Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

MY OL 66
United States of America

Re: Steve's 64 Short-bed Project

Post by MY OL 66 »

If only you were closer to AZ, and shipping wouldn't be such a killer!!!
Steve F
1965 Mustang Coupe
1966 F-100 Shortbed CC/Ranger
2010 Mustang GT Convertible
2010 Shelby GT500 Convertible
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Well...sold the 17's with center caps and all. I have a set of Wheel Vintiques steelies coming tomorrow....and some vintage Ford chrome center caps. Hopefully I can get everything mounted and balance tomorrow. I am going back to 15 inch wheels all around. I had 15x7's on the front before, I'm going with 15x8's all around and a wider tire on the front. 235/70's on front and 255/70's on the rear. Pics to follow.....
Stay tuned....
1964 F-100
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Looking forward to the new wheel/tire setup! :rocker:
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

OrangeRcode....I was looking forward to the new wheel/tire setup too!....I must have been last on the UPS guys delivery list/route today...lol. The wheels arrived...the center caps arrived...But I didn't have time to get everything done this afternoon. I did get the wheels rattlecanned (is that really a word? I'm rattle can man). So now the wheels are "Sunrise Red" and the valve stems installed and I did get one tire mounted....then ran out of time. I will probably get the other three done first thing in the morning. Then get everything over to the local tire shop for balancing. Stay tuned....we're going to get this done...I haven't driven my truck in 5 days and I'm having withdrawal.
teaser pic...

And a pic from about 2 years ago...my grandsons...
1964 F-100
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Love the vintage chrome caps! That red will really pop against the chrome and white truck. :cheers:
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

They are mounted!

Now to drive it!
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

BTW...I left the 1 1/2" spacers on the front for right now....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Better Pics....
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I ended up with 235/70's on the front and 265/70's on the rear. All four wheels are Wheel Vintiques Series 62 15x8 wheels. I am very happy with the results...rides nice!
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

I was driving around yesterday with my son from Texas...seeing the local sites (cow pastures, etc lol) and about 1 1/2 miles from my home was an neat old overgrown house that had been abandoned for years. With all of the foliage gone I was able to see a '66 Ford F-100 sitting in the backyard....I almost made my son wreck his car...

We stopped and walked back into the yard, there were no signs (posted or no trespassing) so we thought it would be okay. About the time we walked out of the yard to the road the owner drove up and it was tense for about a half a minute. He ended being a decent and friendly guy and told me that he would sell the truck. He had to go home and 'think' about it. He followed us as we left, so he knows where I live and I'm sure he saw my '64 sitting in the driveway. Anyway I might have a new project in the near future. The truck had a 352 with C-6 and was a Custom Cab. The truck, from what I could quickly see, was complete with all chrome trim. The passenger window had been broken out and there was a dent right behind the left rear wheel.

We also went by another house a few miles from my home and looked at a '66 Ford Galaxie. I had been told not to bother the man who lived there, that he was cranky, grouchy, etc. Turned out to be a really nice guy and let my son and I look at the Galaxie sitting out in his side yard. It had 30,756 miles on the odometer and the interior was showroom perfect. There was no rust, rot or bondo in the body. He said he would let it go for $2000...my head almost exploded! Counting my pennies....my wife wants the Galaxie for herself....lol...

The car had been sitting since '04, has a 390 in it with automatic. The exterior just has faded paint (almost perfect patina) and rust spots....stay tuned...it's getting crazy here.....
1964 F-100
MY OL 66
United States of America

1966 Galaxie

Post by MY OL 66 »

Steve: That looks like an excellent find!

I do have a comment with a LOT of "IFs" in it, LOL!

IF you get the Galaxie, and IF you decided to mod it up a little and replace the wheels and hubcaps with other style rims, and IF they are 15" wheels, those hubcaps should be identical to the hubcaps used on '66 Custom Cabs, and IF you decided to sell them, I would be interested in buying them. Like I said, a lot of "Ifs".

Happy Thanksgiving!
Steve F
1965 Mustang Coupe
1966 F-100 Shortbed CC/Ranger
2010 Mustang GT Convertible
2010 Shelby GT500 Convertible
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I’d find the 2,000 as fast as possible.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

Both are great finds Steve, that Galaxy looks super nice.... count those pennies! lol

Jon
ratrapp

Post by ratrapp »

if you get the f100 I have door glass you can have.your not even that far away from me.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks ratrapp! I'm hoping to hear from the owner soon. I might have to go back over to the abandoned house and trespass to get his attention. He did say that he would sell the truck....I just don't know how much he will want for it. In hindsight, I do remember that there was also some damage to the left front fender and you can see in the pic that the drivers side of the front bumper is bent in somewhat. I'm just hoping that he is not greedy and wanting a ridiculous amount for it.
1964 F-100
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Great Thanksgiving! Pics of my grown children, my truck....my family! I am so blessed...
1964 F-100
Blanger
United States of America

Post by Blanger »

SteveCanup wrote:Great Thanksgiving! Pics of my grown children, my truck....my family! I am so blessed...
Agreed!...... great looking family, and the truck ain't bad either....lol
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks Jon!
1964 F-100
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Nice find on the Galaxie! Hope you get it.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

For all who are following...I've mentioned several times about installing a Crown Vic IFS. I have found a Jaguar IFS very reasonably priced and close by. I am waiting to hear back from the seller. Once I do I will go pick it up and begin the installation. I am planning to pull the entire front axle assembly out as a unit. I would like to sell it whole, but will part it out. It is comprised of 4 1/2" mono-springs, Speedway disc brake kit, new gas shocks, and sway bar. None of the parts have been on the truck more than 2-3 years and I haven't put more than 4-5k miles on these parts. It will fit '64 and earlier trucks, and would roll right under and bolt up. I haven't decided on a price yet, but I have spent close to $1200 in the entire assembly. I am willing to make someone a great deal on this....BUT, it will be pick-up only. (This post sounds like a craigslist listing lol). I thought I would go ahead and put this out there....

Also I will do a pictorial of the installation when it occurs. I love driving my truck, and will hate having it off of the road. With winter coming I figure this is the perfect time to do this. Pics to come....

Stay tuned....
1964 F-100