Weekend with the traveling Vietnam Wall

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Weekend with the traveling Vietnam Wall

Post by shipwrecked »

The local American Legion post with several donations from local businesses brought the wall here to Newport News.

I spent two 1600-2000 watches at the wall assisting visitors locate names on the wall. I helped over 150 people locate friends, family, war buddies, high school friends, and even people who shared the same last names. I assisted people who didn't even know anyone on the wall.

For a Facebook post I put up, this is it. I spent last night trying to figure out a way to say what I was thinking without being me... a complete in your face no bull shit response.

Only heard one wild and made up story. Guy came in -didn't know any names on the wall but said he was in basic training only two weeks and went straight to Vietnam. Never finished boot or any other training.. two weeks and on a plane to Vietnam. Yeah okay dude... you obviously are sick and want to take away from the real Veterans who went.

Most of the people I helped showed photos of their buddies and them together in their uniforms or High School photos. I helped one guy who had 8 names on the wall in the same line. All were killed in the same firefight in March 1969. We looked up a young Marine who was born in Feb 1956 and was in country only two weeks before being killed in 1975. There was one middle aged man who's dad was killed when he was only 8 months old. A 71 year old grandma who showed me photos of two very young Army soldiers who she was friends with since school. Both killed early in 1966. A man who went to Vietnam with the 1st Cav , lost a good college buddy, but came home to become a physician. Suffered a stroke 6 months after retirement. He was visibly choked up every moment at the wall.

So to the dude with the two week boot camp story... you need to find another host to spread your lies. I can not and will not believe you and I wanted so badly to tell you to drop dead. You've wasted enough oxygen that others didnt get to breath.

When I was a kid, these Veterans were my current age. Now they are grandparents, and even great grandparents. The hour glass just doesn't stop turning.

I've spent almost 19 years in the military and did my fair share of ardious duty. I can't stand people who feel the need to embellish a story.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
longcabjohn
United States of America

Re: Weekend with the traveling Vietnam Wall

Post by longcabjohn »

THANK YOU

from Spec 5

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
grump

Post by grump »

I've been in 4 Honor rides for the moving wall and I've visited the moving wall 8 or 9 times. Each time was a very sobering experience. I know 4 of the names on the wall, 3 were lost on my 10th day with my unit in Cambodia. I've never made it to D.C. but some day I'll make it. Thank you ,April, for your service.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I am not aware of anyone personally who is on the wall, but recall what a humbling experience it was to visit it. Well worth the time to see and gain/refresh ones respect for the sacrifice provided by our military.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

All those people, some of which I went to high school with, died fighting for our country. We all mourn their loss, and their sacrifice. Only question I have is why were we there to start with? I often feel their lives were wasted by those responsible, and that those responsible should have been the ones that died. The French spent 20 or 30 years in that place trying to win a war they could not win. Why did our leaders sacrifice so many young men trying to do the same thing and in the end we still lost.
The draft never got me because I was married and had a child , but I tried to join after my daughter was born. I was turned down as there were to many single volunteers from Colorado, without people to support. Later I had friends return that were never the same again. Damaged both physically and mentally, some just shadows of their former selves., some on drugs. The shame should be placed on those in power for their actions, but it was not and never will be.
All honor to those that surrendered their lives for our country, and dishonor to those that put them in harms way.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

There is a Documentry on public broadcasting system channel right now
About the Vietnam war
Lot of info that they didn't teach us in school
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
grump

Post by grump »

I wear a belt buckle that says Southeast Asia War Games 2nd place, although that's only true for the government side of it, the men fighting the war didn't lose their battles. Congress didn't make it any easier with all their rules that cost a lot of young men their lives and limbs. I apologize for high jacking Aprils thread.
fmartin_gila

Post by fmartin_gila »

Spent almost a year in Chu-Lai area in 1965&66. Lots of boys became men. Lots of lives wasted and lives changed forever, some not to the good side. But we were doing our duty to our country and what we had signed up for. Semper Fidelis. Once a Marine-Always a Marine.

Fred
Day 2

Post by Day 2 »

The wall is in Knoxville TN right now..