1964 Mercury Econoline E-100 or EM-100

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

wwhite

1964 Mercury Econoline E-100 or EM-100

Post by wwhite »

I am needing to know what the VIN/Warranty plate looks like for a factory 1964 Mercury Econoline Van, and to be more specific a Travel Wagon.

Can a factory Mercury Econoline have just 'E-100' on the warranty plate?
1964 Mercury short box 460 innies
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: 1964 Mercury Econoline E-100 or EM-100

Post by jamesdfo »

If the Econolines hold to the same convention as the Ford/Mercury pickups, in 1964, they should have an M in the model designation. (My Warranty Plate shows M-F350)
Additionally, from my factory Shop Manual for my '64 Merc one ton, the first digit of the serial number designates either: 1=Merc V8, 4=Ford V8, 5=Merc 6 cyl, and 6=Ford 6 cyl. Ironicaly, Further down on the warranty plate, it lists an engine code which defines exactly which engine is in the vehicle, eg: RR=292 MD V8
If you want to get in real deep, keep your eye on Ebay for a hard copy of the CANADIAN Master Parts Catalogue for the year range(s) you seek, as they will have all the nomenclature, as well as listings for any of the Mercury specific items (which are all basically badging, etc.
Or, it might be less expensive to find the Canadian Ford/Mercury Shop Manuals, but that only helps with nomenclature, but doesn't give you the ability to look up part numbers.....

**There is a thread on here, by Jason (The BigM) which has the front few pages out of several early years of the slick, and these are specifically the pages from the factory shop manuals showing how to decode the Warranty Plates

James
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Good question. I'm still working on rebuilding my image links from that thread, but here's the front 2 pages of the 1964 shop manual:

I'm not seeing specific mention of the Econolines, other than an 'RY' engine code for the 144 six which wouldn't have been in any other truck.
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

The Big M wrote: I'm still working on rebuilding my image links from that thread, but here's the front 2 pages of the 1964 shop manual:
I have that manual, no mention of econoline. The http://www.mercurypickup.com/truck-data/ site has a ton of information about decoding Canadian VINs. Let me know if there are broken links, I now maintain that site.

I'm hoping someone out there has a 'real' 1964 Mercury Econoline that can firmly give a 'Yes' or 'No' to my question.

There were some weird things that FoMoCo of Canada did in 1964, and it wouldn't surprise me either way if all 1964 Mercury Econolines were 'E100' or 'M-E100'

Thanks James for the "CANADIAN Master Parts Catalogue", I will keep an eye out for that one. I wonder if they have lists for my 1964 Meteor in there?
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Is the "Travel Wagon" the equivalent of the stateside "Falcon Club Wagon"? If, so it may follow the US convention of listing it as a Falcon, with a warranty tag similar to those of the Falcons.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

Toyz wrote:may follow the US convention of listing it as a Falcon, with a warranty tag similar to those of the Falcons.
Interesting, great suggestion.

So, anyone have a 'Falcon Club Wagon' warranty plate, that shows differences than a regular 'Ford Econoline Van'??
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

The Econolines including the Mercury econolines were all built in the States, according to something I read long ago before mercurypickup.com all went to hell. So I doubt if they have the unique vin plates that the Canadian built trucks had. That's all I really know on the matter. Hope that gets you going in the right direction.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..