fully installed. Next time, ask first and you might save some of your money, but you already know that. I have for a long time thought "when in doubt, don't" . I sometime forget that thought, and it has cost me more than once.

Rich
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

SEE One problem is most of the people that did it years ago are gone,, all these new guys know are late model that just glue in,, Next I did not see whether the S/S trim was being used or not since that changes the price on most glass shops,, Next did you supply the glass ????, Since a lot of glass shops make so much profit on glass they can install at a lot cheaper price since making it on the glass,, Next should have went on line since there is a company in the country with about 35 warehouses that I have seen that will sell you the glass and installed from 175.00 to 200.00 for these older trucks,, Next also a lot of glass shops will install a windshield BUT and BUT Will not warranty if they break it cause if they supply it and break it they can just get another one since the mark up is so high I know on any of the 61-66 and 67-79's I can get as low as 65.00 so look at how much mark up it is and finally like I said there is a difference on standard cab trucks and custom cab trucks when it come to the windshield, But of course I know as well as some of the old timers,, Finally I ask myself why did he raise the price up ??? and should have said why ??
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo