Headlight switch wiring

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Jacobs63

Headlight switch wiring

Post by Jacobs63 »

Please forgive my ignorance for electrical work but the light switch on my 63 is kicking my butt. I've read the wiring diagrams and I've found the hot in and the headlight out. Beyond that I can't find a single hot post on the thing. I'm doing all this with the switch just hanging there. Does the switch need to be grounded for the other controls to work? Connecting a factory switch to a rebel harness. Thank you in advance for all that take the time to help me. This is kicking my butt
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Re: Headlight switch wiring

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

I’m not an electric guy by any means but I have had other switches do funny things when not grounded properly. I would try grounding it and see if that makes a difference. The switch should ground itself when its installed in the dash.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Jacobs63

Post by Jacobs63 »

I'll give that a shot in the morning. This is tough lol
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

I don't think grounding the switch will matter, it's allowing 12v to travel thru to the bulbs. You might have the wrong wire for putting 12v in. It would be easier to check with a continuity meter. If you have a volt meter google it . It's not to hard to do. Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I'm thinking power flow on the early switches is thru piggy-backed fuse block, then back to switch for all but headlamps. I'll check if I have any old versus later switches in stock. The guy at Rebel should be able to answer that, however.

Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul