Tailgate repair panel

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shep
United States of America

Tailgate repair panel

Post by shep »

Hope someone can help with this may have already been covered but I did a search on this site and could not find what I am looking for. I have rust through at the bottom of my tailgate on my 1966 F100 fleet side. I am looking for a weld in repair panel to cut out and replace whats there. I would think somebody has this piece but have been unable to locate one.
Thanks,
Shep
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: Tailgate repair panel

Post by jamesdfo »

Have a look at this thread, it shows how the OP made a very basic die set & pressed a new piece to repair the bottom of his tailgate

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=32276&start=20

James
shep
United States of America

Post by shep »

Thanks James, I assume you would need some type of press to make that work.
Shep
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Yes, looking at the pic of his dies, I believe a press is necessary. He did mention in one post that he might make some if there was interest, so you might email him, he's in PA, but being as he's making it in two pieces, is shouldn't be terribly expensive to ship them....
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I've made short sections for tailgate bottoms. I think you ought to be able to bend on around a pipe and maybe make it in two sections to make the bend more manageable. I'd clamp the pipe over the sheet metal or even drill a few hole and screw both to a workbench top. You also might look for a shop that could make the part for you. I do not know about NC, but there are a lot of shops around Columbus Ohio that could fab up a custom part.